11-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PC Mag review

I think PC Mag like the K3
Pentax K-3 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

11-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It looks good, taking over from the 7100.
11-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

yep I think this will be just the begging for the K-3 I feel it will be in line to win various awards and accolades and it seems like it is starting already
11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Chicomalo Quote
yep I think this will be just the begging for the K-3 I feel it will be in line to win various awards and accolades and it seems like it is starting already
Awards & praise are one thing, sales are another. This thing needs to get in the hands of more converts in order for it to be a real success IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep, it looks like they like it.
11-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PC Mag used to do computers...next thing from them will be "Plumber Bob shows how to cook a sirloin, medium rare..."
12-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PC Mag doesn't give high marks lightly. 4.5/5 and an Editor's Choice award is something Pentax/Ricoh should be proud of.

--DragonLord

12-04-2013, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Awards & praise are one thing, sales are another. This thing needs to get in the hands of more converts in order for it to be a real success IMO.
Yes, but it looks like Ricoh is building the brand back and that will take time, so a lot of awards and praises will help
12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

People are well aware of product lifecycle pricing and I think most will be waiting for the K-3 to fall to that level before buying. I would think by around March Pentax will reduce the K-3 price to the 'normal' post-launch price.

By the time the price falls, all the reviews will be in, most of the major firmware updates will have been issued as well as third party updates such as software (LR support etc).

I wouldn't expect sales to peak yet.
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
People are well aware of product lifecycle pricing and I think most will be waiting for the K-3 to fall to that level before buying. I would think by around March Pentax will reduce the K-3 price to the 'normal' post-launch price.

By the time the price falls, all the reviews will be in, most of the major firmware updates will have been issued as well as third party updates such as software (LR support etc).

I wouldn't expect sales to peak yet.
Or, like the GR, the MAP price might stick around for good

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Or, like the GR, the MAP price might stick around for good
Probably struggle a bit then, especially when Sony reduce the price of the already superb value you know what.

K-3 needs to fall to around the post-launch D7100 price, for the UK this means around £800-£850 body only, if it's going to compete. One of my MD's has a K-5 and although that firm employs 60 professionals across three countries even he's in two minds about spending that kind of money on a K-3.

People simply don't have the disposable income anymore and are getting pretty seriously choosy when it comes to these non-essential big ticket items. Pentax still have to compete on price as well as performance.
12-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably struggle a bit then, especially when Sony reduce the price of the already superb value you know what.

K-3 needs to fall to around the post-launch D7100 price, for the UK this means around £800-£850 body only, if it's going to compete. One of my MD's has a K-5 and although that firm employs 60 professionals across three countries even he's in two minds about spending that kind of money on a K-3.

People simply don't have the disposable income anymore and are getting pretty seriously choosy when it comes to these non-essential big ticket items. Pentax still have to compete on price as well as performance.
I'd say that $1299 is still pretty good value alongside the K-5 IIs's $1199 last fall, but you're right, it needs to go lower in order to compete. And Pentax's high lens prices (which are about on par with the competition now) aren't helping their cause as a value brand.

Adam

12-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd say that $1299 is still pretty good value alongside the K-5 IIs's $1199 last fall, but you're right, it needs to go lower in order to compete. And Pentax's high lens prices (which are about on par with the competition now) aren't helping their cause as a value brand.
Sorry Adam, what's priced in Dollars in the US is priced in Pounds on Treasure Island (UK's price gouged for pretty much everything other than semi-skimmed milk).

I honestly think that for Pentax to draw people away from the competition they need to make a camera like the A7/r. Something you can bung any lens on and therefore aren't tied into a particular mount. That way folks don't feel they're really taking a risk on such a move and may well then take a greater interest in Pentax glass and other bits 'n pieces.

I have no idea why PK lenses are priced like they are now, glad I bought the Limited's last year. I've dumped some £7k on Pentax gear in the past 30 months, even given a K-5 away to get a friend started in photog'ing!

I'd never ever have considered using a PlayStation camera in the past . . . but now . . . .
12-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I honestly think that for Pentax to draw people away from the competition they need to make a camera like the A7/r. Something you can bung any lens on and therefore aren't tied into a particular mount. That way folks don't feel they're really taking a risk on such a move and may well then take a greater interest in Pentax glass and other bits 'n pieces.
Well, now that Pentax has an APS-C DSLR that's best-in-class in so many ways, I'd expect them to finally start working on something with a bigger long-term appeal. Unless of course they plan to just stay in the consumer/APS-C market. Who knows!

Adam

12-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, now that Pentax has an APS-C DSLR that's best-in-class in so many ways, I'd expect them to finally start working on something with a bigger long-term appeal. Unless of course they plan to just stay in the consumer/APS-C market. Who knows!
We all know they can do it better than the rest and more power to Pentax if they do.