Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Hello everyone,

I was just checking DPReview to see what are they up to and saw that they put up a "review" of the Nikon D610, while last week they put up a Fujifilm XE-2 review. Perfectly normal until here, but if you check the comment sections, most of them are filled with users asking for the Pentax K3 review, either nicely or not so nicely. So, if you want to have a good laugh, take a look at the comments from each article. I know this is not exactly related to a Pentax K3 review but I wanted to share it with you, just for the laughs.

03-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ioszhka Quote
Hello everyone,

I was just checking DPReview to see what are they up to and saw that they put up a "review" of the Nikon D610, while last week they put up a Fujifilm XE-2 review. Perfectly normal until here, but if you check the comment sections, most of them are filled with users asking for the Pentax K3 review, either nicely or not so nicely. So, if you want to have a good laugh, take a look at the comments from each article. I know this is not exactly related to a Pentax K3 review but I wanted to share it with you, just for the laughs.
One of my favorites is by "MiraShootsNikon" (not sure what kind of camera she uses...)
"Count me among the (hopefully many) readers who find it absurd to see this review appear before one for the Pentax K3."
Really, it would all be much funnier if I didn't have one of the first K-3's in North America, and if I didn't write for DPReview. Unfortunately, I'm not on the editorial staff in Seattle, so I can only sit and wait along with everyone else. There comes a point, though, when it doesn't matter how late something is... it's always going to be "too late to make a difference." At that point, it just gets pushed even further down the list of priorities so other things aren't "as late as that one job."
03-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With all the gnashing of teeth over DPR's tardy response to the K-3, all the pokes and prompts and anguish and just plain hassle that is being caused, I'm wondering if they can still be in a position to actually view the K-3 objectively. It would be human nature to nit pick every little thing so they can conclude "see I told ya!, the pentax is not as good as people made out, it wasnt worthy of our time and trouble, we were right to prioritise incremental upgrades from CN all along"

After all, it cant be that good a camera with that name plate on the front, can it? /endsarc
03-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #79
Forum Member

The K3 is not the only camera that had the "first impressions" published last year and are yet to have the final review published..

Here are the ones I could find from 2013 that are still outstanding:
Olympus Stylus 1
Fuji Film XQ1
Sony Cybershot RX10
Canon PS G16
Nikon AW 1

There a plenty of reviews and information out and about.. So im not sure why there is so much concern with DPR being slow to publish their findings.

03-13-2014, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
There a plenty of reviews and information out and about.. So im not sure why there is so much concern with DPR being slow to publish their findings.
Hello atomix,
First, I don't think the fact DPR hasn't kept up with every 1" sensor, fixed zoom P+S released in the past 4 months, proves that they're too busy to review a flagship DSLR, do you?
I could make another list, just as long, of other-brand ICL DSLR's released in the same time frame, that HAVE been fully reviewed.
No, they're not too busy, Simon and DPR are a snit because of the sheer volume and intensity of threads (which soon are closed) and posts (many edited or deleted) raging against this very omission. If you follow along there, don't be surprised to see users of virtually every brand chiming in. How often do you think that happens?
They are red-faced and embarrassed because the K-3 won their little poll handily and exposed their anti-Pentax bias for all to see. Only the DPR Kool Aid-drinkers are still making excuses like 'They're waiting for the flucard', 'It's so advanced, it takes longer', 'There are plenty of other reviews anyway, who cares?' etc.
When the largest digital camera online forum in the world snubs and slams a certain brand relentlessly for several years, eventually people notice.
This is a long, sordid story and we're watching the latest, and possibly the most egregious chapter.
Before long, advertisers like B+H and Adorama will realize that even the tiny Pentax community has weight and clout. If every dedicated Pentaxian wrote to them about this problem, they would listen and pretty soon, DPR would hear about it from someone they can't ignore.
In the meantime, they have their world and are welcome to it.
We have Pentax Forum.
Ron
03-13-2014, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello atomix,
First, I don't think the fact DPR hasn't kept up with every 1" sensor, fixed zoom P+S released in the past 4 months, proves that they're too busy to review a flagship DSLR, do you?
I could make another list, just as long, of other-brand ICL DSLR's released in the same time frame, that HAVE been fully reviewed.
No, they're not too busy, Simon and DPR are a snit because of the sheer volume and intensity of threads (which soon are closed) and posts (many edited or deleted) raging against this very omission. If you follow along there, don't be surprised to see users of virtually every brand chiming in. How often do you think that happens?
They are red-faced and embarrassed because the K-3 won their little poll handily and exposed their anti-Pentax bias for all to see. Only the DPR Kool Aid-drinkers are still making excuses like 'They're waiting for the flucard', 'It's so advanced, it takes longer', 'There are plenty of other reviews anyway, who cares?' etc.
When the largest digital camera online forum in the world snubs and slams a certain brand relentlessly for several years, eventually people notice.
This is a long, sordid story and we're watching the latest, and possibly the most egregious chapter.
Before long, advertisers like B+H and Adorama will realize that even the tiny Pentax community has weight and clout. If every dedicated Pentaxian wrote to them about this problem, they would listen and pretty soon, DPR would hear about it from someone they can't ignore.
In the meantime, they have their world and are welcome to it.
We have Pentax Forum.
Ron
Ron,

