Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Top LCD problem

Has anyone experienced problems with the top LCD?

My K-3 is about a week old. The top LCD is starting to show missing/flickering segments. Sometimes a few minutes after switching on it sorts itself out, but at other times it stays that way. It looks to me like some loose contacts in the LCD panel - I've seen this happen in cheap pocket calculators, watches and the like but never in anything costing more than $10, unless it had been dropped - which is something that has definitely not happened (yet?) to my K-3. Looks like something may have gone wrong during assembly.

I'm sure it is something minor and very easily repairable but shudder at the thought of having to send it abroad for repair so instead I'l just hope that it heals itself.

In all other respects it works just perfectly and I'll still be happy with it even if I have to contend with the faulty top display. Oddly enough I have never had a camera with a top LCD and now that I have one it doesn't work.

Incidentally, is there any way to adjust the contrast/viewing angle of the top display? Apart from that being useful in itself, in most cases of similarly faulty displays I have found that adjusting the contrast can often help improve the weak/flickery segments even if at the cost of poor contrast on the other good segments.. However after being through all the menus and the manual I cannot find anything.

11-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Has anyone experienced problems with the top LCD?

My K-3 is about a week old. The top LCD is starting to show missing/flickering segments. Sometimes a few minutes after switching on it sorts itself out, but at other times it stays that way. It looks to me like some loose contacts in the LCD panel - I've seen this happen in cheap pocket calculators, watches and the like but never in anything costing more than $10, unless it had been dropped - which is something that has definitely not happened (yet?) to my K-3. Looks like something may have gone wrong during assembly.

I'm sure it is something minor and very easily repairable but shudder at the thought of having to send it abroad for repair so instead I'l just hope that it heals itself.

In all other respects it works just perfectly and I'll still be happy with it even if I have to contend with the faulty top display. Oddly enough I have never had a camera with a top LCD and now that I have one it doesn't work.

Incidentally, is there any way to adjust the contrast/viewing angle of the top display? Apart from that being useful in itself, in most cases of similarly faulty displays I have found that adjusting the contrast can often help improve the weak/flickery segments even if at the cost of poor contrast on the other good segments.. However after being through all the menus and the manual I cannot find anything.
I would get the camera replaced by your retailer if possible.

And no, there are no contrast/viewing angle settings for the display. I would recommend keeping the backlight on if you're having trouble seeing it (it's on by default).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I would if I had a decent local retailer. I bought the camera from overseas and would have to send it overseas again for repair or replacement, which is quite a scary concept for me.
11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242020-k-3-arrived-today-faulty-display.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/236...r-display.html

It seems, unfortunately, that the top display reliability remains a quality issue at Pentax, for both K5 and K3.
It's definitely a reason to replace the body or let it fix it under the warranty.

11-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Mine looks exactly the same as that

The faulty segments are not just off or dim, they flicker.
11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would rather send it back now and wait a little longer for a replacement or fix than go on with an annoying issue like that.