Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-3 with SMC Takumar M42s

I have a raft of excellent M42 lenses from my Spotmatic days - including the 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2.0 and 3.5 etc - and have been looking over the last couple years for a DSLR to use them. Bought several K-M42 genuine adapters when available in preparation.

Now I might have enough saved to finally get something. Until the K-3, I was pretty much settled on the K-50, though, with my nice lenses, I liked the idea of the K-5 IIs without the AA filter.(but the rest seemingly obsolete). Now the K-3 - with the attraction of no AA, plus the 3/2 display. But double the money.

Anyone able to post their experiences yet with good M42s on both the K-3 and K-50?

Any and all experiences, recommendations and opinions appreciated. Which should I get?? Is the K-3 worth twice the cost - given the lenses I plan to use?

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by cahudson42; 11-14-2013 at 02:04 PM.
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
I have a raft of excellent M42 lenses from my Spotmatic days - including the 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2,5 etc - and have been looking over the last couple years for a DSLR to use them. Bought several K-M42 genuine adapters when available in preparation.

Now I might have enough saved to finally get something. Until the K-3, I was pretty much settled on the K-50, though, with my nice lenses, I liked the idea of the K-5 IIs without the AA filter.(but the rest seemingly obsolete). Now the K-3 - with the attraction of no AA, plus the 3/2 display. But double the money.

Anyone able to post their experiences yet with good M42s on both the K-3 and K-50?

Any and all experiences, recommendations and opinions appreciated. Which should I get?? Is the K-3 worth twice the cost - given the lenses I plan to use?

Thanks!
Chris
The K-3 does have more resolution and a nice screen on the back, but the K-50 has everything you need for takumars, in a way: a nice pentaprism viewfinder and great image quality. I would say the K-50 (currently $499 here: Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body - Black 10883) is a much better value for what you need.

Don't get me wrong- you will get improved image quality from the K-3, but it all boils down to the price you're willing/wanting to pay.

I have both cameras so perhaps I'll be able to do a comparative shoot this weekend just to see how those old Takumars fare on the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I don't have a K-50, but I do have a K-3, K-5, K7 and K-x, and lots of M42 lenses.

The only M42 lens I have tested so far is the super - takumar 85mm 1.9. If the other lenses give the results that this one does, I would say hat the K-3 is the best camera I have used for these venerable lenses. The additional level of detail afforded by the 24mp sensor is outstanding.

If I get a chance later today, I'll set up a tripod and do a comparison test between the K-5 ( which I believe is the same sensor as he K-50?) and the K-3 for you using a variety of lenses.
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A used K-01 would make a great home for Tak lenses on the cheap.

11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thing that just occurred to me.
With the K-3 the inbuilt flash can be used in M mode and powered down to 1/128, (or 7 stops) with the M42 lenses. Very useful for a bit of fill flash. If I'm not mistaken, the other K mount bodies can only do a flash compensation of -2 EV, and the ttl flash metering with these manual lenses seems iffy at best.

However, as Adam has pointed out the K50 for $500 is a steal, for that price you can buy a nice external flash as well, and still have change from he price of a K-3.
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
green button

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Hi

I don't have a K-50, but I do have a K-3, K-5, K7 and K-x, and lots of M42 lenses.

The only M42 lens I have tested so far is the super - takumar 85mm 1.9. If the other lenses give the results that this one does, I would say hat the K-3 is the best camera I have used for these venerable lenses. The additional level of detail afforded by the 24mp sensor is outstanding.

If I get a chance later today, I'll set up a tripod and do a comparison test between the K-5 ( which I believe is the same sensor as he K-50?) and the K-3 for you using a variety of lenses.
Thanks for the input wizofoz! I have a ton of old M42, 'K' and 'M' series lenses that I've been waiting to hear how the K-3 'green' meter button works.
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
'A used K-01 would make a great home for Tak lenses on the cheap.'