Thanks for enlightening me.. As you can gather im pretty new to photography and a new Pentax user so im not up with all the politics/bias. Good to know...
03-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
Ron,

Thanks for enlightening me.. As you can gather im pretty new to photography and a new Pentax user so im not up with all the politics/bias. Good to know...
Yes, and Sony users have Welcome to dyxum - Home of the alpha system photographer and Sony Digital Camera Forums - Homepage to complain that dpreview is biased against them due to politics and a preference for those "who line their pockets with ad revenue." I'm sure if I look hard enough, I'll find Nikon and Canon users who complain that dpreview is biased toward Olympus, Fuji and mirrorless! Make of it what you will...

EDIT: oh yeah, and I'm biased toward dpreview because I shoot Pentax and I write for them (my last article was a review of a Pentax accessory). Really, check my post count here since 2007! You can tell I hate this place and all the whining, tin-foil-hat-wearing, tiny-marketsharing... Pentaxians! (eewwww)

Last edited by panoguy; 03-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.
03-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #83
Pentaxian

I guess DPReview is a big deal for some.... I found out what I wanted to know from Pop-photogrpahy... before I pre-ordered. Faster focus than Nikon 7100.. that's all I needed to hear. Looking at DPReview today, I realized, I never look at them. Imaging Resource tends to be my preferred source, and while their testing isn't complete the 2700 lw/ph, comparable to the d610, and 500 lw/ph more than the K-5 was good enough for me. I mean how much stuff do you need to read? Endless reviews of features I rarely use and don't care much about take time away from shooting.

If they don't have what you want... don't go there.
03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess DPReview is a big deal for some.... I found out what I wanted to know from Pop-photogrpahy... before I pre-ordered. Faster focus than Nikon 7100.. that's all I needed to hear. Looking at DPReview today, I realized, I never look at them. Imaging Resource tends to be my preferred source, and while their testing isn't complete the 2700 lw/ph, comparable to the d610, and 500 lw/ph more than the K-5 was good enough for me. I mean how much stuff do you need to read? Endless reviews of features I rarely use and don't care much about take time away from shooting.

If they don't have what you want... don't go there.
I think Pentax shooters do look for vindication in choosing a lesser known brand. It is nice to feel appreciated and have reviewers say "this is a really nice camera!" It is easier though, to deal with bad reviews (which are actually few), versus just being ignored (which is what DP Review has done to them lately). The D6100 has already had a review released, even though it is a relatively minor update of the D600, while the K3 is ignored.

I do want to see Pentax/Ricoh get covered and grow as percentage of the market, because it means more money for R and D and better bodies and glass for me in the future.
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #85
Veteran Member

So is this K-3 thing any good then?
03-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
So is this K-3 thing any good then?
No...
03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any chance this thread could get back to being about reviews that have been completed?
03-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
No...
Phew . . . glad I just bought the one then.

That was close!
03-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #89

Sorry for deviating the discussion towards something else, but I just wanted to point out that there is a strong opinion on DPReview that their tardiness on the Pentax K-3 review is unacceptable. I know that there are other sites which provide much more adequate in-depth reviews on cameras, but DPReview is one of the most visible ones out there and it is really annoying to see them shun different manufacturers. I hope that this wave of comments will provide a much needed wake-up call. Anyway, I'm still amazed on how this site has evolved during the years. I can't believe it's the same site that helped me choose the Pentax K100D as my first camera.

Last edited by ioszhka; 03-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.
03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ioszhka Quote
Sorry for deviating the discussion towards something else, but I just wanted to point out that there is a strong opinion on DPReview that their tardiness on the Pentax K-3 review is unacceptable. I know that there are other sites which provide much more adequate in-depth reviews on cameras, but DPReview is one of the most visible ones out there and it is really annoying to see them shun different manufacturers. I hope that this wave of comments will provide with a much needed wake-up call. Anyway, I'm still amazed on how this site has evolved during the years. I can't believe it's the same site that helped me choose the Pentax K100D as my first camera.

That's true, it is unacceptable. There are already a few threads discussing this in some detail. These are two of them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254014-dpr-reviews-o-fc1-f...not-k-3-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250392-dpreview-believers.html