Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #241

Photos: Gallery
Shot with the K-3 at a triathalon here in Athens GA recently. Even with a kit lens, I still found the camera to be fast enough to make good images, even when cropped and reduced in size for a local publication.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Three shots at the 750m distance in a U13 800m race. Photographer sitting 2/3rd of the way down the finishing straight, beside the inside lane. Taken with a K-3 + Pentax-FA 50/F1.7.

This is an affordable sharp lens, but an 85mm FL prime would be better for stand-off of approaching runners. With a 50mm FL, to get the junior subject large in the frame you end up with the subject very close and get partially side-on shots, as in the 3rd example.
I must congratulate you. I once tried to shoot runners with an FA43 and it was disastrous. By the time they were close enough to fill the frame it was impossible for the camera to focus (although it was probably the slower-focusing K-5 I was using, though it might have been the faster K-5 IIs).

OTOH, the FA*85 is ideal, as you suggest. In fact a zoom's not even necessary when shooting runners.
10-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I must congratulate you. I once tried to shoot runners with an FA43 and it was disastrous. By the time they were close enough to fill the frame it was impossible for the camera to focus (although it was probably the slower-focusing K-5 I was using, though it might have been the faster K-5 IIs).

OTOH, the FA*85 is ideal, as you suggest. In fact a zoom's not even necessary when shooting runners.
Sounds like a perfect time for Catch-In-Focus to me. That's what I do often.
10-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #244

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
However, longer focal lengths help blur the background, and with a zoom you can follow the runner for a longer time, getting different compressions and angles, and having a chance for more shots per event.

10-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Albert, CIF will only permit the taking of a single or only a very small number of shots. I prefer a burst (3-5) so I can choose the runner's most evocative combination of arm/leg position, height in the air (separation between a foot and its shadow), head direction and facial expression.

And when you have one runner overtaking another, and the person being overtaken responding, a much longer burst may be required to get the most dramatic clenched-teeth/sideways-glancing shot of the interaction.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jppp Quote
However, longer focal lengths help blur the background, and with a zoom you can follow the runner for a longer time, getting different compressions and angles, and having a chance for more shots per event.
I'm glad you can do that. They run too fast for me to follow them with a zoom. There are too many runners coming at me all at once in groups for me to keep adjusting my level of zoom. When I've tried a zoom in the past, it's just taken more time and added one more adjustment to think about, which actually lessens the number of good shots I can get. It's challenging enough just to figure out which runner in a group you want to focus on, and make sure his position in the frame and your focus point are right. Besides, if you think the runners are too far away to fill the frame properly, just wait a second and that will change as they approach you!

I'm not shooting just one team or a select group of runners, so a zoom wouldn't give me the chance to get any more shots. Two bodies, each with a prime on it, keeps me plenty busy shooting as it is! In my case I loose more than I gain when I use a zoom.

Just as importantly, none of the fast aperture Pentax zooms I've tried focus quickly enough to use them anyway (perhaps the FA*80-200 does - I haven't used it). Since I'm not particularly fond of the rendering or results from Sigma or Tamron zooms, using the Pentax primes is also my most pragmatic choice.

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Albert, CIF will only permit the taking of a single or only a very small number of shots. I prefer a burst (3-5) so I can choose the runner's most evocative combination of arm/leg position, height in the air (separation between a foot and its shadow), head direction and facial expression.

And when you have one runner overtaking another, and the person being overtaken responding, a much longer burst may be required to get the most dramatic clenched-teeth/sideways-glancing shot of the interaction.

Dan.
I agree. CIF generally only allows you to get one shot. While I don't do true bursts, I usually take 2-4 shots of a runner or group. (Perhaps I should even try bursts, but I choose to keep my total number of photos reasonably low, which also minimizes my PP time. In fact after culling action photos I only PP about 2% of the ones I kept. I publish the remaining 98% as is. It's only worth the time to PP if it will make a big difference to the viewer.).

Either way - whether doing true bursts or not - CIF isn't practical for me.
10-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good points about CIF guys, chacun son goût.

10-20-2014, 05:20 AM - 3 Likes   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot at a local body boarding competition at Knights Beach, Port Elliot, South Australia.
All taken with K3 and Sigma DG 150-500 APO HSM

ISO 800 f/9 1/500 sec 210mm

ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 500mm

ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 310mm

ISO 800 f/9 1/800 sec 290mm

ISO 800 f/9 1/1600 sec 250mm
10-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ppeter Quote
body boarding
Well done!
10-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #250
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AtlantaChris Quote
Shot with the K-3 at a triathalon here in Athens GA recently. Even with a kit lens, I still found the camera to be fast enough to make good images, even when cropped and reduced in size for a local publication.
For running images in general 1/400th is to slow. The images have some kind of movement in them so they don't look sharp. For this 1/640th would be better or faster when light is available.
10-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AtlantaChris Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For running images in general 1/400th is to slow. The images have some kind of movement in them so they don't look sharp. For this 1/640th would be better or faster when light is available.
Very true - 1/640s to 1/1250s would be more appropriate. Since you have a K-3 you may as well take advantage of it. The K-3 will give you fast focusing with most screw-drive lenses. Until more lenses with fast in-lens motors come out the K-3 and a screw-drive lens is probably your best bet.

If you're going to shoot more athletic events like this try your Sigma 120-400, or pick up something like the F or FA135/2.8. You can shoot around f/3.5 to f/5 and get even nicer shots, with better subject isolation and possibly more drama.
10-24-2014, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #252
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

10-24-2014, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Nostalgix Quote
Did someone say BMW?

BMW M3 - Kyogle Showground

Car 8 - BMW - Boomi stage

Day 3 - Car 8 - BMW - Happy Valley
10-26-2014, 12:38 AM - 4 Likes   #254
Forum Member

Continuing the motorsport theme, here's a shot taken with my K3 and Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens

Cheers,

Simon.
10-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Srhphoto Quote
Continuing the motorsport theme, here's a shot taken with my K3 and Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Simon, a nice example of a relatively-low-shutter-speed panning job. What shutter speed did you use?

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 10-26-2014 at 02:16 AM.