Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be nice if Pentax came out with a notice of the issue and planned resolution.

12-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
It would be nice if Pentax came out with a notice of the issue and planned resolution.
They're not going to announce there is an issue as it will affect their end-of-year sales report if all of a sudden people stopped buying the grip or the K3 for that matter.

I'm sure they know of the issue but aren't saying anything until they know it can be fixed by firmware. If not, they'll just keep it hush hush to prevent people not buying the product.
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Okay, I hope I'm not going to jinx it by saying so soon, but I updated the firmware on my K-3 and so far I have not been able to reproduce the power-on issue. I have had the grip installed with D-LI90 batteries in both the body and the grip and the issue seems to be gone. I have also tried different "select battery" options and all appear good.

I'm interested to hear if this plays out the same for everyone else that experienced this issue.
12-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #49
dbh
Inactive Account

I still have the problem.

12-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Did you confirm that your update worked? Does your current version display 1.01?
12-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
I knew I spoke too soon. It appears I still have the problem too. Looks like it's time to send the grip in. Or is it the camera?
12-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #52
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
I knew I spoke too soon. It appears I still have the problem too. Looks like it's time to send the grip in. Or is it the camera?
Aye, mate, it could be either. The thing to do is send in both along with both batteries.

When I saw the update online I was instantly optimistic and updated my camera right away and put in the second battery. It was all I could do to wait the 20 min before trying to turn it back on. My heart sunk when I flipped the switch and nothing happened. Got it turned on and repeated the experiment - same result.

Good luck getting yours fixed. While the problem is not huge or even all that talked about online, there are a handful of us with the same problem and it has to be due to the same defect. While it may still turn out to be software-addressable, the root of the problem is looking more and more like hardware. Since my experience shows the problem to require two batteries, and since I get perfect operation with only one battery regardless of whether that battery is in the grip or in the body, my guess is the fault is in the camera. But that's just a guess.

12-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, considering the problem doesn't prevent me from using my K-3, I will be very choosy in deciding when to send it in. I'm definitely not sending it before/during the holidays. And I hope when I do send it in, the turn-around time is reasonable.

Good luck with yours too. If you do send it in, please post on this thread when you get it back.
12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same problem for me, regardless of the Select Battery setting. Only way to avoid it, in my case, is to remove one of the batteries.
Then it never happens. Reports of this bug are rare so I think the camera is operating right at the edge of something and I'm optimistic new firmware can resolve it. Not such a huge problem, once you find a temporary solution, but annoying enough to have me checking the Ricoh site daily.
Hi,
I have the same problem. New software 1.01 did not help. Twice K-3 has been fiering like a machine gun without any reason. Pentax batteries.
12-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are these all silver K-3s, by chance? First reports came from silver body owners.

Jack
12-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #56
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Are these all silver K-3s, by chance? First reports came from silver body owners.

Jack
Body and grip are both black, purchased separately as soon as the local store had them in stock.
12-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster

Jack
I have black body and grip too.
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black
12-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #59

Photos: Gallery | Albums
disappointed SILVER hoping it would work I have not tried it yet but I will keep you posted.....
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I returned my Silver edition, after talking with Ricoh - probably before they were fully aware of the problem, and replaced it with the black K-3 and black grip. Got the K-3 replacement quickly from B&H but the grip has been on back order since Nov 14.Very happy with the K-3, no extremely happy with the K-3. I just hope I do not have to send it back to get a fix to enable the grip to work correctly. I am hoping the long delay in grip delivery is because of a change in the grip.