Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
One can trust - doubt - or disbelieve. Most counting is your own experience.
For newbies lots of questioning is needed first - that's the only way to find out.

For fallen angles like me who worked with all high-professional-tools
but im my private time for 14 years now with Pentax - there is no way to stay
with it professionally - the mistakes they do are legion - but once ago they really
did a good start-up ... but then slowly tumbled form one death to another ... held upright
only because they have lots of cheap glasses from historic great times long ago in the past.
Still photo-cameras are well done.

And they have some believers in DSLR ... who don't buy into real great names in photograpy.
I guess this is a psychological setting - to hold on to the castaway - to the low-talented but filled
with dreams for the sky ~ (or stars)

I sometimes look at the list of winning cameras
in my favourite test-magazine.

Then - out of homesick curiosity I look where the Pentaxes are now in the list of midprice-DSLRs
Watch prices and numbers as follows:
Vergleich: DSLR und DSLM im Test - CHIP

Then I look if a Pentax can be found now (with the new K-3 maybe) in the list for video-DSLRs
Vergleich: DSLR und DSLM f

I guess this is a look into reality hard to bear ... but true.
But of course: Only trust your own experience ... as always and forever ...
Wow...

01-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #152
Veteran Member

om, no one produces sensors without hot pixels. You'd expect Nikons flagship to not have hot pixel issues? Guess what. It has tons of them. They all simply process them away, which is quite trivial.

Why Pentax didn't do it in the K-5 for video I don't know. Maybe they forgot to. Don't know about the K-3, people say it runs cooler, but perhaps they simply filter the pixels away.

Pentax will do fine, sadly they don't really get video, but not everyone cares. I see them as about on par with the competition, but sadly they don't stand out.

Even if SR is a heat issue, having it be available, with a disclaimer...

Maybe if one of you K-3 owners has too much time you can test if the camera heats up faster in LiveView (with SR) than in video mode (without SR, and without recording to make it fair).

Pentax may argue it wasn't a selling point anyway... It could be. Make ads highlighting the feature, and the superiority of mechanical SR. Demonstrate it. Have someone who is good at it walk handheld, operate it with long lenses, do the same with no SR and movie SR. Also show the effect mechanical SR has when you are for example using a shoulder mount and other rigs... Demonstrate that it still smoothens your video.
01-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maverick96 Quote
I tend to do more cinematic work that is handheld so a tripod isn't always the best option in certain conditions.
Whatever brand or dslr, SR (in body or in lens) always seems troublesome and a trade off.
Doesn't something like this solve all problems relating to handheld footage?
For sure, this is something I'd consider buying..

http://www.edelkrone.com/eu/p/101/the-pocket-rig
01-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Whatever brand or dslr, SR (in body or in lens) always seems troublesome and a trade off.
Doesn't something like this solve all problems relating to handheld footage?
For sure, this is something I'd consider buying..

http://www.edelkrone.com/eu/p/101/the-pocket-rig
Quite nice, but not sure how stable it will be. Watch what EOSHD does with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and E-M5, and how they rave about it. Seems like you can actually make movies with it, that's how good stabilization is. No need to carry a rig at all.

01-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Watch what EOSHD does with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and E-M5, and how they rave about it. Seems like you can actually make movies with it, that's how good stabilization is. No need to carry a rig at all.
Unless I missed something, I understand that camera has other issues. That's what I meant: there always seems to be some kind of trade off you have to make. With something like this mini rig, whatever brand, it always works and you can use it on the different cams you have and also going forward in a couple of years.
Quickly checked it out yesterday evening on youtube, the reviews I saw seemed quite good...
01-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Unless I missed something, I understand that camera has other issues. That's what I meant: there always seems to be some kind of trade off you have to make. With something like this mini rig, whatever brand, it always works and you can use it on the different cams you have and also going forward in a couple of years.
Quickly checked it out yesterday evening on youtube, the reviews I saw seemed quite good...
Yeah, but those issues are not due to SR, if I haven't missed anything. It's more a problem with Olympus attitude towards video... "Video? There's Panasonic for that... we want to focus on photography!". I mean, there is no reason why a camera is able to do 30 fps, but not 24 or 25.

So basically the problem right now is that there is no camera that packs everything into one nice package. Some come close, but no camera is complete. A GH3 with the latest Sony image processor and the Olympus stabilizer? Perhaps add the Canon 70D AF? However everything points at Sony getting the 5 axis stabilizer. And Sony is giving all their new cameras the BIONZ X processor, which gives their cameras 4K, very high bitrates, 10 bit h264 video, pixel binning, ... if supported by the sensor of course. They are also working on sensors with PDAF all over the sensor. So basically they could put it all together. Now the Sony alpha 5000 doesn't make use of the BIONZ X (only 24 Mbps for example), but then again it seems to be more consumer oriented. We'll have to see.

Or perhaps Pentax sees the light, and ups bitrate + enables SR. :P
01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #157

Couldn't agree more. It seems each company pick and choose but never follow through with a DSLR that is the whole package. Pentax especially. One will have 24p video but won't include mic jack. Another model had mic jack but no manual video control. This is why I was hoping the K3 would shine on video.

I like the GH2 but what gripes me is their lenses (or lack of). If you create a body that does not have stabilization built in, make all your lenses with OIS! There selection has some great f-stop choices but most lack OIS. Doesn't make much sense to me. The best OIS currently lens only drops to f2.8.

