Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #271
Forum Member

I'll find out

He just mentioned that a hardware fix was performed on the flash system. I'll ask him about the delay, or if he had one.
Take care

02-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #272
Forum Member

Flash just wasn't working

I heard from the seller. The flash just wasn't working, or working intermittently, he just sent in back for repair to the flash circuit.

He's got just over 40,000 actuation on the shutter, says he does a lot of time lapse photography. I don't know if this contributed to the hardware failure? I wonder if this is too high a shutter count to consider buying used out of warranty?
Any thoughts?
Take care
02-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
Any thoughts?
Doesn't seem like an appropriate topic for this thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the flash delay.
02-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #274
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Doesn't seem like an appropriate topic for this thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the flash delay.
No worries.

Thanks for the reminder to keep me on track there fella! I'll search out a suitable forum.

Take care

02-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #275

I wonder if K-3ii exhibits this kind of flash delay?
03-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #276
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
I wonder if K-3ii exhibits this kind of flash delay?
Yes it does. Same delay happens when using the Metz 48 AF-1. However, Pentax service claims the LAG DOES NOT HAPPEN with Pentax brand name flash guns. So apparently it's a 3rd party compatibility issue.. or so they say.
03-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
Yes it does. Same delay happens when using the Metz 48 AF-1. However, Pentax service claims the LAG DOES NOT HAPPEN with Pentax brand name flash guns. So apparently it's a 3rd party compatibility issue.. or so they say.
It happens with the AF-540FGZii so if thats their claim, it is incorrect.

03-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #278
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
It happens with the AF-540FGZii so if thats their claim, it is incorrect.
Yes, told me they tested my K-3II with the Metz 48 AF-1 and the Pentax flash, and claim there is no lag with the Pentax flash unit, only with the Metz.
Can't say I'm surprised they lied, though. Pentax tech support is among the worst I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with...

EDIT: Is there anyone who did the test correctly and DOES NOT have this issue?

Last edited by Rayn; 03-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.
03-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Yes, told me they tested my K-3II with the Metz 48 AF-1 and the Pentax flash, and claim there is no lag with the Pentax flash unit, only with the Metz.
Can't say I'm surprised they lied, though. Pentax tech support is among the worst I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with...

EDIT: Is there anyone who did the test correctly and DOES NOT have this issue?
I wonder... are you sure they were both set for P-TTL flash?
If my memory serves me well, the AF-540 has an AUTO thyristor mode which may not have the delay we complain about with P-TTL. It would be nice if some non-partisan party here could actually test them side by side and rule out any differences.
03-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #280
Veteran Member

The pTTL function is the source of the delay. It is related to the calculation of preflash followed by releasing the correct amount of exposure flash when the shutter activates (assuming first curtain is set).

In Auto (or manual, or ratio), no preflash nor calculation by the camera is involved. The camera sends a standard pulse to the main hotshoe as the shutter is opened, and any further restriction of light is an independent action done by the flash after the shutter triggers.
03-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #281

Thanks Rayn and enoeske to confirm this issue on K-3ii

Based on the info from ScooterMaxi Jim and TheOneAndOnlyJH, we have to make sure ask the repair department to set the flash to P-TTL in order to re-produce the delay

Much appreciated!
03-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #282
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I wonder... are you sure they were both set for P-TTL flash?
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Based on the info from ScooterMaxi Jim and TheOneAndOnlyJH, we have to make sure ask the repair department to set the flash to P-TTL in order to re-produce the delay
How else were they supposed to reproduce the issue? The fact that it only happens in P-TTL is the whole point. So yeah.. of course I told them. And Pentax Service Croatia, in their infinite wisdom, says the issue is with 3rd party flash guns. Which is apparently not true. So they lied about testing it. Knowing how they work over there, I'm not surprised.

What we should be focusing on are the people who claim to have no lag. If that's true, that may be the only way to pinpoint the issue.
If not, than Pentax just broke the Flash system...again. And unless they come up with a FW update, we're stuck with a flash delay.

Last edited by Rayn; 03-12-2016 at 05:38 AM.
03-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #283
Pentaxian

What we should be focusing on are the people who claim to have no lag. If that's true, that may be the only way to pinpoint the issue.
If not, than Pentax just broke the Flash system...again.
Ricoh Japan already confirmed that the K-3 uses a deliberate P-TTL delay.

No need for further detective work.

If you use manual flash level control, you not only get rid of the K-3 delay but also of the whole P-TTL pre-flash related delay.
03-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Ricoh Japan already confirmed that the K-3 uses a deliberate P-TTL delay.

No need for further detective work.

If you use manual flash level control, you not only get rid of the K-3 delay but also of the whole P-TTL pre-flash related delay.
It could be worse (well, relatively). They could have used the K-5 protocol which is essentially useless for quality photography if you want 95% certainty of a good exposure - i.e. bounce or any kind of softening that requires something other than crappy direct flash. Essentially, you have to pick your poison - shutter release speed or accuracy. Although, I must say that the K-01/K-30/50 was a pretty good compromise - and involved very little delay. Pentax engineering really doesn't have a clue on this.

Bottom line -- perhaps using the non-pTTL strobist methods from decades ago might be the safest bet. Yes, you can even do multi-flash that way! Be brave...
05-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #285

sorry to dig this grave!
A little favor to ask for the people who got K-1
Could you please kindly confirm the P-TTL delay gotten fixed or at least shorten or still the same?
Much appreciated!!