Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 hardware questions

Ok, I suspect this is all somewhere in other posts but I haven't found it yet.

Is the body of the K3 close enough to the K5 that I can use my RRS (Arca) quick release plate with anti-twist lip, and L-bracket? Or will I need a new (expensive) one?

Batteries - I have several extra. Are K3 batteries the same?

Grip. I see references to a new grip. Does that mean the grip I used for the K7 and K5 won't fit the K3?

Are there features or controls on the K3 that have changed significantly from the K5? Do you like the new or old ones better?

I haven't quite decided to pull the trigger yet but am getting closer.

11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Is the body of the K3 close enough to the K5 that I can use my RRS (Arca) quick release plate with anti-twist lip, and L-bracket? Or will I need a new (expensive) one?
You can continue using your old ones.

Batteries - I have several extra. Are K3 batteries the same?
Yes. Have you read our K-3 review?

Grip. I see references to a new grip. Does that mean the grip I used for the K7 and K5 won't fit the K3?
Correct, but only because they redesigned the connector. Some people have modified their D-BG4 to fit the K-3, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Are there features or controls on the K3 that have changed significantly from the K5? Do you like the new or old ones better?
Many changes have been made, I suggest reading this page:
Pentax K-3 Review - Construction and Handling - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-3 Review - User Interface - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam.
01-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a completely different question.

I have a K100DS and a Rubinar 1000 mirror. The flash housing just clears the back end of the Rubinar.

Does the flash housing on the K3 protrude more or less far from the plane of the mount than the K100DS flash housing?

Also, can anyone describe the difference in perceived brightness of the view finder in the K3 to the K100DS or the K5 (which I have only used once). This matters to me because of using manual focus most of the time and finding the K100DS being rather difficult.

02-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick note for those of you interested in an L-bracket for the K3. I have tried my RRS K5 l-bracket on a K3 and while it appears at first look to fit perfectly, in fact it does not. The bracket does not seat flush against the bottom of the body because of a small raised area in the right front corner. The bracket would likely be ok as long as one doesn't tighten it down too much (or a spacer was added) and not used with too heavy a lens. This is unfortunate as I consider an l-bracket essential especially with such a high resolution sensor.

If anyone else finds a model of l-bracket that fits nicely (ie close to the dimension of the K3) please post. Too bad Ricoh doesn't consider selling more accessories like this for their cameras.