Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #91
Veteran Member

AF in DSLRs is really not useful (except for the 70D), that will change eventually. Anyway that's more for regular consumers who just want sharp video and don't care about anything else... or, in the future, with much more sophisticated tools for big movie productions.

SR can be useful for more ambitious projects though, as it can replace some gear on a shoot, and might make run and gun filmmaking without permits easier (no need for professional looking gear?). Or ENG work perhaps? A DSLR isn't exactly ergonomic for video recording, you can't (without additional gear) mount it on your body so that it's stable. Mechanical SR would fix that.

Yes, I spit out lagarith files that I compress with x264. IMHO there is no alternative... the encoder in Premiere etc. isn't as good, and nowhere near as flexible. There may be some professional encoder out there that is better, but then it'll be very expensive. x264 is widely regarded as the best h264 encoder there is. Maybe your settings were bad?

12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
But watch on minute 0:30 ... I saw that terrible effect in his other video as well.
That seems to be that stupid AF or is it the digital SR ?
is that where the camera appears to be making a dolly movement forward, towards the door? it happens again, but worse, at ~1:52, moving forward into the revolving door.

the verticals in both of those shots totally fall apart... tough scenes to encode.

those scenes were the reason that I suggested 50p/60p... a lot more material to work with for slo-mo, I'm guessing that it would have made a huge difference.

where this vid is outstanding for me is when the model is posed as if it was a magazine shot... i.e., with the two doormen... and that shot where she is posing leaned over against the big column, etc.

regardless, creative concept is what won the award... the way that it was edited, the music, etc.

concept and editing is also what made the parkour video so good... the use of wide angle, the framing, etc... it's just that as editors we can see problems that don't matter so much to other people.

you have to apply that same level of criticism to the work that you create, or you'll never move forward.
12-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #93
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Yes, I spit out lagarith files that I compress with x264. IMHO there is no alternative... the encoder in Premiere etc. isn't as good, and nowhere near as flexible. There may be some professional encoder out there that is better, but then it'll be very expensive. x264 is widely regarded as the best h264 encoder there is. Maybe your settings were bad?
I don't think that x264 had a crf option back when I took a look at it... a lot of what I did in those years got streamed directly to the web, or put on dvd, not uploaded for re-encoding, so it was a whole different ball game.

with premiere, you must use vbr and two-pass encoding... traditionally, these editors haven't had good encoders, but things are much better nowadays, the companies started licensing the encoding portion of the software from companies that know how to encode.

try throwing more bitrate at the premiere encoder, it'll be an easier workflow than using the intermediate lagarith file.
12-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Rather than nitpick, I want to thank Ben for sharing the information and the video, and express congratulations. He clearly works well with the limits of equipment, and was recognized by those who are thinking more broadly. I'd be curious to know whether or not he used discrete audio recording, lens used and settings, frame rate, etc., but suspect the brutishness of some comments here took him away from this thread.

12-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Hm. Brutish? I don't know. What I do know is that you see all the things that make me say the K-5 was the better camera for video recording than any Pentax that followed. The video quality is just... meh, and it's really mostly due to the SR system. The video itself was done very well, it was well edited, good music, well shot, nice things done in terms of color grading, ... BUT you can still see all the artifacts the SR system introduces.

I've had a minute with the K-3... and shot this:

Now I know, not the way you'd shoot video, but it exposes the problem I have with that camera. I could shoot the same thing on the K-5, and it wouldn't look nearly as bad. Maybe I'd move beyond the range the mechanic SR system can do, at which point it won't be able to stabilize anymore, but other than that all the problems that you have in this video would be gone. You'd get a stable video without jello, without stationary motion blur, ...
12-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #96
osv
Veteran Member

wow, that was some bad jello!! lol

the "brutish" comment was uncalled for, I didn't see any of that anywhere in this thread.

if I had dslr footage i'd post it up for nitpicking; honest criticism can be very helpful.
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Quote:
We just won the Silver Medal for Best Video of the Year shot with the Pentax K-01
(silver medal best fashion video frederique renaut benjamin kanarek fashion magazine 2013
Canadian Online Publishing Awards | Benjamin Kanarek Blog
)

Yes, when grading that much ... no good camera is needed
It's all done and rounded up artistically in the editing room.
Good job !

