Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #91
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Just tried my on board flash again. Shot about 5 times -no hesitation. This seems to be a non issue with maybe a few early models exhibiting the delay.
If you compare using thé two flash modes, P-TTL mode and M mode you have no difference in respons?

02-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #92

I actually have a slight delay when in flash manual mode . But I do not have a delay in P-TTL!! Is this what is happening to others?
02-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps the camera is waiting for the auto-focus to complete. The delay between P-TTL pre-flash and the firing of the flash is brief, a fraction of a second, and I believe you can set your camera so the shutter opens immediately when you trigger it instead for waiting for the camera's auto-focus. The only other thing I can think of that will cause a delay is setting your flash for red eye reduction.
02-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reasonable assumption. The OP should put the camera in manual focus mode then retry the experiment to see if the delay is gone.

Jack

02-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #95
bxf
Veteran Member

I assume the K-3 has something like the K-5 "Link exposure to AF point", or something like that. I know this is a shot in the dark, but has anyone tried to see if this setting is a factor in the delay? Just a thought, because at least one poster says he does not experience the delay.a
02-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #96
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Reasonable assumption. The OP should put the camera in manual focus mode then retry the experiment to see if the delay is gone.

Jack
This has been tried before and suggested to me by Pentax support. No effect whatsoever.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I assume the K-3 has something like the K-5 "Link exposure to AF point", or something like that. I know this is a shot in the dark, but has anyone tried to see if this setting is a factor in the delay? Just a thought, because at least one poster says he does not experience the delay.a
Interesting idea. But also no effect. I am still yet to find any combination of settings that would work.

BTW, I bought camera 2 weeks ago from B&H. Although it has been manufactured in October, I wouldn't assume it's early models. But if some people experience it and others don't, hardware may be to blame.
02-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 Silver here with the delay as well. Its small but noticeable between pressing the shutter and pre-flash

02-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
K-3 Silver here with the delay as well
Not firing the flash until the lens is focused is a feature, not a bug. I don't know what the standard delay for P-TTL communication is, but with strobe flashes, very short (fractions of a second) gaps between light flashes are perceptible. As long as the flash and the shutter are synced, and your subject doesn't fall over in the meantime, a one or two second delay shouldn't be a problem.
02-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Not firing the flash until the lens is focused is a feature, not a bug.
Camera is pre-focused using the rear AF button. After focus is confirmed, shutter is depressed. There is a noticeable delay before the pre-flash begins. This did not occur with any previous Pentax DSLR.

a one or two second delay shouldn't be a problem.
Are you insane? That would be a huge problem.
02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #100
jup

Camera is pre-focused using the rear AF button. After focus is confirmed, shutter is depressed. There is a noticeable delay before the pre-flash begins. This did not occur with any previous Pentax DSLR.

Are you insane? That would be a huge problem.
Yeah. Luckily delay is really relatively brief - was just playing with flash in downtown San Francisco yesterday, taking photos of moving cars in the night with trailing curtain sync and it still worked relatively well, but the delay is there even with trailing curtain sync and long shutter - before the preflash. Now, with 2s delay... The car would have been kind of gone by that time.
02-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be a huge problem
I have no idea what kind of flash pictures you are taking, but as long as the flash fires while the shutter is open, I can't imagine what your problem is. Could there be a problem with your camera? Perhaps, but the hand isn't quicker than the eye (or the camera), and if you need to capture the instant an event occurs, you need to look at a different method of triggering your flash than one press of your finger, and that method won't work with P-TTL. Sorry.
02-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #102

build date

QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
This has been tried before and suggested to me by Pentax support. No effect whatsoever.

Interesting idea. But also no effect. I am still yet to find any combination of settings that would work.

BTW, I bought camera 2 weeks ago from B&H. Although it has been manufactured in October, I wouldn't assume it's early models. But if some people experience it and others don't, hardware may be to blame.

How do you know your camera was built in October? How can I find out about mine?
02-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #103
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
How do you know your camera was built in October? How can I find out about mine?
It's in the EXIF. If your viewer doesn't show it, just use Adam's excellent online tool: Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
02-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #104
Veteran Member

I have no idea what kind of flash pictures you are taking, but as long as the flash fires while the shutter is open, I can't imagine what your problem is. Could there be a problem with your camera? Perhaps, but the hand isn't quicker than the eye (or the camera), and if you need to capture the instant an event occurs, you need to look at a different method of triggering your flash than one press of your finger, and that method won't work with P-TTL. Sorry.
Let me give you an example were the additional 1/10 delay is disastrous

Taking a picture of a professional fly swimmer I line up the shot as the swimmer surfaces focused ready to shoot press the shutter ......... swimmer disappears under water flash fires

I can only assume you have little experience of flash or P-ttl and shoot nothing but static subjects as even 'chasing kids' would be frustrating with this delay.

As the delay is not part of P-ttl and is introduced with the k3 it can only a bug.
02-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #105

Thank you Jup for the manufacturing date info. The site was very beneficial. My camera was manufactured on 10-13-1013. Does anyone know when the first date is of manufacture? Anyone getting more recent cameras? Maybe I should start a different thread? I did have a complete shut down of the camera yesterday. I updated last night to the 1.01 firmware upgrade. I don't like getting one of the first cameras off the line. But I guess that is what upgraded firmware is all about.