Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #121
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
This is good news. Obviously Pentax found a way to solve this with a f/w update. Hopefully, when my camera comes back that's all they had to do to it, too! If they are on the ball there at the service centre, they'll flash it, test it, and ship it back pronto! They have had it nearly 3 weeks and I've missed it.
It's too bad you sent in your camera to get this fixed, but who knew that this would be the outcome. Hopefully you get it back quickly now.

03-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #122

But who knows if this really fixed it? Multiple sources will need to confirm.
03-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #123

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
But who knows if this really fixed it? Multiple sources will need to confirm.
There are at least 4 people on this forum who have already confirmed that the latest firmware update has fixed the problem of the 'Power-On" issue.
03-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #124
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
It's too bad you sent in your camera to get this fixed, but who knew that this would be the outcome. Hopefully you get it back quickly now.
I was on the horns of a dilemma - initially I was sure the problem would be widespread and would be addressed by the first f/w update.
2 updates later, and not seeing a lot of talk besides this thread, and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen. So I figured I'd send it in under warranty and force the issue and make them address it somehow as I was getting increasingly annoyed by the problem.

Sure enough - voila - fix arrives.

If my k3 comes back in one piece and functions perfectly in every other way (like it did when I sent in it), I'll be happy with no regrets.
Not a whole lot to photograph around here right now, anyway.
Still have my K20D if that changes...
Cheers,

03-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #125

and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen.
On the very first page of this thread I had stated that I had personally been able to demonstrate this problem to a lady from Ricoh at the launch of the K3 in Sydney, and was informed that she would report this problem personally . She said that it would probably just need a firmware fix and I had every faith that she would not let us down.

Peter
03-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same type of power on failure with a single 3rd party battery used in my K30. Pentax OEM battery never failed. The lousy bat came from Amazon, don't recall the brand. I suspect it was due to low voltage at "full" charge. Maybe the grip problems with K3 are related. I have the grip for my K3 but will refrain from using it until this problem is resolved.
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I had the same type of power on failure with a single 3rd party battery used in my K30. Pentax OEM battery never failed. The lousy bat came from Amazon, don't recall the brand. I suspect it was due to low voltage at "full" charge. Maybe the grip problems with K3 are related. I have the grip for my K3 but will refrain from using it until this problem is resolved.
This problem was not due to using 3rd party batteries, and the problem has been resolved

03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #128
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
On the very first page of this thread I had stated that I had personally been able to demonstrate this problem to a lady from Ricoh at the launch of the K3 in Sydney, and was informed that she would report this problem personally . She said that it would probably just need a firmware fix and I had every faith that she would not let us down.

Peter
My faith waned after 1.01 and failed after 1.02.
It has now been restored. Good thing I'm not waiting for the mirror flop issue fix.
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #129
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was on the horns of a dilemma - initially I was sure the problem would be widespread and would be addressed by the first f/w update.
2 updates later, and not seeing a lot of talk besides this thread, and hearing from Pentax that this was the first they'd heard of it, I thought to myself even if it was fixable via software, if Pentax never gets it pointed out to them, it might never happen. So I figured I'd send it in under warranty and force the issue and make them address it somehow as I was getting increasingly annoyed by the problem.

Sure enough - voila - fix arrives.

If my k3 comes back in one piece and functions perfectly in every other way (like it did when I sent in it), I'll be happy with no regrets.
Not a whole lot to photograph around here right now, anyway.
Still have my K20D if that changes...
Cheers,
Yes, that is a good point about reporting the problems to Pentax. It's possible that everyone waiting for a firmware fix was the reason it took until 1.03 to fix it!

And true enough that there's not much to photograph around Edmonton right now. Unless you like dirty snow and bare trees. Pretty drab this time of year.
03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #130

Bluebonnets soon to be showing themselves here in Texas! Hope this fixes the freeze up with the battery grip too!
03-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #131

My power-on issue has also been resolved with this new update but a new problem cropped up.
When I take a picture with the on-board flash up it will continue to take flash pictures without my pressing the button.
I powered off, removed the grip and tried it again with the same results.
I ended up doing a reset and now it works as expected.
I can't explain why the reset fixed it but I'm glad it's acting "normal" now.
Also, my 18-135 would hunt for focus on 2 different K-5 cameras and a K-5iis but it works fine on the K-3. Weird.

Chris
03-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Needing a reset after a firmware upgrade is not unheard of. It has been reported here a few times in the past. I just did mine last night for good luck.

Jack
03-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Love this ...
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I just did mine last night for good luck.

Jack
looks like our thousand dollar baby (K3) needs such a thing very much to work?
03-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #134

How do you do a reset on the K-3?
03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the bottom of C3 menu. The option is not available if you are in any of the USER modes. You will need to reset some of your settings after but it does not blow away your USER modes.

Jack