01-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I like the GH2 but what gripes me is their lenses (or lack of). If you create a body that does not have stabilization built in, make all your lenses with OIS! There selection has some great f-stop choices but most lack OIS. Doesn't make much sense to me. The best OIS currently lens only drops to f2.8.
And that is, together with the GH3, for a dslr that is being made with video in mind!
Try to look at stabilisation as something that is done outside of a dslr. Same thing as audio. And then you can use that gear on you next camera as well, whatever brand it may be.

If there is anything really missing from the K3, I'd say it is 50/60p at full HD...
As there is no work around for that.
01-24-2014, 03:05 AM   #159
Veteran Member

...never follow through with a DSLR that is the whole package. Pentax especially.

I like the GH2 but what gripes me is their lenses (or lack of). If you create a body that does not have stabilization built in,
make all your lenses with OIS! There selection has some great f-stop choices but most lack OIS. Doesn't make much sense
to me. The best OIS currently lens only drops to f2.8.
True. Only rarely (2 years ago) they I went into that business with costly fast lenses - and few with O.I.S. only ...
I hope Tamron does more about that very soon ...

I have not come across faster O.I.S. lenses beyond 2,8 yet: Micro Four Thirds Objektive - HENNIGArts : Technik
only that Leica-lense not available yet: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/08/panasonic-leica-dg-nocticron-42-5mm-...amples-gallery

Anyway, 2.8 is quite enough - a wide angle 3 x Zoom does allmost all needed
Panasonic Lumix H-HS12035E around 650,- €

For Tele (sometimes if really needed) the 14-140mm is well built and affordable - and with O.I.S. (but not fast !)

Lumixes GH2 and 3 are on top of the list - their prices don't fall down easy ... what a pity !
So I would love to go for a Panasonic DMC-GH3A EG-K Kit 12-35mm that will be around 1500,- €

Or a cheaper GH2 of course which still is a good deal on "low budget"
Get it and you have a good one: ..... (To much ISO here sometimes - but good Noise (but also small DOF)
Birminghams German Market with Panasonic GH2 & 12-35mm Lumix GX ... By Dave Holden - YouTube

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-24-2014 at 03:33 AM.
01-24-2014, 03:18 AM   #160
Veteran Member

True. Only rarely 1 ore 2 years) they I went into that business with costly fast lenses - and few with O.I.S. only ...
I hope Tamron does more about that very soon ...

I have not come across faster O.I.S. lenses beyond 2,8 yet ... only that Leica-lense:
Micro Four Thirds Objektive - HENNIGArts : Technik

Anyway, 2.8 is quite enough - a wide angle 3 x Zoom does allmost all needed
Panasonic Lumix H-HS12035E around 650,- €

Lumixes GH2 and 3 are on top of the list - their prices don't fall down easy ... what a pity !
So I would love to go for a Panasonic DMC-GH3A EG-K Kit 12-35mm that will be around 1500,- €
Or a cheaper GH2 of course which still is a good deal on "low budget"
There'll be cheaper GH3 once the GH4/5 is there

Also, not having to carry stabilization gear can be nice. And it can give you the ability to get shots you couldn't otherwise. I'm thinking about not having shooting permission, having more freedom of motion, being able to work in tighter spaces, ...
01-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Also, not having to carry stabilization gear can be nice.
Yes
... and if you want some great stabilisation (3 point body contact) with a GH3
.. GH2 fits to another modell by Varavon
I really would love to try this - it really makes much sense to me:

Also possible now is a shoulder rig added to it - either some small "fast draw"
without any extra-bullshit to it, like handles, rods and whatnot ... or this big one
because now you have a shoulder-camera and can even forget about SR completely !

Or perhaps Pentax sees the light, and ups bitrate + enables SR. :P
If that could happen - I might want to get a K-3 even

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-24-2014 at 04:23 AM.
01-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Yes
... and if you want some great stabilisation (3 point body contact) with a GH3
.. GH2 fits to another modell by Varavon
I really would love to try this - it really makes much sense to me:

Varavon Loupe EX View Finder for Panasonic GH3 - YouTube

Also possible now is a shoulder rig added to it - either some small "fast draw"
without any extra-bullshit to it, like handles, rods and whatnot ... or this big one
because now you have a shoulder-camera and can even forget about SR completely !

If that could happen - I might want to get a K-3 even
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 stabilises more than a shoulder rig.
01-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #163

Also, not having to carry stabilization gear can be nice. And it can give you the ability to get shots you couldn't otherwise. I'm thinking about not having shooting permission, having more freedom of motion, being able to work in tighter spaces, ...

Correct. A shoulder rig is workable but sometimes, especially for amateur, you are running and gunning with many restrictions. Nice to be able to work with camera/lens stablilization when shooting in this manner.
01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #164

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 stabilises more than a shoulder rig.

But I noticed it doesn't allow 24p filming, only 30p. Why is this?
01-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why do people think 24fps is nessessary for digital video that you mostly play on your PC or TV (which can play any framerate) ? It's just a legacy 'look' based on an old mechanical sync factor for film and audio. 60fps is much more useful for home video editing because you can make some nice slow motion clips.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 01-25-2014 at 12:33 AM.