Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

K-3 vs 70D

This may be the wrong place to start this conversation to get a non-biased opinion, but Christmas is coming and I am in a dilemma.

The wife shoots with a Canon T2i, she has been pretty happy with it as it was her first DSLR and she has never shot with anything better. She now shoots way more than I ever suspected she would, she is not great, but shoots a lot for the school, the swim team, choraliers....etc, etc. So, basically I want to upgrade her for Xmas.

If any of you follow the Canon line, you will know that the Rebel line is now up to the T5i with the exact same sensor as the old t2i, so basically no change in IQ. The 70D gets a new sensor, but from what I can tell it is not significantly better but does get a slight bump in low light performance.

Since she does have lenses that would need to be replaced ( 50mm f/1.8, 17-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 ) financially it would make more sense to upgrade to the 70D than change manufacturers, but the Pentax K-3 is really calling to me with it's low light performance, in-body stabilization, weather sealing, etc.

Is it really a fools folly to jump ship and move her to Pentax? Canon has been so slow to update the most important part of the APS-C line, the SENSOR that I am really disappointed. Anyone else dump Canon to go to Pentax?

It will not be MY camera, I still have a 5DmrkII ( but jonesing bad for the Nikon df ), Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji X100, Pentax Q, so really it will no impact me either way...other than money, but you can see from my line upthat I am a bit of a gear addict.

Anyone care to talk me off the ledge?

--mitch

11-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's foolish at all to look at the competition. The T2 is old as you say - and Canon doesn't seem as interested in evolving the APSC line as much anymore. That should tell you a little about where they're going.

I'd seriously consider a K3 with 18-135 - it's a great little kit. Bang for the buck, Pentax continues to raise the bar.

I think selling her lenses probably won't be a problem, but the camera isn't worth too much now.
11-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Queued Quote
she is not great
I'm sure you've informed her of this fact...

As the upgrade is for her, how do you think she'll adapt to the basic UI of a new brand? I presume it'll be a gift, so if I had to make the choice I'd keep with an upgrade to something she's more or less familiar with already...
11-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I don't think it's foolish at all to look at the competition. The T2 is old as you say - and Canon doesn't seem as interested in evolving the APSC line as much anymore. That should tell you a little about where they're going.

I'd seriously consider a K3 with 18-135 - it's a great little kit. Bang for the buck, Pentax continues to raise the bar.

I think selling her lenses probably won't be a problem, but the camera isn't worth too much now.
QuoteQuote:
...selling her lenses probably won't be a problem, but the camera isn't worth
too much now.
Thanks Terry, you are correct. Her T2i is not worth much, in addition to the lenses I mentioned, she also has the kit lenses 18-55 and 55-250, so as a bundle she might get $300, but it's not really a factor. I was really hoping for a Canon announcement this holiday season, but as you point out, it looks like they have little interest in the APS-C line

11-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
If shes shooting indoors, and have 70-200/2.8 , than I would stay with the Canon. Maybe consider to go for 6D for even better low light, or just buy 70D.

Im definitely Pentax man, but I also know how anxious my wife is, when there is something new in technics to learn. Canon has diffferent ergonomy. I would not recommend changing whole system.

Anyway K3 is excellent camera! ;-)
11-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Originally posted by Queued
QuoteQuote:
she is not great

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure you've informed her of this fact...
haha, NO Christo, I would not say that to her. I will give her this, she does shoot manually only, it took a few months but I was able to get her comfortable with exposure. And the teachers, parents, and students that she shoots just love her pics..so I really should not have made a negative comment....and I'll deny it completely if it gets back to her :-)

As far as changing UI, I don't think it would mess her up too much, she is pretty tech savvy, taught computer classes...so she could learn a new UI without much fuss. I guess my struggle is, is the K-3 enough better than the 70D to justify selling gear off? And will Pentax stay ahead of Canon in the APS-C line in the future so I am not facing this problem again a few years from now if Canon gets their act together after I have invested in Pentax glass? I guess that can not really be answered today.

I know you can't chase technology as companies leap frog each other with new releases, but seriously the t2i, t3i, t4i,t5i, 7D, 60D all having the same sensor...it's like canon is just not trying. Seems they are more interested in video, which I couldn't care less about.
11-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it really a fools folly to jump ship and move her to Pentax?
Most certainly.

If she likes what she has, then keep your wife happy. After 30 years of marriage I've learned that one at least.

For a more technical response. . .I'm sure some folks may provide you with seemingly strong Internet-based opinions; I'll speak from direct experience.

The Canon 70D is a really good camera. The K-3 seems like a really good camera too, but I cannot see how a change will benefit her significantly. I've owned a 7D for the past four years; I think the sensor is pretty similar to the 70D as are many components (excepting the nice articulated LCD of the 70D, and the higher performance of the 7D). I've owned the K-3 for over two days now. I'm undecided whether to keep the K-3, even though I've got a sizable stash of excellent K-mount lenses from past years of DSLR use.