But watch on minute 0:30 ... I saw that terrible effect in his other video as well.
That seems to be that stupid AF or is it the digital SR ?

It almost all gets hidden by those effects ... it simply gets camouflaged.
Great job to hide a bad camera .. so it is good enough for this kind of video.

(But I still don't like that poor IQ)
Reading this thread with interest as I know little about video but want to learn. So far I've learned:

1) there are a number of experts here, each one who knows everything there is to know about video,

2) nothing that any one expert says agrees with anything any other expert says,

3) even award winning videos are crap.

Maybe I don't want to learn about video after all.

12-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Reading this thread with interest as I know little about video but want to learn. So far I've learned:
1) there are a number of experts here, each one who knows everything there is to know about video,
2) nothing that any one expert says agrees with anything any other expert says,
3) even award winning videos are crap.
Maybe I don't want to learn about video after all.
Isn't that always the case cfraz ?
This observation we all know so well as true ?
And the funny thing is: This is the best way for us to learn even more.
It's the analysing mind looking through most sharp glasses as possible.

I agree with you that priests and policians in general election campaigns
are far more humble and devoted to win the goodmanship-elections that
you won allready with your friendly fatherly fondling with such bad boys.

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.
12-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Isn't that always the case cfraz ?
This observation we all know so well as true ?
And the funny thing is: This is the best way for us to learn even more.
It's the analysing mind looking through most sharp glasses as possible.

I agree with you that priests and policians in general election campaigns
are far more humble and devoted to win the goodmanship-elections that
you won allready with your friendly fatherly fondling with such bad boys.
Yes, critical examination of ideas and measurements to validate or refute those ideas, absolutely. But without mutual respect for those with differing views, no one learns a thing and the discussion becomes no more than a platform for beating one's own chest and ridiculing others.

As to the second paragraph, I don't grasp your meaning.
12-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I am learning a lot here ... People share their depth of view.
Pentax users talk about their cameras and video-tools and want
to learn why Pentax does that AF-SR job only half-heartedly and what
can be done about it.

With an alien and nonparticipating viewpoint you play the judge,
and it is clear you don't follow what really is happening here. This is
a place for discussions and help - and not for political moralistic eulogies.

And now back to the subject.

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-11-2013 at 01:35 AM.
01-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #101

Looking at the K-3 but the jello effect concerned me for video. I noticed there is a new firmware update for the camera. Anyone know if this helps the issue? Is the jello effect more noticeable at higher fps or lower? Thanks!
01-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You'll need a camera with a CCD if you want zero rolling shutter.
I don't think any firmware is able to fix what is a result of sensor type.
01-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #103

This is pretty disappointing. I like Pentax and shot video on my K7 with somewhat good results and was looking to come back with the K3(I have a GH2). I hate that the OIS is built in to lenses for the GH2 as its hard to find a decent priced lens with a wide f stop that has OIS. I thought K3 would be the ticket as everything else is enticing to me for video work.
01-15-2014, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why disappointed? It's a dslr with a CMOS sensor (like all the rest are these days). You going to get some rolling shutter jello because that's how CMOS sensor line scanning works.
I'd not let that put you off, just learn to work with it.

The 'wobble' from the SR is easily fixed, turn off SR.
01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Why disapointed ... Maverick ?
With a GH2 you are far better off as with any Pentax on the market.

The O.I.S - in lense - also will be also far better than any Pentax SR
Also rolling shutter is very much minimized in Panasonic Lumixes.

Go for that camera - or for a newer GH3 - lucky You !

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.