Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I fixed my K3 tonight

Sorry folks if it seems a bit immature, but I am tired of the dissonance and being reminded who my/our new master is.

I tried for a few weeks, to get used to it, but I can't.

I used a sticker in case I ever want to undo it.

I am going to try and print Pentax on the little stickers, but for now, black is good enough.

I know, I know. I should be more "grown up" but I am a die hard Pentaxian.

11-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why the sticker? Just paint the RICOH over for good
11-19-2013, 08:20 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL, you know I just realized I never even notice it. I had to pick mine up and look to see what you covered up. Can't see it with my eye to the viewfinder
11-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

I thought i would hate the ricoh logo as well but i like it and wear it proud so if they are here to stay and develop our future DSLRs i have no problem with that at all. I do hope pentax name is there to stay as well as brand name for DSLR line but as long as i got new body with great new features every year or two for my lenses i'm happy to keep ricoh name in the open

11-19-2013, 08:36 PM - 7 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop, stop, Sam-I-am!
I do not like your Ricoh brand.

I do not like it on the box.
I do not like it with a fox.
I do not like it on the back.
I do not like it - paint it black!

(For those who didn't grow up with Dr. Seuss, Google "Green Eggs and Ham")
11-19-2013, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Why the sticker? Just paint the RICOH over for good
Lauren could (actually still can) have made it a real unique collectors item. Actually, you could offer official Lauren Pentax stickers, to everyone so they to can retroize their new K3's.

You know that this thread and your picture is going to make it back to Toyko - to the person who made the decision, with the caption - "Motorcycle lady does not like Ricoh label" (オートバイの女性はリコーラベルを好きではない).

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.
11-19-2013, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Have you considered putting in Canon or Nikon on the label? Then trick your mates that there was a partnership between the two companies.

I'd leave it as Ricoh. Even better if your name is Rico!!!

11-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Probably longer term I will be ok with Ricoh, but after a few weeks, the K3 *is* a Pentax.
Holding it in my hands, and using it, it's clear that it's not a Ricoh in any shape or form.

What the K3 is, is the K5 mark III.

The K3 is an updated K5 and I LOVE my K5 cameras.

It's not a Ricoh but a Pentax.
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Drat - I was hoping yours would have puppies & I could get one cheaper then the grown-up ones..
11-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
I thought i would hate the ricoh logo as well but i like it and wear it proud so if they are here to stay and develop our future DSLRs i have no problem with that at all. I do hope pentax name is there to stay as well as brand name for DSLR line but as long as i got new body with great new features every year or two for my lenses i'm happy to keep ricoh name in the open
My feelings exactly.
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Lauren could (actually still can) have made it a real unique collectors item. Actually, you could offer official Lauren Pentax stickers, to everyone so they to can retroize their new K3's.

You know that this thread and your picture is going to make it back to Toyko - to the person who made the decision, with the caption - "Motorcycle lady does not like Ricoh label" (オートバイの女性はリコーラベルを好きではない).

That is too funny!!!

I certainly don't think anyone at Ricoh (and even here) think highly enough of me for anything I say to make it out of our little Pentax sandbox here!

In some ways, I'm not even making a statement other than I don't like people taking credit for things that I don't think they deserve.

You can't buy respect in my book, and just because a company owns something, it's very ego driven to slather your name over it.
Kind of like "marking your territory".

There is no reason to see Ricoh on a Pentax camera other than on the required UL/government required plate on the bottom of the camera.

The K3 is a Pentax, through and through and it's clear to me after having it a few weeks.
When I saw that production models of the K3 would come with Ricoh, I said I'd give them a chance, and see what parts of Ricoh made it into the camera.

There really isn't much "Ricoh" in the K3, so it comes down to respect.
The K3 is an updated K5, with a dash of the K30 thrown in for good measure.

That being said, I look forward to what Ricoh does on their own, with their own brain trust.

Again, I am 100% aware how immature I am over this, but I can't explain it.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 11-19-2013 at 10:08 PM.
11-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so sure this is a pure Pentax, Lauren. A lot of the firmware seems to have Ricoh heritage. You may be a victim of wistful thinking

Jack
11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh money -> k3 development. Ricoh money -> Pentax. Ricoh has right to have his logo everywhere. Anyway if they replace front PENTAX logo, I go for Nikon. :-p

11-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had forgotten that the Ricoh name was even on the camera.
11-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #15

Ah, Ricoh it's still there, no matter what you do. Red rings on the lenses, no more SMC, Ricoh in the back, for me, the king is dead and there is no more Pentax.

I was looking forward K3 and I was 99% sure that I will buy it first day when it comes on local shelves.

After I saw the packaging and the back, after that I am 100% that I do not want it. On the contrary, I started selling all my equipment, I'll just keep K7, 2 LX (and some more film bodys), K24mm, one 35mm (do not know yet which), A50 f1.2 (maybe two, they are my favourite lenses) for 77Ltd I do not know yet, one of 100 macro, A300 f4 and K500 f4.5 and some small equipment. Between me and Ricoh there simply no passion.

After that I am going to change the system, so RIP Pentax, it was honor and pleasure to ride with you, goodbye and good luck to you Ricoh and hello Can/Nik.