Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GSWayne Quote
It looks like the same card, but they do change the models frequently so you can never be sure if they have made some subtle change. The last digits of the part number on the one the testing site links to on Amazon is X46 and the one you are getting is C46, but maybe they have slightly different model numbers depending on what country they sell them?? It probably doesn't matter, in general they keep making them faster so if they are selling a slightly newer version it should still work fine.

I had a SanDisk card fail after a few months (not the model you are buying) and SanDisk is sending me a faster replacement because they quit making the slower unit.
Thanks!
I think I will give it a go. They will likely replace if something goes wrong.
What I am concerned about is the type of card to fit the K3 perfectly.

02-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Redundant Banker Quote
Amazon in the UK have a SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC Memory Card up to 280MB/s. Is there any benefit to 280MB/S over the cheaper 95MB/S?
I have been using 2 of the Transcend 600x cards in each of my K-3s for the last 18 months without any problems, bought from Amazon.
Transcend 32GB Ultimate SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 600x [Frustration-Free Packaging]: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I have been using Transcend SD cards for years without problems, so see no reason to change. I have 4 each of the 4Gb slower versions used in my 2 GX-10 (K10D) cameras for 6+ years.

Make sure to format the cards in the camera before using.
02-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #33

In a K-3, I would only go for the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I for the ability to read it faster in a good card reader, otherwise it offers little advantage in camera over the much cheaper Sandisk Extreme UHS-I (45MBs or more for the later ones).
What I use in my K-3 is an Extreme Pro in slot 1 where I write RAW images to and a Sandisk Extreme in slot2 where JPG and Video get written. Most of the time The slower card ends up 1/3rd the space used when slot 1 is full, so it doesn't take long to copy.

John.
02-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
In a K-3, I would only go for the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I for the ability to read it faster in a good card reader, otherwise it offers little advantage in camera over the much cheaper Sandisk Extreme UHS-I (45MBs or more for the later ones).
What I use in my K-3 is an Extreme Pro in slot 1 where I write RAW images to and a Sandisk Extreme in slot2 where JPG and Video get written. Most of the time The slower card ends up 1/3rd the space used when slot 1 is full, so it doesn't take long to copy.

John.
PC Canada: SDSDXPA-064G-C46 - Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 Gb Secure Digital High Capacity (sdhc) - Class 10/uhs-i - 95 Mbps Read - 90 Mbps Write - 1 Card - PC-Canada.com
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NDL54C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&c...7MR45RR4UXEBOP

Edit: this last link has something wrong. When I first copied it here, that same site was showing the same card for $44.95" !!!!
That was just a few minutes ago. ... ? So I went back and now it shows it for $69.95 .... it changes every time I go there.
Not a big deal ... I'll eventually hit the right one !

They "seem" to be the same but one has a "1" inside the "U" while the other has a "3" in that "U" ... does it make a difference?
I haven't ordered one yet but as I was (again) ready to do that, I thought of rechecking here first.

BTW, I've just received my K3 ... batteries on charge right now.

Also: The faster card should go in slot 1 ?
Is it OK to use a slower card in slot 2, such as a Sandisk Extreme (45MBs)
One more question: is it absolutely necessary to have the same storage space for both cards in slot 1 and 2 ?
For the moment, I will be using only one SD card: an Extreme 45MBs until I receive the other (which isn't even ordered yet).

Thanks for any info!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-11-2016 at 07:03 PM.
02-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Also: The faster card should go in slot 1 ?
Is it OK to use a slower card in slot 2, such as a Sandisk Extreme (45MBs)
One more question: is it absolutely necessary to have the same storage space for both cards in slot 1 and 2 ?
That's what I do.. Faster card in slot 1. And no, the cards don't need to have the same capacity.

I Have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95-write) in slot 1 - and slot 2, set for overfill, is a 128GB Transcend (60-write).

The idea is to get the faster card at a capacity that incorporates how much you might normally shoot, including any burst shooting.. And the slower card as overfill.

Myself - I'll probably never even come close to filling the 32GB card (which actually came from my K-30 - which now has a 32GB, 45-write Sandisk). But it's really comforting to know I have 4 times as much in reserve... Nice seeing those high numbers - for RAW(DNG): 598 for card 1, and 2412 for slot 2.

Last edited by Hoggy; 02-12-2016 at 08:45 AM.
02-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply, Hoggy !
02-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
That's what I do.. Faster card in slot 1. And no, the cards don't need to have the same capacity.

I Have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95-write) in slot 1 - and slot 2, set for overfill, is a 128GB Transcend (60-write).

The idea is to get the faster card at a capacity that incorporates how much you might normally shoot, including any burst shooting.. And the slower card as overfill.

Myself - I'll probably never even come close to filling the 32GB card (which actually came from my K-30 - which now has a 32GB, 45-write Sandisk). But it's really comforting to know I have 4 times as much in reserve... Nice seeing those high numbers - for RAW(DNG): 598 for card 1, and 2412 for slot 2.
Update .... just received my two Sandisk cards:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB (95MB/s 633X)
SDHC UHS-I

but it also has the "3" inside the "U" ??

Is this OK ?

02-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Update .... just received my two Sandisk cards:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB (95MB/s 633X)
SDHC UHS-I

but it also has the "3" inside the "U" ??

Is this OK ?
Yup, those are fine.

I think the U3 indicates it can work similar to a CD-rom drive for older computers, if I'm not mistaken.. I just disregard it, though.
02-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 3 inside the U means it is a faster card. Sony 4k cameras (and probably others) need that speed to record 4k at higher frame rates. It will probably make no difference on our current Pentax camaras.
02-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
Yup, those are fine.

I think the U3 indicates it can work similar to a CD-rom drive for older computers, if I'm not mistaken.. I just disregard it, though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The 3 inside the U means it is a faster card. Sony 4k cameras (and probably others) need that speed to record 4k at higher frame rates. It will probably make no difference on our current Pentax camaras.
Thanks for the replies !
They're still in the unopened packages ... better try them in that K3 soon.
Mind you, weather has been the *!*@¤ lately ... not good for "testing".