Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
brosen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 183
K-3 Dim Viewfinder Data

Today I played with the K-3 and noticed the Viewfinder data is very dim, the green color information at the bottom of the viewfinder is extremely dim, is there a way to make it brighter?, for me personally that's a deal breaker, thanks

11-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,125
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Today I played with the K-3 and noticed the Viewfinder data is very dim, the green color information at the bottom of the viewfinder is extremely dim, is there a way to make it brighter?, for me personally that's a deal breaker, thanks
There's no setting for that. Perhaps your unit is defective though? The data should be as bright as on earlier cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
The viewfinder data shouldn't be dim. I don't notice any difference from the k-7 or k-5 to the k-3.

What are you comparing it to? Have you looked at a 2nd copy to make sure the unit you were looking at isn't somehow defective?
11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
brosen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 183
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
The viewfinder data shouldn't be dim. I don't notice any difference from the k-7 or k-5 to the k-3.

What are you comparing it to? Have you looked at a 2nd copy to make sure the unit you were looking at isn't somehow defective?
There was 1 display unit only, I couldn't compare with another K-3, but I checked at the store a D800, D7100 and a 5D Mark III and all of them where much brighter and crisp, I am not talking about VF brightness, only the information at the bottom.

11-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,125
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
There was 1 display unit only, I couldn't compare with another K-3, but I checked at the store a D800, D7100 and a 5D Mark III and all of them where much brighter and crisp, I am not talking about VF brightness, only the information at the bottom.
Think you can manage to get a photo of what it looks like?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 690
Were you looking at it in a dark area. The viewfinder display dims in dark areas and brightens in brighter areas. Just putting the lens cap on makes a bit of difference.
11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
brosen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 183
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Were you looking at it in a dark area. The viewfinder display dims in dark areas and brightens in brighter areas. Just putting the lens cap on makes a bit of difference.
Was inside the store that was very well lit
11-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 690
Without seeing what the display was and knowing what you consider dim is, I'd suggest viewing another model at another location. Or not but it. If your not happy with it than there is no point in buying it.

11-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Sure there must be a problem with it or not to be insulting at all but maybe you have the same problem like my uncle did (bad eyes) again not trying to be insulting.
11-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Eric Auer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 861
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Think you can manage to get a photo of what it looks like?
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Without seeing what the display was and knowing what you consider dim is, I'd suggest viewing another model at another location. Or not but it. If your not happy with it than there is no point in buying it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jfuqua11 Quote
Sure there must be a problem with it or not to be insulting at all but maybe you have the same problem like my uncle did (bad eyes) again not trying to be insulting.
He said he was in a Store, And compared it to other cameras.

So It's just a First hand report from him with not much more to add, Unfortunately.... /Shrug
11-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
Is the eyepiece glass clean? Is the diopter set to fit your eyesight?
11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
Just received my K-3. The viewfinder data looks no dimmer than in my K-5 or K20D, either in interiors or bright sunlight, and it's quite bright to my dim eyes. So, I doubt the OP's experience is typical of the model, unless the viewfinder data brightness is adjusted up and down with the LCD brightness.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.
11-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,312
My K-3 has noticeably dimmer LCD information than my K-7.
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,312
Sorry. Let me clarify. That's the LCD readout within the viewfinder which is noticeably dimmer.
11-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,832
My K-x has a slightly dimmer viewfinder display than my K-5. But the K-x also more actively adjusts the brightness of the info display according to the brightness of the image. Perhaps there is something influencing the responsiveness of the K-3 display.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
unless the viewfinder data brightness is adjusted up and down with the LCD brightness
Memo to Ricoh: that's a good idea.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
data, dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Viewfinder eye-point Ayoh Pentax K-3 6 10-13-2013 07:46 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-01 Black Body (1000 shutter) + Perfect 3.0x viewfinder rockytodd Sold Items 2 07-01-2013 02:12 PM
Lightroom 3 exif data ok2day Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 06-12-2013 01:01 PM
For Sale - Sold: Data color Spyder 3 racerfan120 Sold Items 2 03-09-2012 06:08 PM
K-7 dim viewfinder data photoholic Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-29-2010 04:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top