Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree with just about everything posted here about the K-3.

The shutter sound is very seductive indeed.
The AF is definitely, but not dramatically, better. I really like the repositioned AF button; I now shoot with the shutter button AF disabled. I'm still getting used to the new way of switching AF and AE modes, but I can see how much sense it makes.
The feel of the camera - the switches, the dials, the weight, the grip - are all an improvement on the already excellent K-5.
The speed of the processor is astonishing.
Resolution is outstanding. I'm still getting a feel for the noise, but I don't think it's any worse than the K-5. I haven't had a live music gig since I got the K-3; a couple next week should test it out nicely.
Battery life for the way I use the camera is still pretty good.
I agree with Derek's comments about the lens lineup. The K-3 has shown problems with my FA43 to which I was hitherto unaware. I look forward to spending more time with some of my sharper lenses to see how they fare.

I also struggle to find a negative. Really.
Sandy.
What sort of problem(s) did you have with the FA 43 Ltd with the K3 ?

JP

11-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sandy.
What sort of problem(s) did you have with the FA 43 Ltd with the K3 ?
There are no problems with the way the two interact, just that that the high resolution of the K-3 sensor has made me look closer at the images from the FA43 (which I am using every day in November as part of the Single In challenge), and it has made me more aware of the optical limitations of my copy of that lens.

Essentially, if you're going to get a K-3 you need to have some damn fine glass to go with it.
11-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Essentially, if you're going to get a K-3 you need to have some damn fine glass to go with it.
I can't afford a K-3 at this stage, but find this very interesting...Have anyone seen any difference like Sandy, with the better K, M and A lenses?
11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Huh? That doesn't make any sense........
I believe he is referring to more room for cropping without sacrificing IQ.

11-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the opposite experience Sandy. Extensive use of my 43 and 31 yesterday- first serious workout with the K-3 - gave me renewed respect and sense of how wonderful this glass is. (the room we were in was too small and crowded for much use of the 77, which would have completed testing of the triumvirate)

Never before have I been able to see the 'pixie dust' in such clarity, or maybe there is just 50% more dust - I know thats not a very scientific description, but we are really talking aesthetics here, and I don't know how to describe that. I'll get some of the shots up here soon for everyone to see, but boy, i'm impressed.

A note on the quality of the files though. My impression is that the K-5 files are more robust and able to take major push and pull routines without noticeable corruption. The K-3 files seem to degrade more easily. More testing and observations ahead of us I think.
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter

There are no problems with the way the two interact, just that that the high resolution of the K-3 sensor has made me look closer at the images from the FA43 (which I am using every day in November as part of the Single In challenge), and it has made me more aware of the optical limitations of my copy of that lens.

I thought the FA Ltd series would actually benefit from the K3 higher resolution but then again I still don't have the K3 (yet).

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I have the opposite experience Sandy. Extensive use of my 43 and 31 yesterday- first serious workout with the K-3 - gave me renewed respect and sense of how wonderful this glass is. (the room we were in was too small and crowded for much use of the 77, which would have completed testing of the triumvirate)

Never before have I been able to see the 'pixie dust' in such clarity, or maybe there is just 50% more dust - I know thats not a very scientific description, but we are really talking aesthetics here, and I don't know how to describe that. I'll get some of the shots up here soon for everyone to see, but boy, i'm impressed.

A note on the quality of the files though. My impression is that the K-5 files are more robust and able to take major push and pull routines without noticeable corruption. The K-3 files seem to degrade more easily. More testing and observations ahead of us I think.
How much push-and-pull difference do you see between the files of the K5 vs. those of the K3 ?
Did you encounter "problems" with shadows/highlights detail recovery?

Cheers!

JP