Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #91
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No change to my power-on problem with the new firmware either.

02-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #92

Unfortunately, also my power-on issue still has not been resolved with FW1.02
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #93
Site Supporter

That's unfortunate news.
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Well I was at the Ft. Worth stock show today photographing the barrel racing, with my new K-3 and grip. I put Mmh batteries in the grip. I set to grip first. When the grip batteries went out, the whole camera turned off. It did not switch over to the standard battery in the camera body. I had to reload the grip with a fresh battery to turn the camera back on. I now have set to Auto to see what that setting does. I normally would want the battery to expire first in the grip so I can easily replace it if I want to. I don't want to have to take the grip off and replace the battery in the body. Does this make sense? What are others doing? I also had a few freeze ups but not sure what caused it? I just turned off and back on and it continued to work. I did have my 360 flash mounted on the camera too.
similar to what I have expeirienced as described here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250285-k-3-incorrectly-rep...tery-dead.html

02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #95
Forum Member

Power On Issues

This started to happen to me a few days ago. Reading this forum was very helpful.

I'm pretty sure it may be the batteries as I have swapped out both batteries that are Pentax Ricoh branded for some older DLI90's which have the Hoya Corporation as a brand and have not had any more issues, so far after a couple of days.

I've ordered a couple of 3rd party batteries from Amazon at $18 dollars each and will experiment with these. The newer batteries are now in my K5II s and K5 and they both have battery grips but do not seem to have any problems with power on.

For info my K3 and battery grip were purchased late November 2013 and did not have any issues, even after upgrading the software to 1.01 until I did a photo shoot outdoors in very cold weather and my DA*300 stopped working due to the cold (it is OK now) so I had to change to a Sigma 70-200. Therefore I believe maybe the cold weather triggered the power issue.

I still concede it may also be a software issue as well.

Hope this helps anyone.

Tim
02-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
This started to happen to me a few days ago. Reading this forum was very helpful.

I'm pretty sure it may be the batteries as I have swapped out both batteries that are Pentax Ricoh branded for some older DLI90's which have the Hoya Corporation as a brand and have not had any more issues, so far after a couple of days.

I've ordered a couple of 3rd party batteries from Amazon at $18 dollars each and will experiment with these. The newer batteries are now in my K5II s and K5 and they both have battery grips but do not seem to have any problems with power on.

For info my K3 and battery grip were purchased late November 2013 and did not have any issues, even after upgrading the software to 1.01 until I did a photo shoot outdoors in very cold weather and my DA*300 stopped working due to the cold (it is OK now) so I had to change to a Sigma 70-200. Therefore I believe maybe the cold weather triggered the power issue.

I still concede it may also be a software issue as well.

Hope this helps anyone.

Tim
Greetings, has anybody tried just cleaning the contact pad on the bottom of the camera it might make a big difference.I I have repaired 1 million dollar machines because of a dirty pin on a board.
02-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #97

I already tried cleaning the contacts with special contact cleaner-unfortunately this did not solve the Power-on issue

02-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
Greetings, has anybody tried just cleaning the contact pad on the bottom of the camera it might make a big difference.I I have repaired 1 million dollar machines because of a dirty pin on a board.
One more try,use a pencil eraser preferably new and scrub the contact area,this might take off anything that's really stubborn.
02-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #99

With everything new on the K-3 and grip, why would the terminals be an issue?
02-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
With everything new on the K-3 and grip, why would the terminals be an issue?
I am just saying try the simple stuff first before you call of the troops
02-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #101

I also tried cleaning the contacts with no luck. While it could be a contact issue, the power-on problem is very repeatable with my camera whenever the Ricoh battery is used. I have not tried it since the FW 1.02 update but that does not seem to have fixed it either. I hope Tim posts his results with his third party batteries.
02-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #102
Forum Member

Received my two batteries from Amazon. Unfortunately one is damaged so will have to be returned as the battery case is deformed and will not fit in the camera. The other battery has been charged and does work in the K3 alongside a Pentax battery branded by the Hoya Corporation. When I get a replacement I will do some tests and advise.

Tim
02-19-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #103
dbh
Inactive Account

Here's an update on my power-on issue. I got a replacement D-BG5 grip from the latest batch received by my local Pentax dealer. It did not solve the problem. Since it now appears that the fault lies with the K-3 I decided to send it and the grip into Pentax for them to fix the problem under warranty. I was told to expect it back in 6-8 weeks.
That should be the end of it for me. I will report back either way. Hopefully when it comes back fixed, an explanation will be included.
02-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #104

My K3 worked just fine until I really wanted it to work. I was checking all my photo equipment prior to a trip to Yellowstone NP. Batteries were fully charged in both the grip and body. Camera would not turn on like those of you above. Wrote Pentax and was told to send it to Arizona Warranty facility. Will send it in next week. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?
02-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #105
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by revdr Quote
My K3 worked just fine until I really wanted it to work. I was checking all my photo equipment prior to a trip to Yellowstone NP. Batteries were fully charged in both the grip and body. Camera would not turn on like those of you above. Wrote Pentax and was told to send it to Arizona Warranty facility. Will send it in next week. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?
Sorry to hear of another person with this issue. I wish I had sent mine in earlier. While I'm still not convinced it can't be solved with a work-around in firmware, if Pentax never hears about it from customers, and since their QC measures can't seem to sniff it out, nothing would ever be done by them to address this on their own so I'm glad to hear you sent it in for warranty repair.
I'm sure Pentax will stand behind their warranty. However, I'm not so sure they will 'fess up to an inherent design flaw, systemic production fault, or known common problem and issue a recall or warranty extension like you sometimes see with cars and motorcycles.
Obviously everyone who never uses the battery grip will never experience this even if their K-3 is affected. So it's therefore automatically not a common issue. Even if you had no intention of buying a grip, but had heard about this potential problem and wanted to test for it while still in the store, it's a bit of finicky thing to reproduce (2 batteries, 20 min wait, etc.) so many possibly faulty cameras will be out there that Pentax will never need to deal with. So don't hold your breath while waiting for a full disclosure from them.

I've never had to make a warranty claim with Pentax and I've got lots of their gear, including 3 SDM lenses. But I hope this experience turns out well. I've learned a lesson, too: if you discover a problem, don't wait around for a f/w solution! One may never come if everyone does this and Pentax doesn't learn of the problem and feel a need to address it with returns flooding in. Also, if I had done this within the 28-day return period, I would not have had to wait for the fix, either.

While I rarely fall victim to this, I also see the wisdom in waiting a while before buying something newly introduced. Sometimes it's better to wait a year and get it cheaper and thoroughly debugged. However, I waited too long to get a K-01 and then missed out on the discontinuation fire sale, too.

Anyways, my K-3 will come back eventually. Hopefully fixed. Ideally with a detailed explanation of what was wrong. As I said before, I will report back here.
Good luck with yours...