Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

You bought the version for the body without grip. Of course it's not blocking the battery.

With the grip, it's a bit different. But I think I might just give them a try, if they can still make this one. Thank you!

Attached Images

05-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
You bought the version for the body without grip. Of course it's not blocking the battery.
Well, I've been using the "universal ones", and unless you shift those over about 1/4"-1/2" inch and have them project off the side of the camera, they do block the battery. So, I'm happy that this one doesn't. It was built for the K5, and I haven't got a K5, so I wasn't absolutely sure how it would fit on a K3...
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
With the grip, it's a bit different. But I think I might just give them a try, if they can still make this one. Thank you!
The url seems to be this for that one: http://www.mestos.com/2015/09/pentax-k3-l-plate-for-grip-only.html . Good luck. And you are welcome.

Last edited by asharpe; 05-21-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added link for the mestos.com site for the PD-K3HL
05-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered one. It shipped a little while ago.
06-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

Received it last week sometime while I was in Baltimore. Got home over the weekend, was able to try it out a bit (nothing worth keeping, just test shots to see how it fit the tripod - quite well).

Here's what it looks like on the camera:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
06-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #80

I do have RRS K-3 L-bracket. I keep it on the camera all the time, you forget it's there as it was the part of camera design. Actually, RRS L-Bracket helps me to keep camera body with my left hand when neccessary (vertical shots with flash to the right side), that may be specific to RRS L-plate, if you look at the product photos (on RRS BK3-L: L-plate for K-3 site) you find the left part of the L-plate is put forward a lot, which works great as a left hand grip and helps to balance the camera with lens.

I don't use battery grip with K-3, I used to have k10 or K-5 II battery grips, but was not fond of it (if I liked the bulk of the grip, I would go for FF instead). On the contrary, I keep heavy flash unit (AF-540FGZ or Sigma EF-610DG Super) on camera all the time.

* RRS L-plate has some very minor play with K-3 body, and you have to fix the screw very very tightly (I was afraid to brake the in-camera mount); I guess this is due to the relatively short 'lip' of the RRS bottom plate and no front 'lip'.
* I wish there was a strap hole on the left part of the L-plate (there is a strap hole on the right side of bottom plate).
* Both K-3 body door are fully operational, but access to both focus mode switch and AF-mode button is VERY difficult (actually I hate this Pentax K-3 design, AF-mode button should be next to AE-mode button).
* RRS dove-tail square design is great with some QR brackets (you never know what is front, what is back, what is side of the bracket).
06-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I do have RRS K-3 L-bracket. I keep it on the camera all the time, you forget it's there as it was the part of camera design. Actually, RRS L-Bracket helps me to keep camera body with my left hand when neccessary (vertical shots with flash to the right side), that may be specific to RRS L-plate, if you look at the product photos (on RRS BK3-L: L-plate for K-3 site) you find the left part of the L-plate is put forward a lot, which works great as a left hand grip and helps to balance the camera with lens.

I don't use battery grip with K-3, I used to have k10 or K-5 II battery grips, but was not fond of it (if I liked the bulk of the grip, I would go for FF instead). On the contrary, I keep heavy flash unit (AF-540FGZ or Sigma EF-610DG Super) on camera all the time.

* RRS L-plate has some very minor play with K-3 body, and you have to fix the screw very very tightly (I was afraid to brake the in-camera mount); I guess this is due to the relatively short 'lip' of the RRS bottom plate and no front 'lip'.
* I wish there was a strap hole on the left part of the L-plate (there is a strap hole on the right side of bottom plate).
* Both K-3 body door are fully operational, but access to both focus mode switch and AF-mode button is VERY difficult (actually I hate this Pentax K-3 design, AF-mode button should be next to AE-mode button).
* RRS dove-tail square design is great with some QR brackets (you never know what is front, what is back, what is side of the bracket).
Great point about a strap hole on the left.
I keep the MESTOS PD-K3HL (camera and grip) plate on all the time. Encouraging to see there will be a plate for the K-1. Pentax should offer these plates as products since they could make some extra money and they are so hard to find, sometimes impossible to find.
06-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I looked at the RRS design before I bought the Mestos. I use the AF/MF switch all the time when I'm in walk-around mode (as opposed to tripod mode, but I always leave the L bracket on the camera no matter which mode I'm in), and I didn't buy the RRS bracket specifically because they decided to do this offset design, making my most-used control (AF/MF) inaccessible, while making my least-used control (HDMI side door) accessible. So, I don't think this is a Pentax K-3 design issue at all, it is simply the design of the RRS bracket. Sure, the AF/MF control could have been on the back of the body, but using the front and the back makes the back less crowded.

