Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #211

This delay is due to the function P-TTL for Pentax, with external flash and/or with internal flash.
Flash in manual mode, creates no problem, but there is not always time to set it,
and I think, will not do a firmware fix for this delay, they would have already done but the hope is the last to die...

Good things to all pentaxian

01-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Well, here is a very encouraging note. Got the old Sunpak 383 Super Auto flash today (KEH good will gesture on the module-less 444D exchange) - and the flash is fantastic. Small flash with big output and wide light for good dispersion, fast recycle; great with the Lumi 80-20 system. Obviously, no trigger delay on the hotshoe. Best of all, stick a small optical slave on the Sunpak, dial in the Manual Discharge setting anywhere from Full to 1/128th for the on-board (add a Demb to soften) - and you have a lot of flexibility and simplicity with consistent multi-flash. While it isn't quite as flexible as radio trigger systems, you really can travel light and not have to worry about excess connections, excess batteries, and can avoid a lot of fiddling. Best of all, no pre-flash needed.

Feeling much better about the K-3 flash situation now.
01-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #213

Fortunately, we are human, and we can also adapt to delays of more advanced technology such as learning to use a Pentax AF-360FGZ that I find it perfect in manual mode, or the Pentax AF 400FTZ with swivel and extendable head. I wish you good job with the Sunpak 383, you wrote that he is old? It would be well informed on the output current ,as several old flash have a return current very strong ,and can damage the camera . Have a nice evening
01-08-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank the Matt Quote
Fortunately, we are human, and we can also adapt to delays of more advanced technology such as learning to use a Pentax AF-360FGZ that I find it perfect in manual mode, or the Pentax AF 400FTZ with swivel and extendable head. I wish you good job with the Sunpak 383, you wrote that he is old? It would be well informed on the output current ,as several old flash have a return current very strong ,and can damage the camera . Have a nice evening
Actually the issue is voltage, not current. It comes in under 7 volts - very safe. By the 1980s, most flashes were designed with low trigger voltage.

01-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #215

Happy 2015, guys!
I am sorry that this flash delay issue has not been solved entirely!

Is there any Pentaxian(currently owning both K-3 and K-5ii/s) can confirm that
this flash delay issue is introduced by K-3, but K-5ii is free from this?
Thank you in advance!!

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
(My K5ii doesn't work in P-TTL with the external flash and its a known issue.)
Dear gbeaton, could you please elaborate the flash problem with your K-5ii?
Do you mean the exposure using P-TTL not being consistant?

Last edited by souless; 01-13-2015 at 05:56 PM.
01-13-2015, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

Yes, the entire K-5 series has inconsistent pTTL especially in bounce mode - and Pentax officials have essentially indicated that they don't expect to find a fix. Apparently the lengthy pause hard-wired into the K-3 pTTL is intended to somewhat improve flash consistency. Bottom line, at least you have more options with the K-3 to work around pTTL. Coupling on-board M ratio flash with Auto external flash is easy, and there are various radio triggers available for more complex set-ups (working around pTTL).

In my experience, the K-01, K-30/50/500 processing core got the most out of pTTL - but still far from perfect. For 90% of shooting situations, working around pTTL is a more reliable and consistent way to go.
01-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #217

Tested with K-20 and k-5II , the problem "delay" does not exist...

Last edited by Frank the Matt; 01-13-2015 at 08:02 AM.
01-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #218
Site Supporter

My experience with pTTL is limited, but I'll take the K-3's delay over the K-5's inconsistent bounce exposure any day.

That said, my Metz 58 seems to do quite well in auto mode.

01-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #219
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'll take the K-3's delay over the K-5's inconsistent bounce exposure any day.
Amen. I've gotten used to the slight delay although I wish there wasn't one. The exposure consistency is well worth the sacrifice.
01-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #220

Thank you, ScooterMaxi Jim and Frank the Matt
for you input!

I hope the successor of K-3 will fix this.
01-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Yes, the entire K-5 series has inconsistent pTTL especially in bounce mode - and Pentax officials have essentially indicated that they don't expect to find a fix.
This is a 100% correct but it may also be useful to mention that the K-5 P-TTL overexposure bug needs a bit of provoking to rear its ugly head.

So much so, that a fix for the overexposure problem has been proclaimed countless times after firmware updates.

Some posters also claim their K-5 II does not have the bug at all.

I'm inclined to believe that all K-5 (II)s have the bug but that not everyone manages to provoke it.

I'm abstaining anyhow as I shoot fully manual only.
01-19-2015, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Happy 2015, guys!
Is there any Pentaxian(currently owning both K-3 and K-5ii/s) can confirm that
this flash delay issue is introduced by K-3, but K-5ii is free from this?
Thank you in advance!!
I had K-5 IIs and now have K-3. I would take K-5 IIs over K-3 any day when a flashlight is needed. Almost always P-TTL with K-5 IIs was spot on with a bounced speedlight's head.
P-TTL with K-3 is almost unusable to me due to the long delay.
01-19-2015, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This is a 100% correct but it may also be useful to mention that the K-5 P-TTL overexposure bug needs a bit of provoking to rear its ugly head.

So much so, that a fix for the overexposure problem has been proclaimed countless times after firmware updates.

Some posters also claim their K-5 II does not have the bug at all.

I'm inclined to believe that all K-5 (II)s have the bug but that not everyone manages to provoke it.

I'm abstaining anyhow as I shoot fully manual only.
I'll add a bit more as I shoot P-ttl often from a range of Pentax bodies, P-ttl is not faulty or broken though Pentax seem to do their best to implement it badly

My view of various P-ttl implementations

1 Pentax k10d - under exposes badly below average consistency (against ettl etc)
2 Pentax k20d - under exposes average consistency
3 Pentax k7 - tends to over exposure consistency good
4 Pentax KX - good exposure good consistency some Wb issues
5 Pentax K5 - when direct or on body very accurate exposure, consistent and good WB .... When bounced exposure more related to distance than calculated no consistency at all though repeatable if you don't move because it consistent with distance can foibles can be learn't.!!
6 Pentax Q - good exposer good consistency (though one 'bug' flash needs to set 'off' to use external manual flashes/triggers)
7 Pentax K3 - very accurate flash use but considerable delay make flash unusable in any action shooting

in summary the K3 is the best P-ttl camera but also the only one unusable in flash for a considerable chunk of photography in P-ttl
01-19-2015, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

The flash P-TTL delay issue on the K3, and the complete screw-up with P-TTL off camera on the K5 makes me wonder how much testing Pentax do before releasing a new camera. Hundreds of beta-testers are normally let loose on new computer software, picking up most of the egregious errors before it hits the market. Who tests new Pentax cameras? Is it done just in the lab with a standard suite of settings, or are real photographers used out in the field? There are many very competent and trustworthy experienced Pentax shooters on these forums who could be a great beta-testing resource if Ricoh/Pentax were really concerned with getting it right.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 01-19-2015 at 09:23 PM.
01-22-2015, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
I had K-5 IIs and now have K-3. I would take K-5 IIs over K-3 any day when a flashlight is needed. Almost always P-TTL with K-5 IIs was spot on with a bounced speedlight's head.
P-TTL with K-3 is almost unusable to me due to the long delay.
Thank skyer and awaldram!!
Guess I will get a used K-5lls to work with flashgun ATM.