Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How is the sale of K-3?

Just wonder if there is a statistic to look at the sale figure of K-3?

... and how the sale compare to K-5.

11-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well there are sales overhere and most off the first batch arrived is also sold. So most shops again have no stock.
11-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I think it is pretty soon to judge about the success of K3, as well as comparing it to the K5's sales.

A lot of people are pre-ordering, buying it now, but there is always a lot people waiting for more users reviews and better price

So, we should wait at least six months to see if K3 was a success
11-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Just wonder if there is a statistic to look at the sale figure of K-3?

... and how the sale compare to K-5.
It's doing pretty well. Not revolutionary in the US as it's not quite selling out, but it's definitely a big hit among Pentax users. Without question the most successful camera since the K-5, I'd say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's doing pretty well. Not revolutionary in the US as it's not quite selling out, but it's definitely a big hit among Pentax users. Without question the most successful camera since the K-5, I'd say.
Well all those early adapters for the K-5 at the end off 2010 are looking at a three year old camera and had some time to save up for a new camerabody.
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Just bought mine today

Just bought my K-3 today. Bought it in my city which is a relatively small city. They received their first batch yesterday (they received 3) and I bought the last one today. This shop wasn't selling Pentax anymore until 6 months ago. The salesman told me that Ricoh changed their representative and are way more agressive now in their marketing efforts. So, I think the K-3 is probably the beginning of a new era for Pentax.
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sold out in Australia. We are waiting for more stock to arrive.

11-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears to me that members of the forum have really jumped on this camera. Since we are not a huge population overall, that doesn't say a whole lot, but it is interesting. And overall opinion seems to be quite positive as well.
11-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It would really make sense only if users from other system would actually jump ship just to get this camera, of course native Pentax users will buy this provided that this new camera meets their needs and at the same time revolutionary.
11-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember pentax market share is just 2%! Its not gonna change overnight regardless of whether K3 is the best APSC camera ever by Pentax. There is just so much more that goes on to sell a DSLR. IMHO the big fishes are not enthusiasts like us but professionals who make money from the gear.
Unless 'they' like k3, pentax will most probably hover around 2% market share
11-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Remember pentax market share is just 2%! Its not gonna change overnight regardless of whether K3 is the best APSC camera ever by Pentax. There is just so much more that goes on to sell a DSLR. IMHO the big fishes are not enthusiasts like us but professionals who make money from the gear.
Unless 'they' like k3, pentax will most probably hover around 2% market share
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it around 5%?

Also, most money is made of compacts/entry/mid level cameras, not the pro gear.

Low grade stuff makes money for the company and high grade stuff represents it.
11-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It depends if we're counting compacts, ILCs or DSLRs. But counting compacts would make for misleading figures - the companies most dependant on them would appear "better", while that's the worst market they could be on.
11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I guess it's lost on the nay sayers, that being sold out after a couple weeks in so many places is way better than not being sold out. There are really only two options at the moment. Sold out good, not sold out bad. So right now it's good, at some point in the future it may take a turn for the worse, but right now it's as good as it can be. Especially considering how quickly they sold out. Many actually sold their first shipment, with pre-orders, and had none to put on the shelves in their stores. After I pre-ordered mine, I phoned Henry's in Canada and asked when I'd be able to see one in the stores (thinking I'd drive 3 hours and have a look before I bought) , they had enough pro-oders they guaranteed me none of the first shipment were going to the stores, they were all pre-ordered, and then they said they also couldn't guarantee their second shipment would get to the store either. Now I assume that was just sales BS, but I doubt he would have said it if there was no chance it would come true. I kept my pre-order.

And that was before many of us knew how good the camara really is.

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.
11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Stats, Just Guesswork?

Here's my guess, and I don't have a single chart, link or reference to back it up. OK?
Counting ILC's and DSLR's (all formats), no compacts;
Canon/Nikon together; 80% (within that, maybe Canon 55%, Nikon 45%, although Nikon may be moving slightly higher)
Sony; 10%
Everyone else together; 10% (within that, Pentax 33%, the other 67%, your guess is as good as mine!)
Giving Pentax a 3.3% market share of the ILC and DSLR total market.
Last, I think Ricoh has their eye firmly on Sony's lunch money. Anything they can take away from Canon/Nikon would be icing on the cake, but not likely to happen soon, considering how loyal users of those brands are and their massive market presence.
Just a guess, nothing more!
Ron
11-17-2013, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter what your market share is, if you're selling everything you have to sell, at the price you are asking.