Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to add my .02 cents. I think I may have a slightly different perspective. I work in the IT field, repairing copiers mostly. Before I give you examples of what I have seen with Ricoh I will preface it with the fact that I DESPISE most of their products. What I have seen Ricoh do in my industry is acquire other large copier companies that make a good product, within 2 years pull that companies name off the product and slap Ricoh on it, add some back asswards engineering that makes the aforementioned great product now a terrible product. Most of the Ricoh products I have the displeasure of working are are very poorly engineered and require frequent service. That being said, in the printing industry Ricoh has made some large steps by introducing some new technology that surpasses what the big two are doing right now (Xerox, Canon). The other good thing that I know about Ricoh is they have money, and lots of it. I also feel that Ricoh will not pull Pentax off the camera, ever. Ricoh realizes the value of a strong name. I am sure you all know that I was VERY unhappy to see Ricoh anywhere near my Pentax cameras. That being said, if I can still put a K mount lens on it I will use it. I think good will come of this, and if anything else more R&D dollars to push more quality products our way!

06-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey - guess what? People are getting 645z's in their hands and nobody has uttered a peep about RICOH
06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #243
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hey - guess what? People are getting 645z's in their hands and nobody has uttered a peep about RICOH
Probably because Ricoh has removed Ricoh from the back LCD. Only insignia is that of Pentax and letters 645Z.
Lesson learned?
06-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #244

So what? The 645D doesn't say Pentax on the rear either.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-27-2014 at 08:13 PM.
06-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LOL... see below

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Probably because Ricoh has removed Ricoh from the back LCD. Only insignia is that of Pentax and letters 645Z.
Lesson learned?
I hope so!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So what? The 645D doesn't say Pentax on the rear either.
That's ok too, since it says Pentax up front.
06-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 645z was Laurenized©..............................
06-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The 645z was Laurenized©..............................
Too funny.

As much as some folks here poo-poo'ed me about this, it was a concern in the real world.
Quite a few reviews mentioned the Ricoh on the back, and it was met with poor reception.

Regardless (and probably truer to the fact), I'm not sure Ricoh actually cared, but it's possible someone in a meeting said "And why did we exactly *do* that?"

If Pentax had poor name recognition, then Ricoh was and is, associated with copier machines.

Who knows, really.

One thing is for sure, I have zero impact on the issue.

Now...with the 645D at around $5k, it's EXTREMELY tempting to get one.

---------- Post added 06-27-14 at 11:34 PM ----------

As a bona fide professional these days, my three K3 (and two K5 backup) cameras are on every shoot, and are seen by tons of folks. All they see on MY cameras is Pentax.

What I love is the simple acknowledgment that the camera *is* a Pentax.
I don't have to explain how it says one thing on the front, and another on the back.

People walk away knowing Pentax.
Members of my team know it's Pentax.
Members of other teams know it's Pentax.
Job openings/postings for my team are like this...

"Knowledge of dSLR photography and digital cinema photography, with an emphasis on Pentax dSLR cameras is a plus."

I will be buying more and more Pentax, and my team and the organization see what Pentax can do.

Not. One. Single. Time. Do. I. Mention. Ricoh.

Revenge of the Pentaxians.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
06-27-2014, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
but it's possible someone in a meeting said "And why did we exactly *do* that?"
Possible. Despite all the conspiracy theories about why the "Ricoh" was put on the k-3 I think the most likely explanation was that someone mocked up the body layout and stuck Ricoh on it because hey, he works at Ricoh and it just stayed on the design. No real reason. And it is quite possible they did see all the fuss on the internet and just dropped it.

Of course there is not much room on the back of the 645z anyway so maybe that's the real reason
06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Possible. Despite all the conspiracy theories about why the "Ricoh" was put on the k-3 I think the most likely explanation was that someone mocked up the body layout and stuck Ricoh on it because hey, he works at Ricoh and it just stayed on the design. No real reason. And it is quite possible they did see all the fuss on the internet and just dropped it.

Of course there is not much room on the back of the 645z anyway so maybe that's the real reason
We will never know.
All I know is that I am living the dream, thanks to the K5 and K3, and I shoot Pentax.
06-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #250

That's ok too, since it says Pentax up front.
The K3 says Pentax up front
06-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! Exactly!

I never "dated" Ricoh, and the way he's "come on to me" has been too aggressive.
When Ricoh comes up with their own moves and gets confident on their own, then I will feel they deserve my "love".

I can't wait for my first Ricoh.
I was tempted by the green Special Edition GR, but I think a K-01/GXR with a K-Mount would be an AMAZING first date!

I'm looking forward to something like that.

Lauren,

You should try the Ricoh GR, an APS-C pocketable 28mm F2.8 wonder that give wonderful photos.
06-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Lauren,

You should try the Ricoh GR, an APS-C pocketable 28mm F2.8 wonder that give wonderful photos.
I think you're right.
I think the GR is looking like it will be.
I've always carried around an Optio, and last night I took this shot with my WG-3...

I have no issue with small compact cameras, and I really have to work at it to get images like the one above.
I crave having a point-and-shoot that I have more control over.
While the Options/Optios have been getting better over the years, the video on the WG-3 is so bad (if the camera is moving) that I'm just taking my GoPro Hero3+ with me for that.

Which leaves me with the Optio (and HTC One M8) as my cameras walking around.

So I really do think the GR will be my next camera.

Maybe then, my poor attitude towards Ricoh will change.

We'll see.

06-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #253
Veteran Member

Exactly what is wrong with Ricoh.

Ricoh have a long and distinguished record in photography producing fine cameras for decades.

Furthermore Ricoh have injected huge amounts of cash into Pentax and supported the Pentax business they have invested heavily in Pentax and taken a huge gamble on retrieving their investment.

The fact that Pentax was up for sale means it was and still is a shaky business, it was always a niche business and Nikon and Canon are suffering dwindling sales as point and shoots are killed by smartphones and dSLR sales are threatened.

It took some guts to buck the trend and invest in the failing Pentax business. I know everyone wants to dream that Pentax was buoyant and Ricoh is a ripoff merchant that maliciously grabbed Pentax to get its name, but I guess many people believe in unicorns too.

The fact is without Ricoh riding into town on its white charger and saving the day Pentax would be dead as the Dodo by now and you would not have any k3 or k5 or any other camera from Pentax.

Get down on your knees and pay homage to the saviour of Pentax - Ricoh god love them and long may they prosper.

And if they want to call the k3 the "Ricoh canikon buster magic cam" I don't give two hoots.

As long as Pentax is funded by them and is allowed to develop innovative and great value equipment, I will light my candle and pray for Ricoh and its future success. I am writing the name Ricoh on my Pentax kit as we speak.

I used to work for Jaguar cars, they were bought by Ford and Ford plastered its name all over the Jaguar products on many parts in the engine bay and inside the vehicle.

Jaguar still produced good products under Ford and continue to do so today, now it has left Ford ownership and is owned by Tata Industries.

Takeovers exist in business its how you survive, business is cut throat accept change or die. The only question is, do you love Pentax for its name or its products.

Pentax exists thank god, and that's due entirely to Ricoh.
06-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #254
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Get down on your knees and pay homage to the saviour of Pentax - Ricoh
Beware the hociR!

Steve
06-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Pentax was for sale because Hoya never wanted the camera part of Pentax. They wanted the medical business etc.