Last edited by asharpe; 06-06-2016 at 01:19 PM.
06-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I looked at the RRS design before I bought the Mestos. I use the AF/MF switch all the time when I'm in walk-around mode (as opposed to tripod mode, but I always leave the L bracket on the camera no matter which mode I'm in), and I didn't buy the RRS bracket specifically because they decided to do this offset design, making my most-used control (AF/MF) inaccessible, while making my least-used control (HDMI side door) accessible. So, I don't think this is a Pentax K-3 design issue at all, it is simply the design of the RRS bracket. Sure, the AF/MF control could have been on the back of the body, but using the front and the back makes the back less crowded.
With RRS L-bracket it's OK with K-3 AF/MF front switch as you easily turn the switch (which is quite big), the problem is with tiny AF Mode push-button.

07-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
For anyone interested I posted two L Plates for sale: one that fist the K5 and another that fits the K5 with Battery Grip.
see
Camera only
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/326480-sal...ml#post3720402

Camera and battery grip:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/326718-sal...ml#post3723656
07-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #85
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Custom Low-Cost L-Bracket for K-3

Since I use an L-bracket on my K-3 infrequently, I couldn't justify the high cost of a K-3 specific L-bracket. Instead, I purchased the Sunwayfoto Universal Q-R Plate DPL-01 at low cost. The only customization that was necessary for a very good fit was to use a rotary tool to grind a recess in the L-bracket to make room for the microphone jack cover. Alternatively I think you could just let the L-bracket compress the cover or remove the cover. The L-bracket does prevent access to the battery and the left-side access cover. This is not a problem for me however. The bracket does allow for the connection of other QR plates or a tripod-mount strap connector on either side of the bracket. There is also a location on the bracket where a strap can be connected directly. My next project is a low cost L-bracket for my K-1.

08-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #86

Slightly Off-Topic re: Camera Strap

Dave2k,

What strap are you using on your K-3? I'm looking for one that will allow me to carry it cross body and I enjoy the woven design.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
08-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #87
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trm2103 Quote
Dave2k,

What strap are you using on your K-3? I'm looking for one that will allow me to carry it cross body and I enjoy the woven design.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
cross-body, like an over the shoulder sling? if so, the Slide by Peak Designs is my favorite (just ordered a second on for a second camera body)....
08-22-2016, 02:21 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Since I use an L-bracket on my K-3 infrequently, I couldn't justify the high cost of a K-3 specific L-bracket. Instead, I purchased the Sunwayfoto Universal Q-R Plate DPL-01 at low cost. The only customization that was necessary for a very good fit was to use a rotary tool to grind a recess in the L-bracket to make room for the microphone jack cover. Alternatively I think you could just let the L-bracket compress the cover or remove the cover. The L-bracket does prevent access to the battery and the left-side access cover. This is not a problem for me however. The bracket does allow for the connection of other QR plates or a tripod-mount strap connector on either side of the bracket. There is also a location on the bracket where a strap can be connected directly
Looks great Does this DPL-01 L-bracket fit to the Pentax battery grip?
08-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #89

PeakDesign Security

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
cross-body, like an over the shoulder sling? if so, the Slide by Peak Designs is my favorite (just ordered a second on for a second camera body)....
Yes, exactly. I have a current shoulder sling utilizing the tripod mount, but I'm looking for something else. How secure is the PD sling? How do you arrange the connectors? From what I've seen, it seems possible to connect it from the eyelet and the tripod screw mount on the same side, which appeals to me.

Thanks!
08-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #90
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trm2103 Quote
Yes, exactly. I have a current shoulder sling utilizing the tripod mount, but I'm looking for something else. How secure is the PD sling? How do you arrange the connectors? From what I've seen, it seems possible to connect it from the eyelet and the tripod screw mount on the same side, which appeals to me.

Thanks!
yes - each Slide comes with an Arca-style plate and you can mount the strap either with both eyelets or one eyelet and on the plate...