Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A time-lapse movie of the jello as it's setting might be cool - o wait is that not our topic?
Sorry just came from the why I won't buy a K-3 thread

12-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Wow, that is the first Pentax-Movie with quite good quality.
Almost as good as GH2 ... well, forget it.
The film itself is a great job too - of course.

That video makes me feel someone saved the honour of Pentax.
(for me)

One last time:
Less noise - at low light - is not true for the K-5II ?
Really just the same as the K-5 only ?
hmmmmm ... Doubting again the K-3 can top them.

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.
12-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Wow, that is the first Pentax-Movie with quite good quality.
Almost as good as GH2 ... well, forget it.
The film itself is a great job too - of course.

That video makes me feel someone saved the honour of Pentax.
(for me)

One last time:
Less noise - at low light - is not true for the K-5II ?
Really just the same as the K-5 only ?
hmmmmm ... Doubing again the K-3 can top this.
It's not the camera, it's just that film makers haven't really picked up the K-5 as a tool, usually they shoot Canon or Panasonic. You'll have a hard time finding good stuff done with a Sony, Olympus, Nikon or Samsung, even though they are all quite capable too. Ok, Sony there will be good stuff, especially with their APS-C and full frame video cameras.

There is one pretty big issue with the K-5 though: Hot pixels. You'll get them once you shoot a bit longer. That can be a deal breaker, especially in warmer countries.

IIRC the changes with the K-5 II were no glass in front of the display and an improved AF. Same sensor, same processor, same everything. Perhaps they did change the software a bit to filter more noise, but I haven't heard anything about that.

To be honest if you want good low light performance for video, the GH3 is probably the way to go. And if you want shallow DoF there's always f0.75 glass...

I did shoot some more today, I think the trick with the K-5 is to hold the camera far away from the body. That way the hands will give you enough stabilization so that the SR system can do the rest (the SR can filter out the small fast jerks that come from walking, but not the bigger up and down motion, so that's what you'll have to try to avoid). Also it seems like the camera won't try to correct for rotation, so you have to be careful about that.

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.
12-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There is one pretty big issue with the K-5 though: Hot pixels. You'll get them once you shoot a bit longer. That can be a deal breaker, especially in warmer countries
Anyone know if the K-3 suffers from the same problem?

12-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Anyone know if the K-3 suffers from the same problem?
I'd be curious as well. In Malaysia (around 30C) it can take maybe 5 minutes (in LiveView or recording video) outdoors for the camera to heat up enough for hot pixels to show up if it has to ramp up the ISO. In colder regions, or with some steady airflow it can take 10, 20 minutes. Maybe someone can test that? Just record video with a fairly closed aperture.

I've attached a short sample of the issue. Lens cap on the camera, let it in LiveView for a while before starting recording. The camera can remove the hot pixels when shooting stills... sadly it can't when shooting video.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 13-01-10 17-13-56 IMGP3379.zip (74.3 KB, 17 views)
12-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #51
Veteran Member

It's not the camera, it's just that film makers haven't really picked up the K-5 as a tool, usually they shoot Canon or Panasonic ...
That is true - but that still is a camera-problem of course.
Who wants a camera with stoneage robotism ?
There is one pretty big issue with the K-5 though: Hot pixels. You'll get them once you shoot a bit longer.
That can be a deal breaker, especially in warmer countries.
Hot pixles, yes ... And a lot of grainy noise while to much ISO is on.
An extreme driving snow festival at times ... Terrible !
"Luckily" the bad compression kills some of that "coloured snow"
but I rather have it as a good sign (!) of fullest resolution made possible ...

Some people on the web say that if you use an external lifeview-evf (smallest I found)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/170975526735?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
only possible by using the HDMI-Out to a HDMI-IN capable device - you do take a lot of the
heat away from the camera and the sensor wins some "life-time" then. This sounds as if Pentax
was not not intelligent enough to prevent those heat-waves mounting-up - while display being turned
on. I had that in the cold autumn-forest too - very often - that red thermometer. The say this helps a lot.
(Liveview turns of only when HDMI leads to an external viewfinder) Very good for near ground shots anyway !

In all reviews on Pentax-cameras for many many years now, allmost all "professional" reviews
spoke of to much noise in higher ISO ... The K-5II was the first camera where watchers now were
satisfied and declared that Pentax finally made it. So my hope is, driving-snow has gone in the K-5II ?
To be honest if you want good low light performance for video, the GH3 is probably the way to go
Well it 's almost good enough, but that's not realy a strength of Lumixes,
I heard.

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sounds like a lot of gossip, hearsay and assumptions going on here.
I thought this thread was about the K-3 v the K-01. I could care less about other cameras and how it is thought they perform.
But I'm very interested in actual owners experiences and actual comparative examples between the two cameras mentioned in this thread's subject title.
12-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
But I'm very interested in actual owners experiences and actual comparative examples between the two cameras mentioned in this thread's subject title.
did some couple of days ago. Not sure where i posted the link..
Just tell me if you have sthing specific in mind. It was only indoors. The K3 did better. But i want to go outside this weekend to judge actual usefulness of SR in K3
I must say, Up to now I found that the K3 performed better for video than the K01. Far more reliable.

12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I must say, Up to now I found that the K3 performed better for video than the K01. Far more reliable.
Good to hear. I'm fairly appalled by the restricted video performance and VIQ of the K-01, so anything would likely better it.

