Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #1

What would it take?

The other day I mentioned to a friend that I was selling-off most of my K-mount glass and abandoning Pentax dslrs. He was not surprised. But he did ask me what I thought was wrong with the K-3 (other than it not being full-frame), and what it would have taken to get me to stay with Pentax. I gave the question some thought and provided him with the following;

First, Pentax really needed to do something for those of us who have an investment in manual focus lenses. Even though I have sold a half-dozen lenses in recent months, I still have several Zeiss ZK lenses and several Voigtlanders in my bag. Pentax has done nothing to accomodate users like myself.

At the very least they could have offered a focusing screen that would help to focus these lenses (and yet remain accurate with auto-focus lenses). It's true that 'focusingscreens.com' does offer (occasionally) an S-type screen cut from a Canon blank. These screens work fairly well. (I have found the Katz-eye solution to be a poor one.) But this is only a partial fix.

The real solution--and many others have been saying this--would be 'through the viewfinder' live-view (with magnification and focus-peaking). The electronic feed is already there. Someone just has to figure out how to project that feed to the viewfinder with the mirror locked up. (I assume this is how the problem would have to be approached.)

Second, it would go a long way in satisfying the 'we want a full-frame' crowd (of which I am a member) if Pentax were to develop (or license) a "speed-booster" type converter. I have been using a Metabones speedbooster with several Contax/Zeiss lenses on my Xpro-1. The results are amazing.

I have long thought that a Pentax K to Pentax K speed booster would give users much of what they crave. An 85mm lens would once more behave like an 85mm lens (actually it would become a 90.5); there would also be approximately two-thirds of a stop gain in speed with a shallower depth of field. In most cases, this conversion provides increased resolution and contrast in the central two-thirds of the image. (The edges go a bit softer, though.)

I don't know if there are technical problems that stand in the way of these innovations. But a high-end APSC camera like the K-3 would, I think, have a much broader appeal if either of these features were a reality.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 11-24-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling errors
11-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
The other day I mentioned to a friend that I was selling-off most of my K-mount glass and abandoning Pentax dslrs. He was not surprised. But he did ask me what I thought was wrong with the K-3 (other than it not being full-frame), and what it would have taken to get me to stay with Pentax. I gave the question some thought and provided him with the following;

First, Pentax really needed to do something for those of us who have an investment in manual focus lenses. Even though I have sold a half-dozen lenses in recent months, I still have several Zeiss ZK lenses and several Voigtlanders in my bag. Pentax has done nothing to accomodate users like myself.

At the very least they could have offered a focusing screen that would help to focus these lenses (and yet remain accurate with auto-focus lenses). It's true that 'focusingscreens.com' does offer (occasionally) an S-type screen cut from a Canon blank. These screens work fairly well. (I have found the Katz-eye solution to be a poor one.) But this is only a partial fix.

The real solution--and many others have been saying this--would be 'through the viewfinder' live-view (with magnification and focus-peaking). The electronic feed is already there. Someone just has to figure out how to project that feed to the viewfinder with the mirror locked up. (I assume this is how the problem would have to be approached.)

Second, it would go a long way in satisfying the 'we want a full-frame' crowd (of which I am a member) if Pentax were to develop (or license) a "speed-booster" type converter. I have been using a Metabones speedbooster with several Contax/Zeiss lenses on my Xpro-1. The results are amazing.

I have long thought that a Pentax K to Pentax K speed booster would give users much of what they crave. An 85mm lens would once more behave like an 85mm lens (actually it would become a 90.5); there would also be approximately two-thirds of a stop gain in speed with a shallower depth of field. In most cases, this conversion provides increased resolution and contrast in the central two-thirds of the image. (The edges go a bit softer, though.)

I don't know if there are technical problems that stand in the way of these innovations. But a high-end APSC camera like the K-3 would, I think, have a much broader appeal if either of these features were a reality.

Just a thought.
Having a hybrid viewfinder in a Pentax would be awesome- isn't that what the fuji x100 already offers?

I don't think the K-3 lacks anything as a mainstream camera TBH. There's definitely money to be made among the full-frame/niche crowd, though, and I'm sure that Ricoh Imaging has been developing or at least considering a product to please those users.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #3

I agree with most of the complains + sync speed... 1/250 is standard these days so why Pentax is so stoburn about this??! On Canon 7d flash trigger when you go beyond 1/250 and there is no curtain trail even on 1/320??? Above you get some but at least you have a choise to crop if you want to.... Thats all I ask-give me a choise...
But when I hold my K5...) that's pure love And when I open it's RAW file and start moveing sliders...oh man it amazes me every time
That's why I'm so angry about those stupid little things like sync speed and huuuuge focus points. Give me just that two things and I would have PERFECT camera.
C'mon Pentax hear my prayers