Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to her some folk are having problems, and happy to report that I cannot fault the K-3's flash performance. No lag or delay, exposures seem spot on, even bounce flash P-TTL. I have ben using both a Metz 58 AF-1 and pentax afg 540, as well as the on board flash.

I have been using the flash a lot over the past 24 hrs as I also received some Aokatek triggers, so I have been trying to work out how to use them.

Last edited by wizofoz; 11-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
11-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
Forum Member

Hi Wizofoz, are you on manual flash mode?

If not, can you please try on Manual Flash mode and observe if you see any differences?

It's just that people may have difference definitions or tolerances for "lag".
11-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #33
Forum Member

try this guys

remove your 2nd SD card just leave one in first slot, does it make a difference? just thinking out loud

Last edited by Croc; 11-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.
11-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
Forum Member

Hi Croc, I just tried it, it didn't make a difference. Cheers.

11-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yea, it's really hard to describe or time properly... the lag is there but its a fraction of a second.

Say you were to press the shutter in one clean movement - press down and let go.. In auto-mode, the flash fires just as you let go... in manual mode, the flash fires as you press down. That's how inperceivable the lag can be if you don't have anything to compare against.
11-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Teal Quote

If not, can you please try on Manual Flash mode and observe if you see any differences?

I did not think mine had any sort of lag - camera flash or with a Metz 48 AF-1, after setting the camera flash to manual mode I realize that there is a definite delay using it normally.
Nothing wrong with the results at all, apart from the manual ones.

As teal said it is a perception thing.

Last edited by BeetleStuff; 11-15-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarity
11-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
bxf
Site Supporter

Is it affected by the SR setting? Just a shot in the dark, because SR causes a short delay.
11-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Is it affected by the SR setting? Just a shot in the dark, because SR causes a short delay.
Unfortunately, no - I had tested that already.

11-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Forum Member

can't stop testing lol
packed k5 again
unpacked again
final conclusion
1. best way to test is to use build in flash, set your camera to M and set T and A to match flash, 1/125 or whatever it is (shutter noise needs to be constant to spot the difference best)
take few snaps with flash then as you glued to view finder close onboard flash and do few more shots, then pop flash open again and so on.
2. delay is very very small, this isn't half a second, not anywhere near that
3. there is difference between k3 and k5
4, considering that k3 does PTTL metering so well one have to wonder if maybe k5 was the one with real problem and was firing before correct metering could be done

for me only question left here is if they can speed up the process without messing up metering as we seen in previous models, because as much I love fast and responsive camera I prefer well exposured shots more
11-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
Inactive Account

This quote descrbes perfectly what I also see on my K3:
"Say you were to press the shutter in one clean movement - press down and let go.. In auto-mode, the flash fires just as you let go... in manual mode, the flash fires as you press down. That's how inperceivable the lag can be if you don't have anything to compare against."
My k5's flash fires as I press down.

I don't think it would trouble me, but it would be nice if the delay disappeared in a fw upgrade
11-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
wonder if maybe k5 was the one with real problem and was firing before correct metering could be done
That's an interesting possibility.
11-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Teal Quote

Teal, I have no discernible lag in any mode other than the red eye modes.

Manual = no delay
Flash on = no delay
Flash on + Red eye = pre flash delay as expected
slow sync speed = no delay
slow sync with red eye = pre flash as expected
trailing curtain = flash at end of exposure
Wireless Master = no delay
Wireless Control = no delay

Edit----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, after reading the rest of the posts, I gather you guys are talking about milliseconds or micro seconds of delay. I was looking for something around the half second mark.
Maybe there is the slightest delay, but as was pointed out above, if that is the penalty for getting the exposure correct, is it such a big deal? I have not had enough exposure to C&N cameras to know, but is there a similar delay when doing TTL metering with say a 70D or D7100?

Last edited by wizofoz; 11-15-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: sdditional info
11-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Teal, I have no discernible lag in any mode other than the red eye modes.

Manual = no delay
Flash on = no delay
Flash on + Red eye = pre flash delay as expected
slow sync speed = no delay
slow sync with red eye = pre flash as expected
trailing curtain = flash at end of exposure
Wireless Master = no delay
Wireless Control = no delay

Edit----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, after reading the rest of the posts, I gather you guys are talking about milliseconds or micro seconds of delay. I was looking for something around the half second mark.
Maybe there is the slightest delay, but as was pointed out above, if that is the penalty for getting the exposure correct, is it such a big deal? I have not had enough exposure to C&N cameras to know, but is there a similar delay when doing TTL metering with say a 70D or D7100?
that is good question wizofoz, is this bug and how does C&N act?
if they can speed it up without penalty to metering than that would be great but i don't see it as end of the world just yet and sure as hell i'm sick of using manual flash on my K5 to get predictable exposure especially when bouncing
11-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
Forum Member

wizofoz post got me googling and sure enough TTL on Canon adds small lag as well, I'm willing to bet that nikon would have same "issue"
Canon T1i Review: Full Review - Performance
11-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
wizofoz post got me googling and sure enough TTL on Canon adds small lag as well, I'm willing to bet that nikon would have same "issue"
Canon T1i Review: Full Review - Performance
Yet another 'undocumented feature' of the K-3???