Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,976
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree with just about everything posted here about the K-3.

The shutter sound is very seductive indeed.
The AF is definitely, but not dramatically, better. I really like the repositioned AF button; I now shoot with the shutter button AF disabled. I'm still getting used to the new way of switching AF and AE modes, but I can see how much sense it makes.
The feel of the camera - the switches, the dials, the weight, the grip - are all an improvement on the already excellent K-5.
The speed of the processor is astonishing.
Resolution is outstanding. I'm still getting a feel for the noise, but I don't think it's any worse than the K-5. I haven't had a live music gig since I got the K-3; a couple next week should test it out nicely.
Battery life for the way I use the camera is still pretty good.
I agree with Derek's comments about the lens lineup. The K-3 has shown problems with my FA43 to which I was hitherto unaware. I look forward to spending more time with some of my sharper lenses to see how they fare.

I also struggle to find a negative. Really.
Sandy.
What sort of problem(s) did you have with the FA 43 Ltd with the K3 ?

JP


11-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,246
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sandy.
What sort of problem(s) did you have with the FA 43 Ltd with the K3 ?
There are no problems with the way the two interact, just that that the high resolution of the K-3 sensor has made me look closer at the images from the FA43 (which I am using every day in November as part of the Single In challenge), and it has made me more aware of the optical limitations of my copy of that lens.

Essentially, if you're going to get a K-3 you need to have some damn fine glass to go with it.
11-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Essentially, if you're going to get a K-3 you need to have some damn fine glass to go with it.
I can't afford a K-3 at this stage, but find this very interesting...Have anyone seen any difference like Sandy, with the better K, M and A lenses?
11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Huh? That doesn't make any sense........
I believe he is referring to more room for cropping without sacrificing IQ.

11-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,646
I have the opposite experience Sandy. Extensive use of my 43 and 31 yesterday- first serious workout with the K-3 - gave me renewed respect and sense of how wonderful this glass is. (the room we were in was too small and crowded for much use of the 77, which would have completed testing of the triumvirate)

Never before have I been able to see the 'pixie dust' in such clarity, or maybe there is just 50% more dust - I know thats not a very scientific description, but we are really talking aesthetics here, and I don't know how to describe that. I'll get some of the shots up here soon for everyone to see, but boy, i'm impressed.

A note on the quality of the files though. My impression is that the K-5 files are more robust and able to take major push and pull routines without noticeable corruption. The K-3 files seem to degrade more easily. More testing and observations ahead of us I think.
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,976
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There are no problems with the way the two interact, just that that the high resolution of the K-3 sensor has made me look closer at the images from the FA43 (which I am using every day in November as part of the Single In challenge), and it has made me more aware of the optical limitations of my copy of that lens.

Essentially, if you're going to get a K-3 you need to have some damn fine glass to go with it.
I thought the FA Ltd series would actually benefit from the K3 higher resolution but then again I still don't have the K3 (yet).

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I have the opposite experience Sandy. Extensive use of my 43 and 31 yesterday- first serious workout with the K-3 - gave me renewed respect and sense of how wonderful this glass is. (the room we were in was too small and crowded for much use of the 77, which would have completed testing of the triumvirate)

Never before have I been able to see the 'pixie dust' in such clarity, or maybe there is just 50% more dust - I know thats not a very scientific description, but we are really talking aesthetics here, and I don't know how to describe that. I'll get some of the shots up here soon for everyone to see, but boy, i'm impressed.

A note on the quality of the files though. My impression is that the K-5 files are more robust and able to take major push and pull routines without noticeable corruption. The K-3 files seem to degrade more easily. More testing and observations ahead of us I think.
How much push-and-pull difference do you see between the files of the K5 vs. those of the K3 ?
Did you encounter "problems" with shadows/highlights detail recovery?

Cheers!

JP
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
attention, camera, couple, dslr, impressions, k-3, k-5, k3, noise, notice, pentax k-3, shots, skills
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first dslr, first impressions and in need of a couple of advices carlosodze Pentax K-30 & K-50 6 07-03-2013 07:24 PM
Planning to do a shoot within the next 1-2 weeks of a couple. LeDave Photographic Technique 8 12-30-2012 10:45 AM
Not Work-Safe After 3 weeks of daily rain. Finally got in a shoot. Ed n Georgia Post Your Photos! 4 09-10-2012 05:32 AM
A couple of weeks ago.......... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 23 03-07-2008 08:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top