Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
K-3 + Tamron 70-200 or K-30 + Sigma 70-200

Has anyone had a chance to test out this combination? I'm currently debating whether I should but a K-3 to use with my Tamron 70-200, or if I should stick with my K-30 and purchase a Sigma 70-200. My main concern is autofocus speed. I shoot a lot of sports and I'm looking for the best overall combination. It seems as though the K-3 doesn't offer a large improvement on ISO (over the K-30), so I'm hoping the autofocus has been significantly improved. I really appreciate anyone's advice on this. Thanks.

I know that I can sell the Tamron to help fund the Sigma, but since I don't know how long it would take to sell the Tamron, I'm not really considering that as an option at the moment. To add, I really do love the optical quality of the Tamron so I'd love to keep it, if possible.

11-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
tomwil's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 778
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I know that I can sell the Tamron to help fund the Sigma, but since I don't know how long it would take to sell the Tamron, I'm not really considering that as an option at the moment.
If you price it right, it can sell very quickly.
11-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 328
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My main concern is autofocus speed.
I cannot compare the K-30 but I can compare the K5iis against the K3 for you.

Hi Revax,
FWIW personally I would think the K3 with the Tamron would be a good combo for two reasons. Firstly the screw drive seems to be a bit stronger/faster (at least compared to a K5iis) and also the focus tracking of the K3 is vastly superior.
I have the Sigma 70 - 200 and whilst it is a good lens I think the Tamron would be a good match for it on a K3.

There is probably something else you need to consider though. The K3 runs into ISO limitations probably a stop before the K5iis but 3200 can be used on the K3 shooting raw with some post work. (see heavy crop below)

My recommendation? Find a member/shop with a K3, dial in your Tamron , and see what you think. (But keep your K-30 as the second camera for the sports short zoom work)

Cheers Chris
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ak_kiwi; 11-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.
11-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,773
That sounds like good advice to me… starting from scratch, the Sigma 70-200 is as far as I can tell the fastest focusing lens for sports etc on Pentax mount, and it's HSM so it's quiet, but if you have the Tamron and like it, i.e. you're used to the sound and it doesn't bother you, then go with what you have.

11-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 39
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Has anyone had a chance to test out this combination? I'm currently debating whether I should but a K-3 to use with my Tamron 70-200, or if I should stick with my K-30 and purchase a Sigma 70-200. My main concern is autofocus speed. I shoot a lot of sports and I'm looking for the best overall combination. It seems as though the K-3 doesn't offer a large improvement on ISO (over the K-30), so I'm hoping the autofocus has been significantly improved. I really appreciate anyone's advice on this. Thanks.

I know that I can sell the Tamron to help fund the Sigma, but since I don't know how long it would take to sell the Tamron, I'm not really considering that as an option at the moment. To add, I really do love the optical quality of the Tamron so I'd love to keep it, if possible.
I have the K30 and Sigma 70-200 and the lens sits in my bag, unused The K30 is plenty fast, but the tracking is where it fails (miserably, IMO). I will be upgrading to the K3 soon.

Is there a reason why you can't use your Tamron 70-200 on a new K3??? Not sure why you'd consider replacing it with a Sigma if you're happy with it?
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
Original Poster
I would love to try out the K-3 with the Tamron. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere so that's not an option. I really do like the Tamron and hope to be able to keep it.
11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,773
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I would love to try out the K-3 with the Tamron. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere so that's not an option. I really do like the Tamron and hope to be able to keep it.
The K-3 will make you like it even more. Faster more decisive AF will make it seem like a new lens.
11-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Boc
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cluj
Photos: Albums
Posts: 22
I have the K-30 and the Tammy and i used it on the K-x as well. The difference is considerable even on blind stop-to-stop focusing. IMHO all the Tamron needs is a beefy enough motor to drive its focus and as I saw from reviews the K-3 has it. I also had the opportunity to play around with the Sigma and it beats the Tamron hands down in speed but image quality-wise lags a bit behind (especially at f2.8). I would say that if you plan to shoot below f4 the most time and need the IQ and OTOH don't mind the focus noise the Tamron - K-3 wouild be the better option. Otherwise if you would like to stay stealthier, and need more of a reach then low light performance go with the Sigma - K-30 combo.

