Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #136
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Congratulations Lauren, thats great to hear!!!

I'm retired and only since 2007 have i been taking pictures. But i've achieved way more than i thought i would as an amateur. I think in some odd way, Pentax cameras have contributed to that. I've been given full access to a playhouse to go into and take rehearsal pictures anytime i want to. Have also suggested and been approved to decorate the office with props ad photos. Also have access to two shops in different towns to hang whatever pictures i want to for sale.

Would things have been different for me if i'd gone with Canikon? Don't know but thought about it. Pentax not have having a FF, yet, in an odd way has caused Pentax to put all the functionality they can into their APS cameras.

Now buying my second printer and having a ball with Photoshop. Would like to buy a K3, but the printer company took my money first :-)
That's great news too!

For me, yes, it would be a different story if I had used a Canikon. If I had used a Canikon, I would have been "absorbed" in a way that I would be lumped in with Canikon "pros" mainly because of the equipment they use.

Maybe I would have sought out their advice, or equipment recommendations.

Using Pentax, I was left alone as the Canikon pros left me alone and assumed nothing professional could come out of my work because of the gear I was using.

Sure, there are true professionals that use whatever gear they have, but if you are breaking into a field, it's best to be different, instead of proving yourself against others.

So many things about the Pentax K5 contributed to my success. The M-JPEG, the 25fps, the dynamic range, etc. The limits/strengths of the K5 made my dreams come true.

All the things the "pros" said were bad about the Pentax K5, gave me the incentive to work around the tool shortcomings and rise above them.

The Pentax K5 was very "Mr. Miyagi" in that I learned how to be a photographer/creative/professional type before I became involved in being a Canikon sheeple.

It's why as a Pentaxian I am so strongly loyal to the brand Pentax. It means more to me than just a brand that Ricoh can play with.

Pentax is an ethos, workflow and aesthetic to me.

12-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
That's great news too!

For me, yes, it would be a different story if I had used a Canikon. If I had used a Canikon, I would have been "absorbed" in a way that I would be lumped in with Canikon "pros" mainly because of the equipment they use.

Maybe I would have sought out their advice, or equipment recommendations.

Using Pentax, I was left alone as the Canikon pros left me alone and assumed nothing professional could come out of my work because of the gear I was using.

Sure, there are true professionals that use whatever gear they have, but if you are breaking into a field, it's best to be different, instead of proving yourself against others.

So many things about the Pentax K5 contributed to my success. The M-JPEG, the 25fps, the dynamic range, etc. The limits/strengths of the K5 made my dreams come true.

All the things the "pros" said were bad about the Pentax K5, gave me the incentive to work around the tool shortcomings and rise above them.

The Pentax K5 was very "Mr. Miyagi" in that I learned how to be a photographer/creative/professional type before I became involved in being a Canikon sheeple.

It's why as a Pentaxian I am so strongly loyal to the brand Pentax. It means more to me than just a brand that Ricoh can play with.

Pentax is an ethos, workflow and aesthetic to me.
This really reminds me of a recent story I saw on how many dyslexic people have achieved a high level of success, attributable mostly to a life spent overcoming that obstacle, having to out-work others, etc.

Sort of pains me to admit that using Pentax can be a bit of a handicap, but I guess that is the reality. Only at the highest levels, though, such as yours, IMO.

Anyway, sincere congratulations, Lauren. All Pentaxians should be proud to count you as a member of our relatively small "family."
12-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well put Lauren, and BTW, congrats on your new job.
12-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #139
Site Supporter

So in short, I am working at my company (a technical software GIANT) as a creative type who is tasked with making content centered around my technical expertise and the work I have done with my K5 (and now the K3).

They took my resume, and created a job for me. Literally.
Do you need an assistant? I can write software too, if needed...

Steve

12-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #140
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
This really reminds me of a recent story I saw on how many dyslexic people have achieved a high level of success, attributable mostly to a life spent overcoming that obstacle, having to out-work others, etc.

Sort of pains me to admit that using Pentax can be a bit of a handicap, but I guess that is the reality. Only at the highest levels, though, such as yours, IMO.

Anyway, sincere congratulations, Lauren. All Pentaxians should be proud to count you as a member of our relatively small "family."
And now you begin to see why I have such passion for Pentax. Very well said.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Very well put Lauren, and BTW, congrats on your new job.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you need an assistant? I can write software too, if needed...

Steve
I too come from the technical side, and it was one of the reasons why they created the job for me. I can speak in the technical and creative worlds.

In the last 5 years, I began to feel stunted in the technical world. I began to feed my creative spirit, because it cried out and pounded on my soul.

