Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #241
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 28
Shot with the K-3 at a triathalon here in Athens GA recently. Even with a kit lens, I still found the camera to be fast enough to make good images, even when cropped and reduced in size for a local publication.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #242
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Three shots at the 750m distance in a U13 800m race. Photographer sitting 2/3rd of the way down the finishing straight, beside the inside lane. Taken with a K-3 + Pentax-FA 50/F1.7.

This is an affordable sharp lens, but an 85mm FL prime would be better for stand-off of approaching runners. With a 50mm FL, to get the junior subject large in the frame you end up with the subject very close and get partially side-on shots, as in the 3rd example.
I must congratulate you. I once tried to shoot runners with an FA43 and it was disastrous. By the time they were close enough to fill the frame it was impossible for the camera to focus (although it was probably the slower-focusing K-5 I was using, though it might have been the faster K-5 IIs).

OTOH, the FA*85 is ideal, as you suggest. In fact a zoom's not even necessary when shooting runners.
10-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,144
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I must congratulate you. I once tried to shoot runners with an FA43 and it was disastrous. By the time they were close enough to fill the frame it was impossible for the camera to focus (although it was probably the slower-focusing K-5 I was using, though it might have been the faster K-5 IIs).

OTOH, the FA*85 is ideal, as you suggest. In fact a zoom's not even necessary when shooting runners.
Sounds like a perfect time for Catch-In-Focus to me. That's what I do often.
10-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #244
Senior Member
jppp's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SW Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
OTOH, the FA*85 is ideal, as you suggest. In fact a zoom's not even necessary when shooting runners.
However, longer focal lengths help blur the background, and with a zoom you can follow the runner for a longer time, getting different compressions and angles, and having a chance for more shots per event.

10-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #245
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sounds like a perfect time for Catch-In-Focus to me. That's what I do often.
Albert, CIF will only permit the taking of a single or only a very small number of shots. I prefer a burst (3-5) so I can choose the runner's most evocative combination of arm/leg position, height in the air (separation between a foot and its shadow), head direction and facial expression.

And when you have one runner overtaking another, and the person being overtaken responding, a much longer burst may be required to get the most dramatic clenched-teeth/sideways-glancing shot of the interaction.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #246
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
However, longer focal lengths help blur the background, and with a zoom you can follow the runner for a longer time, getting different compressions and angles, and having a chance for more shots per event.
I'm glad you can do that. They run too fast for me to follow them with a zoom. There are too many runners coming at me all at once in groups for me to keep adjusting my level of zoom. When I've tried a zoom in the past, it's just taken more time and added one more adjustment to think about, which actually lessens the number of good shots I can get. It's challenging enough just to figure out which runner in a group you want to focus on, and make sure his position in the frame and your focus point are right. Besides, if you think the runners are too far away to fill the frame properly, just wait a second and that will change as they approach you!

I'm not shooting just one team or a select group of runners, so a zoom wouldn't give me the chance to get any more shots. Two bodies, each with a prime on it, keeps me plenty busy shooting as it is! In my case I loose more than I gain when I use a zoom.


Just as importantly, none of the fast aperture Pentax zooms I've tried focus quickly enough to use them anyway (perhaps the FA*80-200 does - I haven't used it). Since I'm not particularly fond of the rendering or results from Sigma or Tamron zooms, using the Pentax primes is also my most pragmatic choice.

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sounds like a perfect time for Catch-In-Focus to me. That's what I do often.
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Albert, CIF will only permit the taking of a single or only a very small number of shots. I prefer a burst (3-5) so I can choose the runner's most evocative combination of arm/leg position, height in the air (separation between a foot and its shadow), head direction and facial expression.

And when you have one runner overtaking another, and the person being overtaken responding, a much longer burst may be required to get the most dramatic clenched-teeth/sideways-glancing shot of the interaction.

Dan.
I agree. CIF generally only allows you to get one shot. While I don't do true bursts, I usually take 2-4 shots of a runner or group. (Perhaps I should even try bursts, but I choose to keep my total number of photos reasonably low, which also minimizes my PP time. In fact after culling action photos I only PP about 2% of the ones I kept. I publish the remaining 98% as is. It's only worth the time to PP if it will make a big difference to the viewer.).

Either way - whether doing true bursts or not - CIF isn't practical for me.
10-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,144
Good points about CIF guys, chacun son goût.
10-20-2014, 05:20 AM - 3 Likes   #248
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Adelaide, Sth Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Shot at a local body boarding competition at Knights Beach, Port Elliot, South Australia.
All taken with K3 and Sigma DG 150-500 APO HSM


ISO 800 f/9 1/500 sec 210mm


ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 500mm


ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 310mm


ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 290mm


ISO 800 f/9 1/1600 sec 250mm

10-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,073
QuoteOriginally posted by ppeter Quote
body boarding
Well done!
10-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #250
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AtlantaChris Quote
Shot with the K-3 at a triathalon here in Athens GA recently. Even with a kit lens, I still found the camera to be fast enough to make good images, even when cropped and reduced in size for a local publication.
For running images in general 1/400th is to slow. The images have some kind of movement in them so they don't look sharp. For this 1/640th would be better or faster when light is available.
10-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #251
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by AtlantaChris Quote
Shot with the K-3 at a triathalon here in Athens GA recently. Even with a kit lens, I still found the camera to be fast enough to make good images, even when cropped and reduced in size for a local publication.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For running images in general 1/400th is to slow. The images have some kind of movement in them so they don't look sharp. For this 1/640th would be better or faster when light is available.
Very true - 1/640s to 1/1250s would be more appropriate. Since you have a K-3 you may as well take advantage of it. The K-3 will give you fast focusing with most screw-drive lenses. Until more lenses with fast in-lens motors come out the K-3 and a screw-drive lens is probably your best bet.

If you're going to shoot more athletic events like this try your Sigma 120-400, or pick up something like the F or FA135/2.8. You can shoot around f/3.5 to f/5 and get even nicer shots, with better subject isolation and possibly more drama.
10-24-2014, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #252
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 60


10-24-2014, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #253
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Nostalgix Quote
Did someone say BMW?


BMW M3 - Kyogle Showground


Car 8 - BMW - Boomi stage


Day 3 - Car 8 - BMW - Happy Valley
10-26-2014, 12:38 AM - 4 Likes   #254
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 51
Continuing the motorsport theme, here's a shot taken with my K3 and Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens




Cheers,

Simon.
10-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #255
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
QuoteOriginally posted by Srhphoto Quote
Continuing the motorsport theme, here's a shot taken with my K3 and Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Simon, a nice example of a relatively-low-shutter-speed panning job. What shutter speed did you use?

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 10-26-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
background, battery, desktop, dslr, focus, football game, game, gb, image, images, jpeg, k-3, k-5, k3, lens, pentax k-3, photos, post, shot, shots, sigma, sports, sports images, tamron, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 for sports? WillWeaverRVA Pentax K-3 20 07-02-2015 08:02 AM
Pentax K-3 test images with AA filter on and off hkiran1 Pentax K-3 29 11-13-2014 08:27 AM
The K-3 -APS-c and cropped wildlife images normhead Pentax K-3 39 10-16-2013 10:57 AM
First Try Shooting Sports with the K-30 Urkeldaedalus Pentax K-30 & K-50 40 02-18-2013 12:47 AM
Sports with the K-5 II or IIs HawaiianOnline Pentax K-5 13 01-25-2013 09:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top