For example. The K-01 is usable for short distance work, like interviews, animal closeups and so on. Panning scenery and shots where there is lots of detail such as cityscapes, motor sports events, coastal views and so on all become mush.
12-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Exactly. That is also my biggest complaint with the k01. That is why i threw some wideangle harbor shots at the k3 in my testvideo (under the video section..)
It did very well to my feeling
Ultimate test will be in the woods though. The k01 completely lost that battle...
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, I took a look. Not bad for the light you had to work with. The higher ISO shots fell apart a little, especially the second last clip (the building) - but it would have been difficult getting good focus I imagine.
How did you have the picture style set? Contrast and Sharpness off?
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Thanks, I took a look. Not bad for the light you had to work with. The higher ISO shots fell apart a little, especially the second last clip (the building) - but it would have been difficult getting good focus I imagine.
How did you have the picture style set? Contrast and Sharpness off?
Contrast, sharpness and saturation down, but not all the way yet. And still on the bright setting. Didnt try muted yet
Building was 3200 and it was ridiculously dark...
12-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #58
Pentaxian

That is true - but that still is a camera-problem of course.
Who wants a camera with stoneage robotism ?

Hot pixles, yes ... And a lot of grainy noise while to much ISO is on.
An extreme driving snow festival at times ... Terrible !
"Luckily" the bad compression kills some of that "coloured snow"
but I rather have it as a good sign (!) of fullest resolution made possible ...

Some people on the web say that if you use an external lifeview-evf (smallest I found)
3.5" LCD Monitor Electronic View Finder Viewfinder EVF fr DSLR Rig Canon 5D2 7D | eBay
only possible by using the HDMI-Out to a HDMI-IN capable device - you do take a lot of the
heat away from the camera and the sensor wins some "life-time" then. This sounds as if Pentax
was not not intelligent enough to prevent those heat-waves mounting-up - while display being turned
on. I had that in the cold autumn-forest too - very often - that red thermometer. The say this helps a lot.
(Liveview turns of only when HDMI leads to an external viewfinder) Very good for near ground shots anyway !

In all reviews on Pentax-cameras for many many years now, allmost all "professional" reviews
spoke of to much noise in higher ISO ... The K-5II was the first camera where watchers now were
satisfied and declared that Pentax finally made it. So my hope is, driving-snow has gone in the K-5II ?

Well it 's almost good enough, but that's not realy a strength of Lumixes,
I heard.
Stoneage robotism?

The HDMI thing is interesting, but not really an option for me.

Not all Lumixes are created equal. Basically on the GH3, and only on the GH3 (and GH2) ALL pixels are taken into account for video. i.e. the pixel size is HUGE... you have a mFT sensor with 2 MP (Full HD) basically. On all other cameras, even if you have a larger sensor, only 1 out of every 10 pixels perhaps is taken for video. That leads to bad aliasing problems, moire, AND the actual pixel size that ends up on screen is much smaller. Shooting a sensor that is much smaller, but only has 2 MP might give you better low light performance. That's for video, not for stills. For stills the Lumixes, including the GH3 won't be as good.

@Steve: Comparing the K-3 only to the K-01 is like comparing a new car only to an old Fiat Uno. Yes, it will probably be better than that. If it weren't, that'd be very surprising/embarassing. The thing is that Pentax has done better, with the K-5 (at least in terms of shake reduction and codec), and it should be compared against that one. And against the competition.
12-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Yes ... and I even reach back to the K-7

... because we all just need something we know
to build comparissons between those different tools.
And then comes the financial thought of course about
giving up the old for something new and better ? And so on.

It really struck me, that the K-5 with its MJPEG may be better
in terms of IQ than what the new and much better designed K-3
can do because it only handles a compressed modern H.264 codec.

This would mean, that the first real Pentax video-camera with undoubtable
full access to all needed operations that a real cameraman wants, is relying
on a poor codec, that is worse than before, but better than a K-01.

Now it seems interesting for me to think about bying a cheap old K-5 (II) and
to postpone or even forget an expensive new K-03 - even though I hate the
very idea to still have no controle very soon on ISO, speed and manual sound !

Where is
Vitaliy Kiselev the hacker, and why is he not interested in Pentax at all ?
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3298/pentax-hack-status/p1

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-04-2013 at 04:25 AM.
12-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Yes ... and I even reach back to the K-7

... because we all just need something we know
to build comparissons between those different tools.
And then comes the financial thought of course about
giving up the old for something new and better ? And so on.

It really struck me, that the K-5 with its MJPEG may be better
in terms of IQ than what the new and much better designed K-3
can do because it only handles a compressed modern H.264 codec.

This would mean, that the first real Pentax video-camera with undoubtable
full access to all needed operations that a real cameraman wants, is relying
on a poor codec, that is worse than before, but better than a K-01.

Now it seems interesting for me to think about bying a cheap old K-5 (II) and
to postpone or even forget an expensive new K-03 - even though I hate the
very idea to still have no controle very soon on ISO, speed and manual sound !

Where is
Vitaliy Kiselev the hacker, and why is he not interested in Pentax at all ?
Pentax hack status - Personal View Talks
Is the h264 implementation really that bad? How would it fare with the tree sample that I've uploaded recently? I can see it fall apart a bit cause I only used 60 Mbps instead of 80 Mbps, but it's still acceptable. However at the most efficient setting I get 25 Mbps in h264, any lower than that and it will look bad. And that is with a much more sophisticated h264 encoder.

Pentax should have a setting that allows for 50 Mbps h264 videos minimum... or even more than that. h264 is more efficient than MJPEG... it's just not that efficient unless you can give it a ton of processing power. Then again, most cameras have the same or even worse limits.

I thought that the lack of SR is a bigger issue though...

Sadly the K-5 isn't perfect either... frame rates are a bit low, especially at 1080, and the lack of control can be quite problematic. Then switching to video takes too much time and is too much of a hassle (turning that locked mode dial...), switching back and forth between stills and video is just annoying. And no focus peaking during video recording is just sad... (though the K-3 didn't fix that either).