I re-engaged my passion for photography as a way to offset my frustrations in the technical world (women in technology is a completely other topic).

Besides, having a "tech" job allowed me to buy the "toys".

When I became shut out of the creative side of software development, the K5 soothed my need to create.

The joy of what the K5 provided for me can't be calculated. Not only did it ferment and re-kindle my photography passion, but it gave me a new aesthetic in the world of video.

With a single tool, I was able to create in ways I never imagined.

In a life, there are times when you recognize a tool that made a difference in your life. Some motorcycle racers remember a certain bike. Some musicians a certain instrument.

Whatever.

In my life, I will look upon the K5 as the tool that changed me forever, and Pentax was there for me.

Pentax, again, is more than just a brand to me.

12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I have been asked to shoot a 10-15 episode video series, so there might be ANOTHER K3 coming in the near future! I am THRILLED at the tools that Pentax brings to the table!

I shoot in California in January!!!
Congratulations Lauren!! If I remember correct back in one of the other threads, I think about the art show, you were worried about getting laid off. This is a wonderful turn of events for you.

12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #142
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Congratulations Lauren!! If I remember correct back in one of the other threads, I think about the art show, you were worried about getting laid off. This is a wonderful turn of events for you.

Yep. That feeling of being laid-off/fired?

When my *then* manager found out I wanted to go to a new group...well...err...um...that's all I am going to say about that.

I *had* pitched some of these ideas to him, and he was kinda excited that I might bring some of that creative sparkle to my existing group, but he was never *excited* and upbeat about it.
It was always *lukewarm* and I kinda got a "pat on the head" sort of thing.
His timelines to *possibly* do this kind of work was too far in the future - if ever.

Life is too short.

He never tried to engage upper management to do these amazing things.
To be honest, when some folks (old timers) in my old group found out I *was* doing some of these things, they FREAKED because I was doing things "out of the pecking order" and differently from the "way things had always been done".

When I said that PowerPoints were DEAD and no one wanted content in the old formats (talking head/web cam/voice over/etc.) I had a senior person almost go apoplectic because I was peeing all over her work.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the more I wanted to change things, the bigger the target I made for myself.

Ultimately I was in the wrong group, and the powers that be understood that, and the rest is history.

So yes, because I was "pushing too hard" and not "following orders" I was sure I was going to be fired or laid off.

I could feel that tension. It was that bad.

However, when you believe in yourself, and you stand your ground, just when you think things are going to go badly, the sky opens up.

Then again, you just might get fired and/or laid off.

Life is like that.

So again, I cycle back to the K5.

When Thor fights, he can do it without Mjölnir, but he is more powerful when he has a mighty tool in his hand.

I knew what I could do with the K5 when it came to creating content, and it gave me the confidence to push my artistic vision - wherever it took me.

The Art show was a HUGE success and I have contacts and accolades from that and I sold a few pieces.

So the K5 stood by me, and with it, I was able to open up the sky.

12-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #143
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So again, this thread is about fixing my K3 cameras (I now have two).
If someone like me, is passionate about a camera, is it any wonder that I have a problem with seeing Ricoh on the back of it?

I'm just not loyal to Ricoh.

Maybe someday, sure, but not yet.

Just because Ricoh bought Pentax, does not give them credibility to be associated with Pentax.

I *know* that sounds crazy, but there it is.

12-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #144
Site Supporter

Crazy is such a strong word
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #145
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Now buying my second printer and having a ball with Photoshop. Would like to buy a K3, but the printer company took my money first :-)
The printer isn't a Lanier by any chance? If so, don't look on the back. You might not like what you find there.......
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #146
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
The printer isn't a Lanier by any chance? If so, don't look on the back. You might not like what you find there.......
LOL.
12-10-2013, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

I admire your admiration of Pentax products, Lauren, but I dare say you are giving them more credit than they deserve. You, not the camera, saw the need for change in your company. And you, not the camera, are envisioning what that change looks like. And ultimately you, not the camera are producing the final product. I imagine that your story would have been the same had you been using Fuji or Olympus or Sony or Panasonic or even Canikon, because the most important part-seeing-was you.

Congrats and good luck!
12-10-2013, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I admire your admiration of Pentax products, Lauren, but I dare say you are giving them more credit than they deserve. You, not the camera, saw the need for change in your company. And you, not the camera, are envisioning what that change looks like. And ultimately you, not the camera are producing the final product. I imagine that your story would have been the same had you been using Fuji or Olympus or Sony or Panasonic or even Canikon, because the most important part-seeing-was you.