While the Canon sensor is older and a little noisier, for 98% of most shooters' needs it serves them quite well. Good post-processing skill helps. I don't think most civilians will see any differences in prints made that are under 18-inches in size. Canon's AF is still top notch, I'll compare it to the K-3 after a soccer match shoot tomorrow. I've sold plenty of shots taken with a 7D and have several bird and landscape shots published in another author's book that comes off the printer next week. Canon has significantly improved the usability and interface since your 5DMK2 (which I use frequently) to where I prefer some aspects to the K-3. I think certain button placements on the K-3 are less-than-wonderful, and the camera is not all that small or light---especially with longer glass, unlike earlier Pentax models. Pentax flash system is inferior to Canon. Period.

Finally, the two zooms your wife has are notably better than anything in K-mount right now. The 70-200mm f2.8 is considered one of the greatest zooms available, if not the best, so why mess with that?

All DSLRs are amazingly good these days, and if one is vested with a platform that serves their needs quite well, then the rationale for switching is weak IMHO.

M

11-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Step back from the ledge

Well it comes down to the lenses and you already have lenses that are really above the camera body she has so I would buy the camera to match the lenses.
11-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Most certainly.

If she likes what she has, then keep your wife happy. After 30 years of marriage I've learned that one at least.

For a more technical response. . .I'm sure some folks may provide you with seemingly strong Internet-based opinions; I'll speak from direct experience.

The Canon 70D is a really good camera. The K-3 seems like a really good camera too, but I cannot see how a change will benefit her significantly. I've owned a 7D for the past four years; I think the sensor is pretty similar to the 70D as are many components (excepting the nice articulated LCD of the 70D, and the higher performance of the 7D). I've owned the K-3 for over two days now. I'm undecided whether to keep the K-3, even though I've got a sizable stash of excellent K-mount lenses from past years of DSLR use.

While the Canon sensor is older and a little noisier, for 98% of most shooters' needs it serves them quite well. Good post-processing skill helps. I don't think most civilians will see any differences in prints made that are under 18-inches in size. Canon's AF is still top notch, I'll compare it to the K-3 after a soccer match shoot tomorrow. I've sold plenty of shots taken with a 7D and have several bird and landscape shots published in another author's book that comes off the printer next week. Canon has significantly improved the usability and interface since your 5DMK2 (which I use frequently) to where I prefer some aspects to the K-3. I think certain button placements on the K-3 are less-than-wonderful, and the camera is not all that small or light---especially with longer glass, unlike earlier Pentax models. Pentax flash system is inferior to Canon. Period.

Finally, the two zooms your wife has are notably better than anything in K-mount right now. The 70-200mm f2.8 is considered one of the greatest zooms available, if not the best, so why mess with that?

All DSLRs are amazingly good these days, and if one is vested with a platform that serves their needs quite well, then the rationale for switching is weak IMHO.

M
Thanks Miguel, your opinion is especially valuable since you have a foot in both camps. While the 7D is really a fine sports camera, it does have the same sensor as the t2i. And outdoors it is a really decent sensor, but has the same struggles under low light. My three daughters are all swimmers and shooting indoors in most aquatic centers is akin to shooting in a cave, so shooting action in the low light with high iso has been a little disappointing. Actually most of her other shooting is indoors also.

I should have mentioned that her 70-200 2.8 is not the expensive Canon L glass, it's the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, which is also available for Pentax so it would not be a huge sacrifice to replace it with the Pentax version.

Your other insights all make sense too and realistically I should just upgrade her to the 70D. With that said I'd really like to hear how your soccer shoot goes tomorrow and how you feel about focus tracking compared to the 7D.

Thanks,

--mitch
11-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

If you are only interested in stills (and video not very important), the sensor used in Pentax (or Nikon) cameras is better than in Canons. However, if you want fast autofocus you'll be better with Canon (or Nikon). usability: I prefer Pentax, but I think it comes down to individual preference...
11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on what you are wishing for. I think the K3 or, even the K5 II has a lot better sensor than that found in Canon APS-C cameras, but there are many other reasons to choose a camera than the sensor and if you are invested in Canon, then continuing with them would be reasonable.
11-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Miguel, your opinion is especially valuable since you have a foot in both camps. While the 7D is really a fine sports camera, it does have the same sensor as the t2i. And outdoors it is a really decent sensor, but has the same struggles under low light. My three daughters are all swimmers and shooting indoors in most aquatic centers is akin to shooting in a cave, so shooting action in the low light with high iso has been a little disappointing. Actually most of her other shooting is indoors also.

I should have mentioned that her 70-200 2.8 is not the expensive Canon L glass, it's the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, which is also available for Pentax so it would not be a huge sacrifice to replace it with the Pentax version.

Your other insights all make sense too and realistically I should just upgrade her to the 70D. With that said I'd really like to hear how your soccer shoot goes tomorrow and how you feel about focus tracking compared to the 7D.

Thanks,

--mitch
You are welcome Mitch. Stay tuned.

Consider the Canon 85mm f1.8 for swimming. Fast and relatively affordable.

M
11-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Banned

Well I was going to say that the 7D would be great, but if money isn't a real problem then you will benefit from the much better sensor that Pentax uses for their camera's. Canon simply can't keep up with the technics that Sony has in this area.
11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #14

Can't you get a 5D mk2 for cheap these days? Where I live it is the same price as the K3.
11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Can't you get a 5D mk2 for cheap these days? Where I live it is the same price as the K3.
I'd be willing to bet she wouldn't want to carry around that much weight/bulk if she's used to a little Rebel.