11-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25
QuoteOriginally posted by Boc Quote
I have the K-30 and the Tammy and i used it on the K-x as well. The difference is considerable even on blind stop-to-stop focusing. IMHO all the Tamron needs is a beefy enough motor to drive its focus and as I saw from reviews the K-3 has it. I also had the opportunity to play around with the Sigma and it beats the Tamron hands down in speed but image quality-wise lags a bit behind (especially at f2.8). I would say that if you plan to shoot below f4 the most time and need the IQ and OTOH don't mind the focus noise the Tamron - K-3 wouild be the better option. Otherwise if you would like to stay stealthier, and need more of a reach then low light performance go with the Sigma - K-30 combo.
I have similar but not exactly same query. Just upgraded from K5 to K3 and is looking for a tele-zoom lens, so is considering Tamron 70-200, Sigam 70-200 or Pentax DA 60-250.....Would be great if someone can help what will the performance of these tele-zoom lens in K3 ??
11-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oracle, Az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
QuoteOriginally posted by jacpat1234 Quote
I have similar but not exactly same query. Just upgraded from K5 to K3 and is looking for a tele-zoom lens, so is considering Tamron 70-200, Sigam 70-200 or Pentax DA 60-250.....Would be great if someone can help what will the performance of these tele-zoom lens in K3 ??
Someone has, read the new review of the DA*60-250. It made up my mind.
11-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 83
QuoteOriginally posted by jacpat1234 Quote
I have similar but not exactly same query. Just upgraded from K5 to K3 and is looking for a tele-zoom lens, so is considering Tamron 70-200, Sigam 70-200 or Pentax DA 60-250.....Would be great if someone can help what will the performance of these tele-zoom lens in K3 ??


If you don't have to shoot below f4.0, then the Pentax is wider and has more reach. But, if you have to shoot below f4.0, then your only choices would be the Tamron or the Sigma. I have the older non OS Sigma and have been very happy with it. I'm not a big fan of the noise that the screw drive lenses make, but the K-3 is supposed to be quieter in that respect.
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 545
I haven't tried the Tamron 70-200 on my K3 yet but will hopefully soon. The Tamron worked great on the K5IIs so I expect it will work just as well on the K3.

Dale
11-21-2013, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 5
I have the K-3 and am a longtime user of the Tamron. I shot a bunch of frames last night and I can tell you the lens works. I have not gotten to put it through its paces though. If I take some action/focus intensive shots in the next few days I'll try and put them up.
11-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shivaess Quote
I have the K-3 and am a longtime user of the Tamron. I shot a bunch of frames last night and I can tell you the lens works. I have not gotten to put it through its paces though. If I take some action/focus intensive shots in the next few days I'll try and put them up.
Please do so. I am very curious to see how well it works.
11-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 720
Original Poster
Since the Sigma 70-200 is on sale for black Friday, I thought I'd check in to see if there is any other further debate/discussion on the topic. Still wondering which combination would give me the best results. Thanks again.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, combination, dslr, k-3, k-3 tamron, k-30, k-30 sigma, k3, love, pentax k-3, sigma, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Field Sports - DA*60~250 [or] Tamron 70~200 [or] Sigma 70~200 joe.penn Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 02-03-2014 06:11 AM
Help with Tamron 70-200 or Sigma 70-200 candgpics Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-01-2013 06:03 PM
DA* 200 mm vs. Tamron/Sigma 70-200 f2.8 yorik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 08-21-2012 03:50 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA 100-300, FA 70-200, M 28mm; Sigma EX 28-70, Apo 70-300; Tamron Di LD 70-300 stillnk Sold Items 17 04-08-2012 11:39 AM
K-5 and Tamron 70-200? nick52 Pentax K-5 16 02-11-2012 07:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top