Congrats and good luck!
Maybe.

I have been with Pentax since 1982.

A Pentax has been by my side for just about every adventure in life that I have taken.
All my memories are tied to having a Pentax next to me.
My memories, in the form of images were sealed with a Pentax.

I look at images I took in the 80s, and I remember how it was back then.
I am transported back in time, and I laugh at learning the K1000 and my ME Super.
I think of my youth.
My life before me.
My laughter and discovery with a Pentax in my hand.

As I look over the cameras that are on shelves behind me, some are the same now, as they were then.
I unfortunately, am not.
I am older, fatter and different than I was back then, but my Pentaxes remember when I could stop-a-clock

As I grow older, I look at the images that I took over the course of my life, and what I had was a tool that became familiar.
With a Pentax, I could count on it supporting what I saw in life.
Using the same camera brand - and the engineering behind it - allowed me to focus on the experience.

By using Pentax, I was able to keep a common thread in my life, and focus on being creative.
Photography is not about the camera.
However, the folks over at Canikon managed to change the narrative when it came to photography, and diverted the creative aspect of photography, into the technical side.

Since creativity is something that not everyone can achieve, Canikon instead, enlisted a different breed of camera enthusiasts, while Pentax stayed true to photographers.

Canikon was/is financially successful because they sell the "imagery" of the few people that use Canikon in creative ways.
The masses that co-op the Canikon brand, get a "referent creative authority" just for owning a Canikon.

With Pentax, you are on your own.
You will get the stares, you will get the sneers.
However, every once in a while, you get validation from the real creative types that recognize worthy images and they acknowledge the competence of Pentax.

So again, back to the K5.

By continuing to use Pentax - through the good and bad - I embraced an old friend that was with me when I was young.
I did not abandon Pentax because of peer pressure or marketing hype.
My relationship is stronger than a marketing campaign, because behind every Pentax is a Japanese engineering legacy, and we've been through too much.

The K5 allowed me to take my creativity to the next level.
I may have the creativity inside me, but the tool and my loyalty made things happen.

I just can't abandon a friend I've had for most of my life.

The Lone Ranger is nothing without Silver (and Tonto with White Fella and Scout).

12-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe.

I have been with Pentax since 1982.

A Pentax has been by my side for just about every adventure in life that I have taken.
All my memories are tied to having a Pentax next to me.
My memories, in the form of images were sealed with a Pentax.

I look at images I took in the 80s, and I remember how it was back then.
I am transported back in time, and I laugh at learning the K1000 and my ME Super.
I think of my youth.
My life before me.
My laughter and discovery with a Pentax in my hand.

As I look over the cameras that are on shelves behind me, some are the same now, as they were then.
I unfortunately, am not.
I am older, fatter and different than I was back then, but my Pentaxes remember when I could stop-a-clock

As I grow older, I look at the images that I took over the course of my life, and what I had was a tool that became familiar.
With a Pentax, I could count on it supporting what I saw in life.
Using the same camera brand - and the engineering behind it - allowed me to focus on the experience.

By using Pentax, I was able to keep a common thread in my life, and focus on being creative.
Photography is not about the camera.
However, the folks over at Canikon managed to change the narrative when it came to photography, and diverted the creative aspect of photography, into the technical side.

Since creativity is something that not everyone can achieve, Canikon instead, enlisted a different breed of camera enthusiasts, while Pentax stayed true to photographers.

Canikon was/is financially successful because they sell the "imagery" of the few people that use Canikon in creative ways.
The masses that co-op the Canikon brand, get a "referent creative authority" just for owning a Canikon.

With Pentax, you are on your own.
You will get the stares, you will get the sneers.
However, every once in a while, you get validation from the real creative types that recognize worthy images and they acknowledge the competence of Pentax.

So again, back to the K5.

By continuing to use Pentax - through the good and bad - I embraced an old friend that was with me when I was young.
I did not abandon Pentax because of peer pressure or marketing hype.
My relationship is stronger than a marketing campaign, because behind every Pentax is a Japanese engineering legacy, and we've been through too much.

The K5 allowed me to take my creativity to the next level.
I may have the creativity inside me, but the tool and my loyalty made things happen.

I just can't abandon a friend I've had for most of my life.

The Lone Ranger is nothing without Silver (and Tonto with White Fella and Scout).

Thanks for writing this Lauren.
12-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Wow!!!

Someone used my camera before I got it!!!

The nerve of them to take a single picture!!!
Same thing happened to me with my new K-3! Who do we complain to?
Attached Images