A fascinating alternative.. K-01 Selling new for $539 with the 2 kit lenses. After I sell them, I'm at maybe $400? (Though Adam makes a great case for the K-50 at $500. :>)

Question is (for me) the viewfinder. I was anticipating needing to use focus peaking via the display anyway for the M42s - so no K-01 disadvantage there.

But Adam specifically mentions the K-50 pentaprism...

Arghhh! Looking forward to adams/wizofoz tests!

(Yes - no WX K-01 sealing - but neither are the Taks...)

Plus the simplicity of the K-01 would make me less concerned about buying it used... which except for lenses - I usually avoid... hmmmm

11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Namjam, the K-3 green button metering seems to work just like it does on the K-5 and K-7. It's one of the least appreciated features of these bodies.
11-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Compare K-3 vs. 16mp (K-50, K01 etc) using Macro Tak

LOVE to see comparison of the new K-3 24mp sensor with the 16mp - using something like the SMC Macro Takumar 50mm F4 M42.. Anyone??
11-16-2013, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I just got my K-3, but I haven't tested my Takumars on it yet. BUT, I can vouch for the K-01 option. Focus peaking is a great boon for manual shooting. I'm sure that you'll enjoy shooting with a K-01/Takumar combo because of focus peaking. I find it much, much easier to manual focus on the K-01 than with any of my Pentax DSLR bodies. Here are a couple of shots with my SMC 50/1.4 and one with the DFA 100/2.8 on manual.

11-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
You can get used K-01s for $300 and less without too much trouble. I use my Taks on my K-01 regularly and they work well. The focus peaking is very handy and I love the look of the results I get from those old lenses.
Bought a yellow and black K-01 for $250 a piece and they were new. Used ones routinely go up on these forums for $300 or less. I use my Helios lens with the M42 adapter all the time and with results I'm quite happy with.
11-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
ttl flash metering with these manual lenses seems iffy at best.
Yep, that would be the case since no Pentax dSLR since the *ist series supports TTL flash. Sorry, could not resist.

That being said, even P-TTL is iffy in that it is also not supported for lenses lacking the A-contacts on the mount. When using your Takumars you are limited to a calculated f/stop based on guide number or an auto-thyristor flash with on-flash sensor. Be aware that many older flashes have trigger voltages that can fry your camera's innards.

Steve
11-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K-3 vs. K-01 Focus Peaking

Seems a number of Members like the K-01 with M42 because of its Focus Peaking,

From K-01 review: 'the K-01 performs quite well overall and its CDAF system has been significantly improved over that found in Pentax DSLR Live View modes. The K-01 also has some new features to make focusing easier, such as auto-zooming and focus peaking.'

Is this still correct, or are the K-3 (and K-50?) now 'improved' and the same as the K-01?

Or is Focus Peaking still somehow different from the K-01? Is there also auto-zooming?

Last edited by cahudson42; 11-17-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: clarity
11-26-2013, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks All!

for the replies and suggestions... Invaluable to me.

Based on all these, I decided to start by 'dipping my toe in the water' with a lightly used K-01 - in large part since I intend to use the camera only with my M42 lenses, and focus peaking/focus zoom with it appears useful enough.

My first 'new' Pentax since I bought my Spotmatic ES-II 'a few years ago'.....

So far, so good. Maybe a K-3 in future sometime, but for now the $250 K-01 is great for me..

Chris
11-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
for the replies and suggestions... Invaluable to me.

Based on all these, I decided to start by 'dipping my toe in the water' with a lightly used K-01 - in large part since I intend to use the camera only with my M42 lenses, and focus peaking/focus zoom with it appears useful enough.

My first 'new' Pentax since I bought my Spotmatic ES-II 'a few years ago'.....

So far, so good. Maybe a K-3 in future sometime, but for now the $250 K-01 is great for me..

Chris
I think you'll learn to love it! I know I love all three of mine!