Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lauren I know you are half serious and half tongue-in-cheek, but I disagree with you on this point. I thnk the K3 is a new camera. New sensor; new processor; new imaging engine; new AF module; new AF sensor; new VF and diopter; new shutter; new bus; new LCD; etc - and a tiny bit of new paint below the rear LCD. About the only thing evolved rather than changed is the basic body design.

It's a K3, not a K5MkIII.

I get it, but I don't get it.
True, the K3 *is* totally different in the final form if you take all the features and think of them alone, but if you take the two cameras, and go over them side by side, you realize that the ports, covers, grip and pretty much every thing else is so close to the K5, that you realize that no one sat at a CAD/CAM terminal and made something totally new.

Ergo, the K3 *is* a K5 Mark III.

The K5II was just an interim camera, and I think it's likely we will never see another "MKII" from Pentax unless something similar happens.

Besides, being a K5 Mark III is not a bad thing.

01-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Might consider buying that so long it had the 16Mp sensor.
01-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Making something entirely new could be a disaster. All Pentax cameras more or less followed their predecessor in terms of ergonomics, there were occasional changes, but from camera to camera they weren't that big. You could say the K-3 is a *istD Mk XI (or whatever).
01-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #214
Pentaxian

True, the K3 *is* totally different in the final form if you take all the features and think of them alone, but if you take the two cameras, and go over them side by side, you realize that the ports, covers, grip and pretty much every thing else is so close to the K5, that you realize that no one sat at a CAD/CAM terminal and made something totally new.

Ergo, the K3 *is* a K5 Mark III.

The K5II was just an interim camera, and I think it's likely we will never see another "MKII" from Pentax unless something similar happens.

I was a bit surprised that they didn't call it that. It would have added another body onto a very fine lineage.

01-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #215
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Making something entirely new could be a disaster. All Pentax cameras more or less followed their predecessor in terms of ergonomics, there were occasional changes, but from camera to camera they weren't that big. You could say the K-3 is a *istD Mk XI (or whatever).
No, no, no.
The K-3 is Spotmatic Mk XLVII.
01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I was a bit surprised that they didn't call it that. It would have added another body onto a very fine lineage.
Yep. I thought so too.
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The K-3 is Spotmatic Mk XLVII.
Nah. SPs were m42. It should be K1078.

01-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Nah. SPs were m42. It should be K1078.
Too funny.

01-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I was thinking it should be called the ME Super Fantastic Wow!
01-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For the last two weeks, I have been shooting on location (with my K3 and K5 cameras), in an office/campus environment. I have been doing inside and outside shots and TONS of people have walked by. Many people stop and look, others just walk by. For the camera folks that walk by, they look at my cameras to see what I am using.

Often, because the cameras are facing away from where they can see the brand, the inquisitive can't see who makes the camera from the back (because I taped over the "Ricoh").

Since I have placed the tape over the Ricoh on the back, they either have to ask me who makes the camera, or they struck up a conversation with me, so they can get a better look at my gear, and come "on set".

The end result is "Pentax" in both cases.

So if I had not taped over the "Ricoh" lots of folks would have walked by, seen "Ricoh" and maybe went back and googled "Ricoh" instead of "Pentax".

Since Ricoh has effectively washed "Pentax" from the web, these sorts of subtle things have a tendency to dilute the name "Pentax" as a brand.

So either Ricoh is purposely diluting the Pentax name or they eventually want people to buy "Ricoh" cameras.

From a practical perspective, I am so glad that I have taped up the "Ricoh", as it has shown me tangible proof as a means to keep "Pentax" alive.
01-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Traditionally, Pentax hasn't had Mark IIs of anything. The K10 body was the same as the K20 body. K7 and K5 were exactly the same as well. The thing about the K5 II was that Ricoh/Pentax was sending us a message that they were working on something else that wasn't ready yet and that the K5 II was just a temporary place holder for APS-C flagship camera (until the K3 was ready).
01-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Traditionally, Pentax hasn't had Mark IIs of anything. The K10 body was the same as the K20 body. K7 and K5 were exactly the same as well. The thing about the K5 II was that Ricoh/Pentax was sending us a message that they were working on something else that wasn't ready yet and that the K5 II was just a temporary place holder for APS-C flagship camera (until the K3 was ready).
Exactly. Pentax did things like the "ME", "ME-F", "ME Super" and "Super Program" and the like.
The K3 should have been called "K5 Super" or something like that, as it's a K5 on steroids, and was in the "cooker".

Regardless, "Pentax" should have been on the back of the camera.

01-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #223
Banned

Exactly. Pentax did things like the "ME", "ME-F", "ME Super" and "Super Program" and the like.
The K3 should have been called "K5 Super" or something like that, as it's a K5 on steroids, and was in the "cooker".
Regardless, "Pentax" should have been on the back of the camera.

"Supers" were fad in 1970s and early 1980s, when the "Super" Multi Coated came out too.
Hardly works today. Not even Superman films can do justice.
Pentax brand has been wearing sideburns, pink shirt and bell shaped trousers all this long, and it was about a time they change the stylist.
However, its users were glued to the bell shaped trousers themselves, and can't slip into anything more comfortable.
01-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Supers" were fad in 1970s and early 1980s, when the "Super" Multi Coated came out too.
Pentax brand has been wearing sideburns, pink shirt and bell shaped trousers all this long, and it was about a time they change the stylist.
However, its users were glued to the bell shaped trousers themselves, and can't slip into anything more comfortable.
Lauren just wants it to be a Pentax. A K5 Mk III would be a Pentax. K3 is a Ricoh.

Actually, it is a Ricoh.
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But fashion always comes around again!
Now just *where* are those bell bottoms?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lauren just wants it to be a Pentax. A K5 Mk III would be a Pentax. K3 is a Ricoh.
Actually, it is a Ricoh.
I am a Pentaxian. If I am going extinct, then I should be in some kind of protected preserve where they save my DNA or something like that.

I mean, don't we try and save species that once roamed the planet freely before industrial and overbearing conglomerates destroyed habitat?