Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #121
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
This is good news. Obviously Pentax found a way to solve this with a f/w update. Hopefully, when my camera comes back that's all they had to do to it, too! If they are on the ball there at the service centre, they'll flash it, test it, and ship it back pronto! They have had it nearly 3 weeks and I've missed it.
It's too bad you sent in your camera to get this fixed, but who knew that this would be the outcome. Hopefully you get it back quickly now.

03-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #122
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 256
But who knows if this really fixed it? Multiple sources will need to confirm.
03-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #123
Senior Member
Ivor K Ecks's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
But who knows if this really fixed it? Multiple sources will need to confirm.
There are at least 4 people on this forum who have already confirmed that the latest firmware update has fixed the problem of the 'Power-On" issue.
03-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #124
dbh
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
It's too bad you sent in your camera to get this fixed, but who knew that this would be the outcome. Hopefully you get it back quickly now.
I was on the horns of a dilemma - initially I was sure the problem would be widespread and would be addressed by the first f/w update.
2 updates later, and not seeing a lot of talk besides this thread, and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen. So I figured I'd send it in under warranty and force the issue and make them address it somehow as I was getting increasingly annoyed by the problem.

Sure enough - voila - fix arrives.

If my k3 comes back in one piece and functions perfectly in every other way (like it did when I sent in it), I'll be happy with no regrets.
Not a whole lot to photograph around here right now, anyway.
Still have my K20D if that changes...
Cheers,

03-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #125
Senior Member
Ivor K Ecks's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen.
On the very first page of this thread I had stated that I had personally been able to demonstrate this problem to a lady from Ricoh at the launch of the K3 in Sydney, and was informed that she would report this problem personally . She said that it would probably just need a firmware fix and I had every faith that she would not let us down.

Peter
03-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #126
Site Supporter
waterfall's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,769
I had the same type of power on failure with a single 3rd party battery used in my K30. Pentax OEM battery never failed. The lousy bat came from Amazon, don't recall the brand. I suspect it was due to low voltage at "full" charge. Maybe the grip problems with K3 are related. I have the grip for my K3 but will refrain from using it until this problem is resolved.
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #127
Senior Member
Ivor K Ecks's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I had the same type of power on failure with a single 3rd party battery used in my K30. Pentax OEM battery never failed. The lousy bat came from Amazon, don't recall the brand. I suspect it was due to low voltage at "full" charge. Maybe the grip problems with K3 are related. I have the grip for my K3 but will refrain from using it until this problem is resolved.
This problem was not due to using 3rd party batteries, and the problem has been resolved
03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #128
dbh
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
On the very first page of this thread I had stated that I had personally been able to demonstrate this problem to a lady from Ricoh at the launch of the K3 in Sydney, and was informed that she would report this problem personally . She said that it would probably just need a firmware fix and I had every faith that she would not let us down.

Peter
My faith waned after 1.01 and failed after 1.02.
It has now been restored. Good thing I'm not waiting for the mirror flop issue fix.

03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #129
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I was on the horns of a dilemma - initially I was sure the problem would be widespread and would be addressed by the first f/w update.
2 updates later, and not seeing a lot of talk besides this thread, and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen. So I figured I'd send it in under warranty and force the issue and make them address it somehow as I was getting increasingly annoyed by the problem.

Sure enough - voila - fix arrives.

If my k3 comes back in one piece and functions perfectly in every other way (like it did when I sent in it), I'll be happy with no regrets.
Not a whole lot to photograph around here right now, anyway.
Still have my K20D if that changes...
Cheers,
Yes, that is a good point about reporting the problems to Pentax. It's possible that everyone waiting for a firmware fix was the reason it took until 1.03 to fix it!

And true enough that there's not much to photograph around Edmonton right now. Unless you like dirty snow and bare trees. Pretty drab this time of year.
03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #130
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 256
Bluebonnets soon to be showing themselves here in Texas! Hope this fixes the freeze up with the battery grip too!
03-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #131
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 25
My power-on issue has also been resolved with this new update but a new problem cropped up.
When I take a picture with the on-board flash up it will continue to take flash pictures without my pressing the button.
I powered off, removed the grip and tried it again with the same results.
I ended up doing a reset and now it works as expected.
I can't explain why the reset fixed it but I'm glad it's acting "normal" now.
Also, my 18-135 would hunt for focus on 2 different K-5 cameras and a K-5iis but it works fine on the K-3. Weird.

Chris
03-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #132
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Needing a reset after a firmware upgrade is not unheard of. It has been reported here a few times in the past. I just did mine last night for good luck.

Jack
03-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #133
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 417
Love this ...
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I just did mine last night for good luck.

Jack
looks like our thousand dollar baby (K3) needs such a thing very much to work?
03-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #134
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 256
How do you do a reset on the K-3?
03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #135
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
At the bottom of C3 menu. The option is not available if you are in any of the USER modes. You will need to reset some of your settings after but it does not blow away your USER modes.

Jack
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, d-bg5, dslr, grip, issue, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, position, power, problem, thread, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q Power Up Issue Smash Pentax Q 30 02-24-2017 09:29 PM
K-3 flash issue konraDarnok Pentax K-3 68 03-13-2014 06:07 AM
WB issue in LR 5 with K-3 DNG Azzy Pentax K-3 21 12-16-2013 04:51 PM
Power Zoom Lens on a K-x Alizarine Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-16-2013 09:19 AM
Power issue with Yongnuo Flashes/Eneloops philbaum Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 10-30-2012 10:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top