Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Sunpak 422d for K-3

Hi, guys

I have a old but trustworthy Sunpak 422d that I used with my Nikon FE2. It still works great. I do know that i can change the module on my sunpak to the PT2D. Can anyone tell me if I can use this flash safely with my K-3 when I get it? I'm still at the "Soon baby Soon" phase from my wife at the moment. I hope to get my K-3 by the end of December early January.

I was also wondering what Flashes do people recommend that I can use with the Pentax. If I have to buy it will probably be in the 150-200 dollar range type of flash that will Pttl with the K-3

I would appreciate if I can get some feedback

Chico

11-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is not much reason to get the PT-2D module, that is for the old Pentax TTL system and won't work on anything newer than an *istD and there are no modules available for the newer P-TTL system. The PT-2D module will talk to newer bodies in primitive ways, informing the body that the flash is ready and setting the shutter speed to 1/180 when in Av mode, but I don't think it is worth spending money on one. It should be fine on the K-3 with the Nikon module, the trigger voltage is low and the flash has good non-TTL modes that should serve you well.

For new flashes that support P-TTL in that price range look at Metz and Sigma, they offer more features for the money than the Pentax ones.
11-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

As you may be aware, the PENTAX AF 360FGZ, works well with all flash modes.
I use it a lot; the only one I can personally vouch for. Used on K100D, K-r, K-3.
PENTAX AF 360FGZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
has more info and opinions.
11-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chicomalo Quote
I was also wondering what Flashes do people recommend that I can use with the Pentax.
This is a great site to get familiar with all the current PTTL flashes for Pentax, with their features etc:
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

The 'Flash and Lighting' sub-forum of Pentax Forums also has a lot of useful discussion of flashes and flash issues.

11-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for info on the flash

Thanks guys the link really helped right now it looks like adoroma has the sigma at a good price i may buy that model but like I said right now im in the "soon baby soon" from my wife at this moment.
11-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chicomalo Quote
Thanks guys the link really helped right now it looks like adoroma has the sigma at a good price i may buy that model but like I said right now im in the "soon baby soon" from my wife at this moment.
Congrats! Don't do what I did and run out of gas on the way to the hospital...
11-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Not having a baby when i quote "soon baby soon"

LOL, Noooooo, I mean my wife saying that I will soon get my K-3 not that we are having a baby. im 52 years old shes 54 no way, we had our kids we love them, but enough is enough its our time to have fun and be irresponsible LOl. Just have to wait to do the obligatory Christmas thing then ai get my k-3