Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I'm blown away by the DA•300 on the k3. A faster focus mechanism for close in shots would be nice, but otherwise it is a new lens compared to the k5. I could never get an accurate focus past a certain distance. Close in on the k5 it was stunning if I could get focus.

It is too dark in the winter here for the 150-500mm, and except for exceptionally bright days it is put away until next summer. I got good to excellent results on the k5 this summer, stopped down to f8. It focused far better on the k5 than the 300. I tried it a week ago on the k3, but was unable to get into conditions where it shines.

Reading peoples experiences here and my own, I feel that I was the shooter that pentax was aiming for with this body. Long lens focus and iq. Fast frame rate. I've ran into the odd glitch but never in the functions that I use every day. It makes sense, the prime market segment for an aps-c dslr is the wildlife shooter. I suspect they will be offering me lots of things to spend my money on.

11-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I have the 150-500 OS model but use camera SR - I will need to try lens OS to see if that helps.
I got the impression camera SR was just as good.
I was asking because I understand that the optics of the long end of the 50-500 were improved with the OS model. Suggests the DA300 would be even more impressive compared to the earlier model. At the long focal lengths, I understand the optical in-lens stabilisation is superior to in-body stabilisation, so if you are handholding, there may be some gain switching to the OS.

Update:- sorry forget the first part of this post. I've just reread the thread and realised you were discussing the 150-500. I need to go to bed!
11-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The in lens OS helps with focus.