Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
The RRS L Bracket plate is compatible with the Arca-Swiss clamp system. Arca-Swiss has a generic L Bracket model that you can then customize and B & H carries the Arca-Swiss L Bracket system. Discuss this with their tech department, they should be able to help you design a bracket that would be compatible with the K-3 or K3ii with the battery grip. Once logged on to B&H just type Arca-Swiss to find their brackets in their online catalog.

Jay
Thanks Jake - I will need that for my next Pentax (Hopefully) camera. This could apply to Pentax users - I am dating myself.

08-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #47
Forum Member

The RRS L Bracket plate is compatible with the Arca-Swiss clamp system. Arca-Swiss has a generic L Bracket model that you can then customize and B & H carries the Arca-Swiss L Bracket system. Discuss this with their tech department, they should be able to help you design a bracket that would be compatible with the K-3 or K3ii with the battery grip. Once logged on to B&H just type Arca-Swiss to find their brackets in their online catalog.

Jay
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks Jake - I will need that for my next Pentax (Hopefully) camera. This could apply to Pentax users - I am dating myself.
When the K7 came out, RRS had just sold out of their brackets and we're not making any more so I tried this system. The bottom line is if the bracket is not custom machined to the body, it's going to move at some point. There is just no way around it. I tried every sticky solution between the plate and body: tape rubber gaskets glue. but you can never tighten anything in the tripod socket so tight that it will never twist and there are no set pins or any other point of contact like on the battery grip that would keep it from twisting.

For some here these generic solutions have worked, but they've never worked for me. it's always been of the most important point whether doing a panorama or a vertical shooting that all the sudden I feel the screw give a little and the plate moves and my alignment is all wrong. Once it's loose you have to take everything off tighten it up again and well you know...

The beauty is that once you have a dedicated bracket on your camera you can put anything on there. Mike stands, boom stands, flash stands brackets, huge strobo frames, dollies , steady cams, anything anything. Oh yes and of course tripods, instantly on and off, it's a thing of beauty. And it makes it impossible to go backwards. It's like going back to dial-up after you have had broadband.

At least with the wildlife shooting most of your mounts are going to be on your lenses and not your cameras. So you really just need the long dovetail plates for lens collars and put them on a gimbal mount or something. I would be surprised if you relied on body plates with the lenses over 200 mm.
08-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
When the K7 came out, RRS had just sold out of their brackets and we're not making any more so I tried this system. The bottom line is if the bracket is not custom machined to the body, it's going to move at some point. There is just no way around it. I tried every sticky solution between the plate and body: tape rubber gaskets glue. but you can never tighten anything in the tripod socket so tight that it will never twist and there are no set pins or any other point of contact like on the battery grip that would keep it from twisting.

For some here these generic solutions have worked, but they've never worked for me. it's always been of the most important point whether doing a panorama or a vertical shooting that all the sudden I feel the screw give a little and the plate moves and my alignment is all wrong. Once it's loose you have to take everything off tighten it up again and well you know...

The beauty is that once you have a dedicated bracket on your camera you can put anything on there. Mike stands, boom stands, flash stands brackets, huge strobo frames, dollies , steady cams, anything anything. Oh yes and of course tripods, instantly on and off, it's a thing of beauty. And it makes it impossible to go backwards. It's like going back to dial-up after you have had broadband.

At least with the wildlife shooting most of your mounts are going to be on your lenses and not your cameras. So you really just need the long dovetail plates for lens collars and put them on a gimbal mount or something. I would be surprised if you relied on body plates with the lenses over 200 mm.
Correct. However I do rely on the plates for my panos using nodal ninja. Not absolutely necessary for panos or for that matter anywhere but very useful.
08-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #49
Forum Member

For those who have never used the custom plates, I just felt the need to post a pic.

