Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Thankfully Lauren can fix her irritation with a bit of tape. My irritation is the silly placement of the AF mode button. I just cannot find it without taking the camera away from my eye and looking, not even after practicing. Wish I could apply tape to move it............
It seems that depends a lot on the individual. In my case I find that the AF button is finally in exactly the right place where I need it to be.

As oposed to my previous two SLRs (K-3 & K-30) I can now hold the K-3 to my eye easily with one hand and with my thumb I can very easily reach the rear thumb wheel, the AF button and the AE-L button with just a small movement of the tip of my thumb. Since I got the K-3 I almost exclusively use the AF button to focus and disable the half press focus. I never found that practical with the previous two cameras.

The only thing I would fix would be to reduce a little the 'hump' just below the AE-L button, but leaving it as it is further down. This would make both the AE and AF buttons more comfortably accessible. I don't think it can be fixed with tape. Perhaps with a file?

12-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think both Lauren and Homer are joking - but your issue is a real useability impediment. After using my K-01 for 18 months I'm having a very hard time re-adjusting to my K10D which I got out for the K10D Club thread. It does take away some fo the fun - and for a pro it must reduce the utility noticably.
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Perhaps with a file?
Dremel would be quicker
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Thankfully Lauren can fix her irritation with a bit of tape. My irritation is the silly placement of the AF mode button. I just cannot find it without taking the camera away from my eye and looking, not even after practicing. Wish I could apply tape to move it............
I use the concave area around the button as a tactile guide. I think that's why it is there.

12-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, if the shooter is happier then maybe they will
Yep. I have been asked to shoot a 10-15 episode video series, so there might be ANOTHER K3 coming in the near future! I am THRILLED at the tools that Pentax brings to the table!

I shoot in California in January!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I think I may print a RICOH sticker and put over the Ugly PENTAX on the front of my K-3.

I mean REALLY.
LOL. Awesome!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's entirely possible. Never discount the placebo effect of anything.
It won't work. The grip only fits the Ricoh-Pentax K-3.
Yep. Never discount what a little sugar can do....or a spoon full making the medicine go down!

Meant as a joke I'm sure, but there is a bit of truth there. If the craftswoman is happy with her tools the results will show it. I really don't even notice the Ricoh label or even care but I do think that anything that disturbs the creative process will cause the result to be less than it could have been. So if Lauren takes better pictures with a bit of tape on the back of her camera, good for her. I know craftsmen who tape up their hammers to make the grip fit better, this is just the same I think. The tool should be an extension of yourself, whether it be hammer or camera and anything that prevents that needs to be changed.

Definitely. It's a little irritation for sure, as I LOVE everything from Pentax!
Sorry about the AF button. I too am not exactly happy with that - and some other little niggles, but the K3 is a stellar camera....err...the K5 Mar -KIII

12-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow!!!

Someone used my camera before I got it!!!

The nerve of them to take a single picture!!!
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Further proof they are evil?

12-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Further proof they are evil?
LOL. I am happy that my click was # 2!

12-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I use the concave area around the button as a tactile guide. I think that's why it is there.
I know, and I've tried but I just cannot feel it. Maybe I have too much callus on my thumb or something. It's right there, I just cannot find it. I might try gluing something onto the button to make stick out more.
12-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. I have been asked to shoot a 10-15 episode video series, so there might be ANOTHER K3 coming in the near future! I am THRILLED at the tools that Pentax brings to the table! I shoot in California in January!!!
Congratulations on the gig, Lauren - was this what you were alluding to a few weeks ago?
Welcome to Cali - whereabouts will you be working?
12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #131

Does this mean I can put Ricoh pin mount lenses on it? When they get stuck will Ricoh service it for free?
12-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #132

I think you need to open these cameras up. The prototypes may have said "Pentax" on the chips and other components but the sneaky bastids may have relabeled them "Ricoh" for the production models.
12-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow!!!

Someone used my camera before I got it!!!

The nerve of them to take a single picture!!!
Quality control has doubled!
12-07-2013, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Congratulations on the gig, Lauren - was this what you were alluding to a few weeks ago?
Welcome to Cali - whereabouts will you be working?
Yes - in part.

In the San Francisco Bay area.

It seems that I am now a full time professional media/creative/photographer/cinematographer.

I've been wondering if I should make a post about how Pentax changed my life, or just keep it to myself.

Lots of people like to hate and are less fortunate than I am, so I don't like to make a target of myself in real life.

Without the work I have done with the K5 in the last 3 years, I would not have all these amazing successes.

With the K5, I came back into displaying my photographs publicly, selling my work again, and taking my passion to the next level.

So in short, I am working at my company (a technical software GIANT) as a creative type who is tasked with making content centered around my technical expertise and the work I have done with my K5 (and now the K3).

They took my resume, and created a job for me. Literally.

Because of who I am working for now, I will probably have to "tone down" a bit here on Pentax forums.
If Pentax knew who was seeing their cameras as I walked around doing my "thing", they would *totally* suck up to me, and I would never want to sell out my "Pentaxian curmudgeoness".
I NEVER want to be given a camera.
I want to buy what I think is best, and have that freedom to say and do as I please.

I owe my dream-job to the Pentax K5, and is why I am a hardcore Pentaxian.
I will probably be scaling up my operations after the 10-15 part video series, and if they let me, I will be buying Pentax gear to make it happen.

If Ricoh knew, they would FREAK at the opportunity!!!!!

I love how Ricoh ignores passionate folks like me who love Pentax and the brand, and I can't wait until someone in the future realizes and connects the dots that it is *me* who is promoting the brand in places they could only DREAM about being - as I live out my dream!

It serves them right for banning me from speaking my mind on their Facebook page.

12-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Yes - in part.

In the San Francisco Bay area.

It seems that I am now a full time professional media/creative/photographer/cinematographer.

Congratulations Lauren, thats great to hear!!!

I'm retired and only since 2007 have i been taking pictures. But i've achieved way more than i thought i would as an amateur. I think in some odd way, Pentax cameras have contributed to that. I've been given full access to a playhouse to go into and take rehearsal pictures anytime i want to. Have also suggested and been approved to decorate the office with props ad photos. Also have access to two shops in different towns to hang whatever pictures i want to for sale.

Would things have been different for me if i'd gone with Canikon? Don't know but thought about it. Pentax not have having a FF, yet, in an odd way has caused Pentax to put all the functionality they can into their APS cameras.

Now buying my second printer and having a ball with Photoshop. Would like to buy a K3, but the printer company took my money first :-)