That is so weird.

11-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ha, ha

Quite correct, brand loyalty is in many ways irrational and does not always follow a truly logical path

Hmm, I thought the purchase was final October 1, 2011? So two years to ramp up, rebuild, upgrade facilities.

I don't think that is possible. But Asahi Man has stated that the k-3 was present at PhotoKina last year but Ricoh pulled the plug on it as they were not happy with it. So (for me) if the only contribution Ricoh has made is to make sure what goes out the door is 'right' before it does, then I'm happy.

I see this as a merger of Ricoh manufacturing technology and Pentax camera engineering. Ricoh does not have to bring any camera tech to the table, indeed if they had their own DSLR technology why would they buy Pentax? What they do need to bring is manufacturing ability, capital and worldwide market presence.

Personally I am delighted to NOT see a whole lot of Ricoh in this camera. We all loved the k-5 ergonomics, menus, etc, etc. They could have changed the whole camera menu, revised the ergonomics or a number of other things to put their 'stamp' on it, but they didn't. They kept the best parts, added some new things, and improved the areas people were complaining about. What's not to like?

I'm OK with the Ricoh on the back, but I have a prior relationship with Ricoh on the copier side. Which has been very good. I would strongly recommend them for the quality of the machines and the service they provide. So I have a "brand loyalty" to Ricoh already. I'm OK with you not liking it on the back. And I am very happy you got it 'fixed'. But I take the Ricoh on the back a little differently. I think they are just saying they helped produce an excellent camera, are proud of it and don't mind having their name on it.

If anyone doesn't like seeing Ricoh on the back then they can just Laurenize™ it
Awesome! Exactly!

I never "dated" Ricoh, and the way he's "come on to me" has been too aggressive.
When Ricoh comes up with their own moves and gets confident on their own, then I will feel they deserve my "love".

I can't wait for my first Ricoh.
I was tempted by the green Special Edition GR, but I think a K-01/GXR with a K-Mount would be an AMAZING first date!

I'm looking forward to something like that.

11-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Having worked with models ( the plastic kind), I can tell you that removing the Ricoh Logo and replacing it with a Pentax Transfer decal would be rather simple. :P
11-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Having worked with models ( the plastic kind), I can tell you that removing the Ricoh Logo and replacing it with a Pentax Transfer decal would be rather simple. :P
Nice! I wish I knew of the black arts you speak of sir!

11-20-2013, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nice! I wish I knew of the black arts you speak of sir!
I imagine that a pot of plastic filler, some fine emery and a paintbrush or airbrush has something to do with it.
11-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Having worked with models ( the plastic kind)
There's another kind?
11-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Tried your brand-name coverup, but it seems that Ricoh is using a new imprinting system that uses positive ions to always bring back the maker's mark to the surface of the masking attempt.

Not much we can do. Quality always rises to the top!

Attached Images

11-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #98

The funny thing is when I bought my first DSLR I was looking at one I could you use with my older lens. And you know what? That camera+lens was from Ricoh! Ricoh made me come to Pentax and now they come back.
11-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #99
Veteran Member

^ Good point. My Ricoh lenses would feel at home in front of a K-3 .
11-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
The funny thing is when I bought my first DSLR I was looking at one I could you use with my older lens. And you know what? That camera+lens was from Ricoh! Ricoh made me come to Pentax and now they come back.
They valued you so much as a customer, they bought a whole company just to get you back.
11-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They valued you so much as a customer, they bought a whole company just to get you back.
What a brilliant line to use in their ads...
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
There's another kind?
Some models are fairly wooden. Or made of ice.
11-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Maybe I'll make a sticker to put RICOH on the back of my K-30!

@Thoog -- really, really liked your 'Sam-I-Am' poem. Fun!

Last edited by jon404; 11-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
11-21-2013, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Hi Lauren, good idea, I've done the same, now. And I threw the box away. Carl
11-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked the back of my Lanier copier/printer. I found Ricoh printed there along with the model and serial numbers.
How dare a manufacturer put their name on one of their products? It's a disgrace I tell you.
I'm buying a can of spray paint at lunchtime and I will 'fix' my copier before the day is out.