Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you experienced any problems with your K-3?
My K-3 has never had any problems 5963.44%
My K-3 has or have had minor problems that do not render it unusable 3032.26%
My K-3 has or have had major problems that render it unusable 44.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Keep in mind that forums are always hotbeds of complaints, because users who have problems are more likely to seek out a forum and talk about it. A user who is happily using his camera wont have such a presence online, wont be as vocal. You are polling people who are most likely to have problems, this is not a representative poll made on the population of all K-3 units. I expect this poll will show that "every second camera is defective" or some other such terrible trend - a trend that is not real
Considering this camera just came out, I think it might be too early for polls about reliability. Maybe about overall QC, if you contrast the results to total number of units sold. Of course, that would also not be accurate because not every K-3 owner will see this thread.
I agree with Na Horuk that forums can attract a lot of complaints. This is why I actually closed a thread that I created a few days back about the MF indicator coming on even when the AF/MF switch was set to AF. On two occasions I have had the AF stop (using my FA 77 and FA*300) completely. I actually had to stop my shooting of birds at a nature center and head home. Yesterday I was out trying to see if the problem resurfaces - did not occur. However, the camera's playback did not work until I turned it off and back on.
Adorama has been great with returns in the past (Helen and Leah are some good folks to work with). I think I still have some time to return it. I hope there are simple firmware fixes because I am reluctant to return my silver K3 (I am attached to it!).

Maybe I should just send it in for repairs rather than return it if these problems resurface?

11-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I sent my 300 click K-5IIs in for repairs back in September. As of this writing I still don't have my camera back. This is because test/calibration equipment for the K-5IIs hasn't been made available to CRIS, the only authorized service facility in the US. And no replacement models exist in the PENTAX US whs.

My advice to K-3 owners is this:
a) buy from a dealer with a great return policy
b) use the camera like hell until the return policy expires
c) do not expect Pentax to fix all issues via firmware. Some problems may be a manufacturing defect, others indicative of design flaws.

I can guarantee you this: if you send a K-3 out for repairs you will be without a camera for MONTHS.
11-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks Krebsy for the heads up. Sorry about your K5 II experiences. Maybe I should return it and settle for a black one.
11-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

According to the Pentax Service Manager their US warehouse has moved and has little inventory. They also know very little of what's incoming until they actually receive it.

It's clear to me that supporting the needs of users who require service isn't a top priority for Pentax at the moment. I'm sorry to report this. I wish it weren't the case. There just doesn't seem to be a plan to address this issue in the short term.

As for me... I'm shooting film at the moment. And it's been a wonderful experience. I still want my damn camera back, though!

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Thanks Krebsy for the heads up. Sorry about your K5 II experiences. Maybe I should return it and settle for a black one.

11-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Forum Member

This poll is destroyed with <potty mouth word edited by mod> talk. I was happy for this poll - now it's more about peoples personal relationship to their old cameras,. common advices and thoughts.

Keep it straight!

Last edited by Parallax; 12-01-2013 at 07:20 PM.
11-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
This poll is destroyed with <potty mouth word edited by mod> talk. I was happy for this poll - now it's more about peoples personal relationship to their old cameras,. common advices and thoughts.

Keep it straight!
You can always tell when you have a newbie, I sympathize with your complaint, but it's a forum, not a scientific convention. You'll get used to it.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.
11-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
Veteran Member

99% of forum polls provide useless data. I'm sorry I have to break this news to you.

Pentax not having a plan for repairing cameras that are in production.... That's an issue worth communicating. And it's going to affect some K-3 users in the short term once the return period expires.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote

Keep it straight!

Last edited by Parallax; 12-01-2013 at 07:23 PM.
11-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #38

My K-3 has never had any problems

how many of you are not using the grip ? It seems to me the grip is part of the problem

11-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
how many of you are not using the grip ? It seems to me the grip is part of the problem
Good point to consider. My AF issue came up even without the grip.
11-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Good point to consider. My AF issue came up even without the grip.
I was meaning power on issues....
11-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
I sent my 300 click K-5IIs in for repairs back in September. As of this writing I still don't have my camera back. This is because test/calibration equipment for the K-5IIs hasn't been made available to CRIS, the only authorized service facility in the US. And no replacement models exist in the PENTAX US whs.

My advice to K-3 owners is this:
a) buy from a dealer with a great return policy
b) use the camera like hell until the return policy expires
c) do not expect Pentax to fix all issues via firmware. Some problems may be a manufacturing defect, others indicative of design flaws.

I can guarantee you this: if you send a K-3 out for repairs you will be without a camera for MONTHS.
My K-01 quit working on the 243rd click and has been sitting at CRIS since Sep 3. Calling CRIS and Pentax service always got the same answer - waiting for parts and no idea when. The email will be ignored. Once they told me that there are more than a hundred of cameras there waiting for parts. Comparing with the service I received from Nikon before, Pentax is horrible. Their warehouse move happened months ago. For me it might be a good idea to wait until all (?) issues resolved before getting a new K-3. I like their camera but not the service.
11-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

This is really disappointing to read. One of the reasons why I sprung for the K-5IIs is because I thought the platform was mature with all of the bugs worked out.

I'm not sure why so many companies fail miserably in this area. People like us have invested thousands of dollars into this brand. We're hooked! Good service would have gone a long way to maintaining positive brand image in our minds.

A good policy would have been to buy out the defective cameras after a specific timeframe elapsed. I think six weeks should be the limit if not sooner for a product covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

QuoteOriginally posted by jdong Quote
My K-01 quit working on the 243rd click and has been sitting at CRIS since Sep 3. Calling CRIS and Pentax service always got the same answer - waiting for parts and no idea when. The email will be ignored. Once they told me that there are more than a hundred of cameras there waiting for parts. Comparing with the service I received from Nikon before, Pentax is horrible. Their warehouse move happened months ago. For me it might be a good idea to wait until all (?) issues resolved before getting a new K-3. I like their camera but not the service.

Last edited by krebsy75; 11-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
11-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

My apologies for derailing the thread.
11-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
This is really disappointing to read. One of the reasons why I sprung for the K-5IIs is because I thought the platform was mature with all of the bugs worked out.
One of the shop guys, when my *ist went in for warranty work informed me that there are more moving parts in an *ist, than there are in a car. You can test whether or not it works coming out of the factory, but with electronics that's no guaranty it will continue to work. The good thing is, if it works for six months, it will probably continue to work a lot longer, at least with electronics. But, I had a circuit board fail (in my *ist) after 30 months, with 6 months left on the extended warranty, so even that isn't always true.
11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I just received a voicemail that the Pentax warehouse received my K-5IIs from the Philippines and that it's being shipped to CRIS in Arizona. Looks like I'll get it within the next 10 days or so.

Hmm... kind of a coincidence considering this thread. Regardless, good news for me.