Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Funny how folks want to side with a camera maker instead of users who are passionate?
I think the camera maker has sided with the passionate users by investing millions of dollars in the Pentax camera system - but that is just my opinion.

11-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why? Because it seems so *stupid*?
Yes...
11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Are those scratches on your LCD already!?
11-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Jewelry?

11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Yes...
Is it really stupid?

If the name really was stupid, then Ricoh would have left it as Pentax as the name on the back was stupid and not worth the effort to change it.

However, since Ricoh *changed* the name on the back of the camera, Ricoh does not agree with you that it is stupid. Ergo, Ricoh itself invalidates your argument that it is stupid.

So, moving past the observation of stupidity, which it clearly is not, then what is the motivation for the change?

The K3 after a few weeks with me, is clearly a K5 mark III that was halted for hardware or tweaks or whatever. That means the K3 is a Pentax under Hoya.

So, I have to think about how valid it is see Ricoh on the back, as that is a place usually reserved for the same name on the front.

In this regard, Ricoh doesn't deserve to be on the camera, as all they seem to have done was green light the final release of a camera made under Hoya.

Just because they now own Pentax, does not give them credibility.

Since Ricoh does not agree with me, I have to disagree with them.

For others who think this is stupid, fine, those folks can not concern themselves with such trivialities.

Ricoh and those of us that *do* care will work it out.
11-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
No, those are the screen protectors I make when I get a new camera.
I like how they don't look perfect.

11-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Is it really stupid?
Yes...
11-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #38

Just because they now own Pentax, does not give them credibility
Did you stop and think for minute that Ricoh may be proud of what they helped happen in the form of the K-3 ?
Maybe they just wanted their name on it somewhere that would not upset Pentax users to much but allowed some visible recognition of thier input.

11-20-2013, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I'm grabbing some popcorn. I predict this thread to have 20 pages by Friday.

On a serious note. I myself am completely brand agnostic. I'm a photographer that uses the gear that's best suited to my needs and/or my clients assignments needs. Often that happened to be Pentax. Lately that has been shifting. Happened before, happening now, will happen again. I don't care. I just make sure I keep all the good gear. But in such discussions photographic gear is often compared to a plumbers wrench or carpenters screwdriver. Showing how insane it would be for craftsmen to bicker over trivialities as brand names. But the difference between common tools and cameras is that there's lots of emotions involved with cameras. (And a lot more money.) People use them to freeze very valueable moments and to they perceive the world. They grow up with certain types or brands, make money with them, or save every penny for years to finally buy that ultimate lens. Even people that are not into photography themselves have bias and preferences towards certain brands or types of cameras: I tend to use all kinds of cameras during my shooting. And when I show customers my pictures with camera information they will typically choose different pictures then when I show them pictures without camera information.

So yes, bickering over changing brand names on the same products is a bit silly. But considering the emotions involved, I think calling people "stupid" because they adhere to those emotions is unfair too. And if Ricoh really was smart, they would have been a bit more sensitive about it as well.

To give it some perspective: Imagine the exact same thing happening to Leica! Those fans would have been calling for blood!
11-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #40
bxf
Site Supporter

Firstly, I view the action as unnecessarily hostile. Regardless of how much/little credit you want to give Ricoh at this stage, Ricoh hasn't done anything that deserves our hostility. Then, it is acceptable for a company to put its name on its products. In this particular case, I view the Ricoh label as an indication that the company is proud of this product.
11-20-2013, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it take better pictures now?
11-20-2013, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

To be clear, I never used the word "stupid"; I simply agreed with the OP's suggestion. Twice. Nitpicking, sure, but the word I used was "insane."

This reminds me a little of people who are against e-readers because they claim to love books. To me, a book is what is on the pages, not the pages themselves. I always say those people don't love books, they love paper.
11-20-2013, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you ever really come visit Lauren, as soon as your back's turned, I'm peeling that off.

I took my avatar picture, just so I could display the Ricoh

Last edited by normhead; 11-20-2013 at 08:34 AM.
11-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Teal Quote
Have you considered putting in Canon or Nikon on the label? Then trick your mates that there was a partnership between the two companies.

I'd leave it as Ricoh. Even better if your name is Rico!!!
Ricoh is owned by the same conglomerate as Canon...

Steve
11-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Drat - I was hoping yours would have puppies & I could get one cheaper then the grown-up ones..

Steve