Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #181
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,428
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
How does one get on your gift-list? I could use another Q (in black, but beggars can't be choosers)
Seriously - I have one daughter who hasn't received one yet and her birthday is coming up. Once in a while for the right thing we will spring for something expensive, but grad students usually want Gift Cards.


Last edited by monochrome; 01-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.
01-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #182
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Seriously - I have one daughter who hasn't received one yet and her birthday is coming up. Once in a while for the right thing we will spring for something expensive, but grad students usually want Gift Cards.
Why not get her a K5 Mar K3?
Save the best for last?
01-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #183
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,428
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Why not get her a K5 Mar K3?
Save the best for last?
That would be over the top for grad students and doesn't fit in a purse. It's over the top for anyone! The NYC daughter is having a blast Qhooting snow in Central Park from what I hear.
"It's soooooo quiet, and the snow makes everything look so clean!!"
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #184
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That would be over the top for grad students and doesn't fit in a purse. It's over the top for anyone! The NYC daughter is having a blast Qhooting snow in Central Park from what I hear.
"It's soooooo quiet, and the snow makes everything look so clean!!"
Gotcha!!!



01-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,998
Hay Lauren -

Ed from Photo Universe went off on Ricoh's name on the back of his K3 too. You should really send him an Original by Lauren(tm) sticker....
01-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #186
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Hay Lauren -

Ed from Photo Universe went off on Ricoh's name on the back of his K3 too. You should really send him an Original by Lauren(tm) sticker....
LOL!!! Too funny!
See...I'm not the only one!
(at about 5:55)

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-15-2014 at 07:14 AM.
01-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #187
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
I will also say this...the folks who have come around to look over my cameras this week on location, have had to go around and look at the front, or ask me what cameras I was using.

So (again) don't downplay the importance of the back of the camera being an important place to put your name/logo.

I never even mention Ricoh.

Pentax.

01-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #188
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,428


01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #189
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
Now THAT is funny!!!

01-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #190
New Member
phil_rallycars's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: kalamunda
Posts: 7
do your history

do your history

fist came "Asahi" who made camera model name Pentax
then came "hoya" who made camera model name Pentax
then came "ricoh" who made camera model name Pentax

pentax is a brand of camera made by three different companies over the last 60 years
01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #191
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phil_rallycars Quote
do your history

fist came "Asahi" who made camera model name Pentax
then came "hoya" who made camera model name Pentax
then came "ricoh" who made camera model name Pentax

pentax is a brand of camera made by three different companies over the last 60 years
Yep. Acura on the front, Honda on the back.
Who cares about brands? Right?

Before doing history lessons, maybe we should also talk about Tower, Honeywell and non-SMC CPC lenses? Maybe we should do a history lesson on Cosmicar?

The K3 is a Pentax, not a Ricoh.

01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #192
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
Speaking of brands...I wonder how that "Ricoh" Theta is doing?

Not only was the Theta a failed Hoya/Pentax idea, but Ricoh went ahead and branded it as theirs!!!!

Talk about being vain!

Maybe Ricoh needs to do a bit more research before tacking on their "name" to a product.
Most Pentax users want Pentax on the front and back.

Oh wait...maybe go and ask Samsung how well a rebranded K10D did?
Same camera right?

01-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,167
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Speaking of brands...I wonder how that "Ricoh" Theta is doing?

Not only was the Theta a failed Hoya/Pentax idea, but Ricoh went ahead and branded it as theirs!!!!

Talk about being vain!

Maybe Ricoh needs to do a bit more research before tacking on their "name" to a product.
Most Pentax users want Pentax on the front and back.

Oh wait...maybe go and ask Samsung how well a rebranded K10D did?
Same camera right?

You know Lauren, I agree with you 100%, more if that were possible. I am not sure that I know why, but sadly, I don't think that most people on this forum really care that much. I do wish Ricoh luck in reviving the brand but if the opinion on this forum is any indication I am not very hopeful. But it is certainly going to be interesting to watch. Meanwhile, thank goodness for gaffers tape!
01-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #194
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
You know Lauren, I agree with you 100%, more if that were possible. I am not sure that I know why, but sadly, I don't think that most people on this forum really care that much. I do wish Ricoh luck in reviving the brand but if the opinion on this forum is any indication I am not very hopeful. But it is certainly going to be interesting to watch. Meanwhile, thank goodness for gaffers tape!
I think the response on this forum (and thread) is part trolling.
Some folks want to get a rise out of me, sure, but some want to pretend it doesn't matter when it does. Outside of here, most people do not know Ricoh or care about Ricoh.

Pentax as a name is still a venerable commodity.

I hope Ricoh makes a camera that showcases their brain trust.
I hope they take whatever comes from their GXR/GR or whatever, and make something uniquely 'Ricoh'.
I might even buy it as I have zero problems buying something with Ricoh on it, provided it's not a Pentax.

My whole issue with the K3 is that it is a K5 Mark III.
There was no need to put Ricoh on the back of a Pentax camera.

Unless as a company, Ricoh is insecure of their own brand, their own cameras or whatever brain-fart-marketing-misstep they tried.

When I see the result of something "Ricoh" and not a squeeze of the Hoya/Pentax pipeline, is when I think Ricoh will deserve to start putting their names on certain cameras

Finally, I was watching the Tim Burton Batman last night, and low and behold, when the Joker's (Jack Nicholson) henchmen were taking pictures of Vicki Vale, the guy poked out from behind a column and there, in all it's glory was a Ricoh (Mirai) camera!!

So I wonder...was that one of the last times we saw a "Ricoh"?

Sounds like Ricoh can manage a brand worse than Pentax!

While the Joker's men used Ricoh, Vicki Vale used a Nikon.

01-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #195
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Well, the Joker was more badass.

I think if Ricoh keeps both badges then that is a good idea. They can tap into Ricoh loyalists and Pentax loyalists.

Ricoh IS a huge name. They are everywhere. But they are simply not very well known for cameras, eventhough they have been making them for a long time.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, change, company, core, corporation, dslr, folks, gxr, k-01, k-3, k-5, k3, k5, money, name, pentax, pentax k-3, photography, ricoh, shoot, team, thread, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) pentaxdude Pentax K-3 34508 6 Minutes Ago 07:33 AM
My K3 has arrived... Kingston 1000 Pentax K-3 2 11-02-2013 12:52 PM
My real name is Roderick. I have cyclothmia. Tonight, it's all a bit much. wildweasel General Talk 20 10-01-2012 09:28 PM
Looks like I'm picking up a darkroom tonight. PPPPPP42 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 7 05-30-2012 04:55 PM
Where can I get my camera fixed? cpagel Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 09-09-2011 07:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top