Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

K-3 Dim Viewfinder Data

Today I played with the K-3 and noticed the Viewfinder data is very dim, the green color information at the bottom of the viewfinder is extremely dim, is there a way to make it brighter?, for me personally that's a deal breaker, thanks

11-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Today I played with the K-3 and noticed the Viewfinder data is very dim, the green color information at the bottom of the viewfinder is extremely dim, is there a way to make it brighter?, for me personally that's a deal breaker, thanks
There's no setting for that. Perhaps your unit is defective though? The data should be as bright as on earlier cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The viewfinder data shouldn't be dim. I don't notice any difference from the k-7 or k-5 to the k-3.

What are you comparing it to? Have you looked at a 2nd copy to make sure the unit you were looking at isn't somehow defective?
11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
The viewfinder data shouldn't be dim. I don't notice any difference from the k-7 or k-5 to the k-3.

What are you comparing it to? Have you looked at a 2nd copy to make sure the unit you were looking at isn't somehow defective?
There was 1 display unit only, I couldn't compare with another K-3, but I checked at the store a D800, D7100 and a 5D Mark III and all of them where much brighter and crisp, I am not talking about VF brightness, only the information at the bottom.

11-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
There was 1 display unit only, I couldn't compare with another K-3, but I checked at the store a D800, D7100 and a 5D Mark III and all of them where much brighter and crisp, I am not talking about VF brightness, only the information at the bottom.
Think you can manage to get a photo of what it looks like?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Were you looking at it in a dark area. The viewfinder display dims in dark areas and brightens in brighter areas. Just putting the lens cap on makes a bit of difference.
11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Were you looking at it in a dark area. The viewfinder display dims in dark areas and brightens in brighter areas. Just putting the lens cap on makes a bit of difference.
Was inside the store that was very well lit

11-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Without seeing what the display was and knowing what you consider dim is, I'd suggest viewing another model at another location. Or not but it. If your not happy with it than there is no point in buying it.
11-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Sure there must be a problem with it or not to be insulting at all but maybe you have the same problem like my uncle did (bad eyes) again not trying to be insulting.
11-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Think you can manage to get a photo of what it looks like?
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Without seeing what the display was and knowing what you consider dim is, I'd suggest viewing another model at another location. Or not but it. If your not happy with it than there is no point in buying it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jfuqua11 Quote
Sure there must be a problem with it or not to be insulting at all but maybe you have the same problem like my uncle did (bad eyes) again not trying to be insulting.
He said he was in a Store, And compared it to other cameras.

So It's just a First hand report from him with not much more to add, Unfortunately.... /Shrug
11-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Is the eyepiece glass clean? Is the diopter set to fit your eyesight?
11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received my K-3. The viewfinder data looks no dimmer than in my K-5 or K20D, either in interiors or bright sunlight, and it's quite bright to my dim eyes. So, I doubt the OP's experience is typical of the model, unless the viewfinder data brightness is adjusted up and down with the LCD brightness.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.
11-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-3 has noticeably dimmer LCD information than my K-7.
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry. Let me clarify. That's the LCD readout within the viewfinder which is noticeably dimmer.
11-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My K-x has a slightly dimmer viewfinder display than my K-5. But the K-x also more actively adjusts the brightness of the info display according to the brightness of the image. Perhaps there is something influencing the responsiveness of the K-3 display.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
unless the viewfinder data brightness is adjusted up and down with the LCD brightness
Memo to Ricoh: that's a good idea.