This is a Mestos bottom plate. It is a part of the grip and never comes off. (With the grips I like the base plates, and the Ls more with just the bodies. Though if I could find a BDG-5 L plate I would buy another grip for it.)
It is smooth, sleek and well designed. It had never made a single mark or scratch on the grip. The picture makes it look a little big but it is hardly noticeable on the camera, and the entire thing adds no more than a small dovetails height to the overall height of the camera. It is always ready to drop into a arca holder in a second and even has a screw mount for other accessories, and unlike the grips, it is dead center with the film plane. And look how it fits, precise and unobtrusive. I almost think of it as a simple correction for the poorly placed tripod socket with a bonus of having a quick release.

The RRS ones are veritable works of art.

If I put that on my Photoclam or Markins or FML ball heads and drop it down the notch so it is sitting vertically with a long lens, say the 200m f/2. In 24 hours I can come back and take another shot. The lens will not have drooped even a pixel. You simply cannot get that anywhere else. That is true "no-twist".

Granted these things are not cheap. Good tripods are not cheap. But they are worthwhile investments. And if this PixelShift lives up to half the hype, a lot more guys are going to want good tripod systems. And it all starts wiht getting your camera on and off the thing.

08-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on the Mestos plate.
White it was designed for the K-5, with some added "padding" it fits quite snuggly on my K-3.
Pix later.

Michael
08-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #51
Forum Member

I just received an email from Brady Cabe and RRS Tech Support.The L-plate for the K3 is available and in stock. This does not apply to those K3 bodies with the additional battery grip, since they never made one for that configuration.

Jay
08-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #52

That is so disappointing. The K-3 without the battery grip, is a pipsqueak!

08-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would guess that if RSS made a K3 L Plate for the K3 with battery Grip they would sell more plates than the model that is for the K3 without the battery grip, but probably still not enough to have RSS make plates for follow-on Pentax cameras. Unless the next generation of Pentax cameras are game changers. I wonder why they chose to make one for just the K3 body.
08-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #54
Forum Member

I just received an email from Brady Cabe and RRS Tech Support.The L-plate for the K3 is available and in stock. This does not apply to those K3 bodies with the additional battery grip, since they never made one for that configuration.

Jay
Get them while they last. I could never get him to tell me how many they have left in stock I bought one since he told me they would not be making any more.

But perhaps if everyone that was interested bought one, it would show them that it's worth the investment to make a run on these plates. :-)
08-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #55
Forum Member

Looking at the RRS catalog for those bodies that sell in high volume/price [Nikon & Canon] the high value/volume bodies either with a battery grip or as an option have the alternate L bracket. It all has to do with the volume of those cameras sold and the owners wanting the L bracket.

Jay
08-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #56

Yep they have introduce the L-bracket already for the new hot Sony full frame!
02-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update from Mad for Camera - their web site shows that the L plate for the K-3 with the D-BG5 Grip is available
Mestos PD-K3HL
I already have one so I did not order but I was able to put it into a shopping cart for purchase.
This is encouraging for future Pentax camera bodies.
02-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #58

Yeh but it has the funky allen wrench screw! And this is a Chinese company that may or may not let you return it if it doesn't fit. Any other source for it? I prefer even to go through eBay since they guarantee satisfaction.
02-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Yeh but it has the funky allen wrench screw! And this is a Chinese company that may or may not let you return it if it doesn't fit. Any other source for it? I prefer even to go through eBay since they guarantee satisfaction.
I have one for some time - perfect fit - AND - the only answer. Mine never comes off. I also bought directly from Mad for Camera.
I guess it boils down to whether you need one or not. If you do it's available.
02-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Just an update from Mad for Camera - their web site shows that the L plate for the K-3 with the D-BG5 Grip is available
Mestos PD-K3HL
I already have one so I did not order but I was able to put it into a shopping cart for purchase.
This is encouraging for future Pentax camera bodies.
FYI - Just tried to place an order for the L-Bracket and the site still gives errors when you try to pay with PayPal.