Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I bought a Lilliput 7" field monitor for high angle shots. It hooks up to the HMDI out port on the K series cams (K-5s are micro, K-3 is mini connector). Just hit the Live View button to get output on the field monitor. This monitor has a few extras such as its own focus peaking, etc., but that is really fluff for astro use where you nail focus at the start and then occasionally check it during the session. All these devices require power so I have rigged everything up to run off jump start batteries, including the camera. So for a normal session I would have the camera, the tracking mount and the field monitor all running off a jump start battery. Works well, especially in the winter when in-device battery performance is diminished.

Jack

11-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

I can't wait for the Flue Card, I have been sad about camera control since I sold my K20. I looked at pkteether but I thought it was suspect so I never tried it. Now that I have the K-3 when I was at Pentax Denver they also mentioned PK tether and then I was even more sad b ecause all this time I could have been using it. :'(
11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will be getting a FLUcard when it is released as well. Even if I end up not using it for astro, it will likely come in handy for other uses.

Jack
11-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Very nice shoot. And I am amazed that you trigger the camera by hand for long exposure like this, without any shake at all. Are you a surgeon?

I have used PKTether, on my K-r and K-5, without problem, but it does not have live view, so it can't be used for manual focusing.

I still wait for K-3 to arrive in my country. Ufff.

11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, Dragos, I was wrong on that one. I had a closer look and zoomed in on the individual frames and there is definite evidence of shake. I think it was smoothed out somewhat in the stack so I missed it. I will be using the usual remote release for the next session.

Jack
11-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Forum Member

Why not just use the 3 second delay mode? Since it does MLU, the camera has 3 seconds or so to settle down before actually tripping the shutter.

Doug
11-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, that is an option as well. But if I am doing a run of say 30 or more exposures for a stack, I want to use the interval mode so I can just hit the release once and then run for the car to warm up. Unfortunately, I can see no way to lock the mirror up when using interval mode which means there is more standing around involved. This should be able to be remedied in a firmware update.

Jack

11-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
M35

There was a brief window tonight with clearing skies but high cloud from the next front was already moving in. Picked an easy target for this time of year - M35 in Gemini. This open cluster is just visible with the unaided eye in a dark sky. The K-3's output is very clean and sensor performance is excellent. Stack of 34 x 10 second frames at ISO1600, f/4.5 with the DA*300. Pushed +1EV in post and still held together well.

Jack

11-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I bought a Lilliput 7" field monitor for high angle shots. It hooks up to the HMDI out port on the K series cams (K-5s are micro, K-3 is mini connector). Just hit the Live View button to get output on the field monitor. This monitor has a few extras such as its own focus peaking, etc., but that is really fluff for astro use where you nail focus at the start and then occasionally check it during the session. All these devices require power so I have rigged everything up to run off jump start batteries, including the camera. So for a normal session I would have the camera, the tracking mount and the field monitor all running off a jump start battery. Works well, especially in the winter when in-device battery performance is diminished.

Jack
have you used the Lilliput to take pictures outside in bright light...have been looking into it for the q but wanted to know if anyone had used one and how well it worked...thanks
11-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, Amy. I have not yet used the Lilliput for daylight work although I will eventually. By the time I got it, I had missed mushroom season. But the Lilliput is freaking bright if you adjust it to be, so I doubt you would have any problem seeing it in broad daylight. It also has a rim visor that you can attach as a shade.

Jack
12-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Amy. I have not yet used the Lilliput for daylight work although I will eventually. By the time I got it, I had missed mushroom season. But the Lilliput is freaking bright if you adjust it to be, so I doubt you would have any problem seeing it in broad daylight. It also has a rim visor that you can attach as a shade.

Jack
thanks jack...would love to know how it works when you get it outside..thanks..amy
07-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

I just post a pictures i've made with my K3 in february.

I'm waiting for the next starry night for test my new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

07-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice! Some would be bothered by the purplish rendition of the brighter stars but it doesn't detract too much. Good definition on the Double Cluster in Perseus!

Jack
08-03-2014, 01:19 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice! Some would be bothered by the purplish rendition of the brighter stars but it doesn't detract too much. Good definition on the Double Cluster in Perseus!

Jack
Thanks for your advice !

This is my first attempt with the Sigma 18-35mm

Too much cloud, but i couldn't wait to shoot some stars
08-03-2014, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Yes, there are a lot of clouds, but the image looks beautiful, just because of this.