Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I had the same/similar problem - I thought I also tried taking the grip off and just using the K-3 without the grip.I also tried several battery changes. I sent the camera (Silver Edition) back to B&H and had them send me a replacement (regular K-3) with the Grip on order. I also contacted Pentax support and they recommended sending the unit back. The replacement grip is on back-order so I have the K-3 but no grip at this time.
Sorry to see your silver addition go for the black addition that would annoy me being that I have the silver addition I think I will wait for the firmware update and hope it works... You should tell B and H you want it back...

11-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
Sorry to see your silver addition go for the black addition that would annoy me being that I have the silver addition I think I will wait for the firmware update and hope it works... You should tell B and H you want it back...
It's really too bad if people are giving up their silver editions due to this problem. The problem seems to be not all that uncommon and it would be terrible if the black edition they receive as a replacement has the same problem.

I'm still optimistic that the problem can be resolved with firmware.
11-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem with their K-3. It is not repeatable every time, but happens about 1/3 of the time under the following conditions:

1. D-BG5 grip installed.
2. Pentax D-LI90 batteries installed in both body and grip.
3. "Select Battery" set to 'Grip First'.
4. Flip the power switch on the body to ON position. Nothing happens - camera does not power on.

Switching to OFF position and then ON again will start the camera sometimes.

I thought there was something wrong with the grip, because it didn't happen when the grip was not installed, but I have since switched the "Select Battery" setting to 'Auto', and so far the problem has not repeated itself.
I had my K-3 silver all configured and with the power off to grip and camera, added the grip. Turned power on to camera and had nothing. Turned power on to grip and had nothing (nothing means that the camera did not power on at all). Turned everything off and repeated, no change. Left camera power on and pulled out grip battery and the camera came on, but I could not use the four way pad. Clicking on them would do nothing. I could use it in picture review mode. Powered everything off, removed grip and powered on. Four way pad still did not work. Went into the menu and reset the camera and the four way pad worked again. Added the grip and everything worked. Don't know why it worked the second time or why the four way pad stopped working. Both batteries were fully charged.
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by c57d Quote
I had my K-3 silver all configured and with the power off to grip and camera, added the grip. Turned power on to camera and had nothing. Turned power on to grip and had nothing (nothing means that the camera did not power on at all). Turned everything off and repeated, no change. Left camera power on and pulled out grip battery and the camera came on, but I could not use the four way pad. Clicking on them would do nothing. I could use it in picture review mode. Powered everything off, removed grip and powered on. Four way pad still did not work. Went into the menu and reset the camera and the four way pad worked again. Added the grip and everything worked. Don't know why it worked the second time or why the four way pad stopped working. Both batteries were fully charged.
I still say the grip has something to do with it When i have the grip on I have power on problems. I'm going to keep the grip off and see what happens. I happen to have the Silver edition...

11-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
dbh
Inactive Account

Just an update on my power on issues - everything has been 100% reliable and stable with the grip attached, and only one battery installed. My power on issues are definitely linked to having two batteries.
11-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Battery Grip is still on back order at B&H. The K-3 has been flawless. For the price, it delivers more than I expected. However it is probably time that Pentax acknowledge the grip/two battery ON/OFF issue issue, state the cause and resolution. Is it firmware? Something else?
11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Just an update on my power on issues - everything has been 100% reliable and stable with the grip attached, and only one battery installed. My power on issues are definitely linked to having two batteries.
Does it matter which battery? Can you use the grip with the battery only installed in the grip so replacement does not mean removing the grip?
11-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #23

where is the battery installed?

11-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Does it matter which battery? Can you use the grip with the battery only installed in the grip so replacement does not mean removing the grip?
Nope, it doesn't matter. I keep it in the grip for convenient access. But I tried it in the body instead (grip still attached, and being used occasionally) and again no issues. Also tried the AA battery tray as well. When combined with a second battery - power on troubles. By itself - no problem.
Just my experience.
11-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Forum Member

Are the 2-battery power-up issues immediately apparent? I spent some time yesterday just messing about with K-3 and grip and wasn't able to evoke the power glitch. This was with 2 charged D-LI90 batteries.
11-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope, it doesn't matter. I keep it in the grip for convenient access. But I tried it in the body instead (grip still attached, and being used occasionally) and again no issues. Also tried the AA battery tray as well. When combined with a second battery - power on troubles. By itself - no problem.
Just my experience.
My experience is exactly the same as yours.
11-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
Are the 2-battery power-up issues immediately apparent? I spent some time yesterday just messing about with K-3 and grip and wasn't able to evoke the power glitch. This was with 2 charged D-LI90 batteries.
It was not immediately apparent with mine. In fact, it continues to be erratic behavior. Sometimes it powers on fine, other times it doesn't. Hopefully it doesn't happen to yours, but it still might.
11-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #28

Just for the statistics: I have the same Power-on issue, notably when the camera has been switched off for 20-30 minutes. The issue seems to disappear when using the camera outside at lower temperatures (around 7 deg. C). I just walked outside for approx. 1 hour and used the camera/grip without any problems.
Since the issue might be firmware-related, I will await an update. Apart from that, a great camera.

Last edited by Arthurl; 11-24-2013 at 04:56 AM.
11-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #29

I notice that b and h is selling the the k-3 silver without the grip]..I Wonder why.... Power on Issues??????
11-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
I notice that b and h is selling the the k-3 silver without the grip]..I Wonder why.... Power on Issues??????
And the price is the same as the previous Silver body with grip. Hmmmmm...