Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 09:58 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 does a sparrow hawk

(this post could be moved to another section but they are about the K-3 and my experience of using it in challenging conditions)

Rather unbelievably when I was visiting my parents this afternoon a sparrow hawk took down a wood pigeon on the verandah!

They live relatively close to Bushy Park in South West London so seeing the odd bird of prey - normally kestrels - isn't beyond the realms of possibility but a sparrow hawk is really rare. I've seen one fly past but that's it many years.

It was a privilege to watch it feed - but we had to be careful to round up the cats and keep them out of the kitchen! The following photographs were taken through the cat flap!

It was challenging because I was crouched on the floor using live view with the lens poking through the cat flap. In the thrill of the moment I had left the camera on -0.7 ev but in a sense this actually gave me a better shutter speed. However the weather was poor and it was starting to rain so shutter speeds were still only about 1/250 at f/5.0 ISO 1000+ and sometime the shutter speed was lower. As a result pretty much all of these have had +0.83 ev and +44 shadows applied in PS Lightroom. However, I think it's a testament to the K-3 that actually even at ISO 1000+ shadow detail is remarkably clean for a 24mp sensor. Detail in these shots is very good but in others the shutter speeds were too low and the images were blurred - I curse not having blazing sunshine. I could have upped to the ISO to over 1600 but in a way that's a trade off of increasing the % of sharp pictures at the expense of them all being noisier.

I was very lucky to have my DA* 60-250mm with me. Primarily for the silent focus, also the K-3 shutter didn't disturb the bird even at 8.3fps - but my cards locked up the camera too much (I need to get an Extreme Pro SD card).

These are downsized obviously so they only give you an idea of performance in these challenging conditions. This is the context:

And here's the rest of the series:

This one is an action shot that would have been perfect were the feather in focus! ->

and a B&W conversion:

Hope you enjoyed them! And comments and questions welcome!

Last edited by Caat; 11-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.
11-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can not see the photos..
11-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Can not see the photos..
Neither can I.
11-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK one sec

edit: should work now

11-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more that I left out by accident:

11-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow that is a fascinating series. Good work!
11-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
(this post could be moved to another section but they are about the K-3 and my experience of using it in challenging conditions)

Rather unbelievably when I was visiting my parents this afternoon a sparrow hawk took down a wood pigeon on the verandah!

They live relatively close to Bushy Park in South West London so seeing the odd bird of prey - normally kestrels - isn't beyond the realms of possibility but a sparrow hawk is really rare. I've seen one fly past but that's it many years.

It was a privilege to watch it feed - but we had to be careful to round up the cats and keep them out of the kitchen! The following photographs were taken through the cat flap!

It was challenging because I was crouched on the floor using live view with the lens poking through the cat flap. In the thrill of the moment I had left the camera on -0.7 ev but in a sense this actually gave me a better shutter speed. However the weather was poor and it was starting to rain so shutter speeds were still only about 1/250 at f/5.0 ISO 1000+ and sometime the shutter speed was lower. As a result pretty much all of these have had +0.83 ev and +44 shadows applied in PS Lightroom. However, I think it's a testament to the K-3 that actually even at ISO 1000+ shadow detail is remarkably clean for a 24mp sensor. Detail in these shots is very good but in others the shutter speeds were too low and the images were blurred - I curse not having blazing sunshine. I could have upped to the ISO to over 1600 but in a way that's a trade off of increasing the % of sharp pictures at the expense of them all being noisier.

I was very lucky to have my DA* 60-250mm with me. Primarily for the silent focus, also the K-3 shutter didn't disturb the bird even at 8.3fps - but my cards locked up the camera too much (I need to get an Extreme Pro SD card).

Hope you enjoyed them! And comments and questions welcome!
You have a very good set of the hawk !
Suggestion: post some of your pics here too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html

JP
11-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Awesome..

11-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Very interesting… nice work… I've never had a hawk on my porch, lucky guy.
11-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

RE: the card locking up thing, I've got that too, it's really jarring on the K-3, mine locked up for a good 30 seconds or so after a quick burst. And awesome (if slightly gruesome) shots by the way! Fancy seeing a sparrowhawk in London!

That 5th one (maybe 6th, one doesn't seem to have loaded) has the bird with one MEAN expression! great shots :]
11-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Great series! This is why I always pack my camera with me. You never know what is going to happen. - Jack
11-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great series. Some very sharp pictures amongst them. Perfect timing.
11-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
RE: the card locking up thing, I've got that too, it's really jarring on the K-3, mine locked up for a good 30 seconds or so after a quick burst. And awesome (if slightly gruesome) shots by the way! Fancy seeing a sparrowhawk in London!

That 5th one (maybe 6th, one doesn't seem to have loaded) has the bird with one MEAN expression! great shots :]
Thanks!

Spotted the missing ones, they've been reinstated
11-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

That is a bloody mess. Nice work!
11-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
NKK
Veteran Member

Awesome series