Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 raw PEF support in dcraw

Right after I got my K-3, I sent a bunch of .PEF and .DNG files from it (shots of color targets) to Dave Coffin, the author of dcraw. This allowed him to create a color profile for the new camera, and to add support for the new PEF file (usually just a version marker).

In case you don't know, dcraw is a "free" pack of code that software developers add to their software to read camera raw files. It is pretty much the standard toolbox for almost every piece of software out there (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.) that reads camera raw files. Why? It's completely free; it isn't a library (it's code); it gets updated frequently; and is very high quality (dude even figured out Sigma Foveon raw files!).

I know that Adobe Photoshop (and Lightroom, DNG converter, etc.) uses some of the dcraw code to read raw files, along with their own code and stuff supplied by manufacturers. I also know that smaller apps like Photomatix use dcraw exclusively. In general, though, you have to wait for each software company to roll the latest version into their own code and release an update.

That being said, Iridient Developer (Mac only) is the first software to use the latest code, which includes Pentax K-3 PEF support, and full color profiling for the K-3 even from DNGs. Try it out here, and support those who support us!

Last edited by panoguy; 11-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
11-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Where can I find the latest version of dcraw?
On his website ( Decoding raw digital photos in Linux ) there is only a version from june...
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
This site has some of the latest builds for Windows, but I've no idea how the distro is done. There might be an email list or something on sourceforge?