Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

k-3 images lacking wow factor

I'm in the process of selling my Nikon gear and coming over to the wonderful world of Pentax. In the meantime I've been having a real hard time deciding if I should go with the k-5iis or the new k-3. I'm mainly into landscape and flower photography, fast action shooting is few and far between. At the moment I'm having a hard time seeing the "wow" factor out of the k-3 images that I've seen so far posted on the internet but, the ones coming out of the k-5iis just seem to "pop" out and have beautiful colors and sharpness to them. I was hoping that I can get some advise or just hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance

11-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mgomez Quote
At the moment I'm having a hard time seeing the "wow" factor out of the k-3 images that I've seen so far posted on the internet but, the ones coming out of the k-5iis just seem to "pop" out and have beautiful colors and sharpness to them.
I think any difference in wow factor or pop is likely a result of the different hands holding the camera (and doing the pp), rather than the different cameras being held.
11-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you following that tread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html
11-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you have to consider that K-5(and variant models) had been out since what? 2010? By now people had been with the camera for so long that they know how to get the best out of it and taken it to so many outings the number of WOW! shots would definitely be a lot, whereas K-3 was out for a month....you get the idea

11-25-2013, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree, I don't really have any K-3 wow images… but I've only shot 1300 images and I've had really crappy light since the K-3 arrived.

But I can't say I'm disappointed either. But for a landscape shooter, I'm not sure a K-5 IIs wouldn't be just as good. I bought AF and faster burst and more croppability for wildlife when I bought the K-3. My wife is still happy with her K-5.
11-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a K5 II and a K3 and the sensors are pretty close -- a little more detail in the K3 at base iso, but otherwise they are about the same. With regard to differences between the photos you have seen, I attribute that mostly to differences in light and post processing.

The reasons to get a K3 over a K5 II are if you need to have faster processing, faster frame rate, faster auto focus with better tracking that you see with the K3 versus the K5 II. If you don't need these things, then certainly a K5 II would be a cheaper way to go and probably give you similar photos.
11-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgomez Quote
At the moment I'm having a hard time seeing the "wow" factor out of the k-3 images that I've seen so far posted on the internet but, the ones coming out of the k-5iis just seem to "pop" out and have beautiful colors and sharpness to them. I was hoping that I can get some advise or just hear some opinions.
There indeed seems to be a certain lack of pixie dust to the K-3

11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think any difference in wow factor or pop is likely a result of the different hands holding the camera (and doing the pp), rather than the different cameras being held.
Exactly my thought
You don'r blame the pan when the food isn't good
11-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well if you think the K-3 isn't for you, get the K-5IIs. Problem solved. No need to make a thread with a title that states something as if it is fact, a title that might make some people perceive the camera with a bias.
But the reviews seem to be pretty consistent that the K-3 is better. Then again, people make wow photos even with the ist*, the Q - it all depends on the photographer, the content, and post processing. The K-3 is so new that most sample photos taken with it are just snapshots to demonstrate "it works!" rather than actual photographic art. I'm sure once people get to work with the K-3 they will be able to pull more out of it than the K-5. On the other hand, the K-5 is still a great camera with a lot of features and great IQ. Nothing wrong with getting the K-5 (II, s) and saving some money - to spend it on lenses, of course!
11-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Col
Veteran Member

Haven't developed my Lightroom K3 wow profile as yet.

Also I don't think Lr5 is reading the extra DNG info for zoned WB, certainly can't pick up RAW HDR
11-25-2013, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

As with all cameras, WOW not included.
11-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where's the WOW?

Hello mgomez, welcome to the Forum!
Without making excuses for the K-3's capabilities (like it needs any!), the likely reasons are all of the above.
Were you getting the best results possible out of any new body you've owned, after a month of use?
I certainly didn't, most have taken me much longer just to get the settings and in-camera adjustments halfway right. Even then, I still learned new things to try from other users, usually here on Pentax Forum.
Same with processing. Any sensor requires certain PP tweaks (especially in RAW) to extract the best detail, color, saturation, contrast, etc. Adding a new, entirely different generation sensor to my (or, anyone's) knowledge base takes hours of processing practice to equal or possibly surpass, results with older and more familiar sensor characteristics. Just my simple change from the K-7 to the K-5 (same body, different sensor) took me months to get near-equal results in Lightroom. Now, the K-5 images look better, but at first they didn't. Another learning curve, but perhaps I'm a slow learner!
Last, the lenses used. Side-by-side tests of (say) a K-5IIs and the K-3, both using the same lens, might give you a different viewpoint. There are more lenses with a 'wow' factor than bodies or sensors. Some may disagree, but let's face it, the kit lens just isn't going to equal a Limited or other high-end glass in performance. Since I don't know what lenses were used on the K-3 to provide the lack of 'wow', it's impossible to say for sure what the cause is.
If the K-3 doesn't seem like it has what you seek, and the K-5IIS does, the choice is obvious.
Assuming it's a fair evaluation, of course.
Ron
11-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
I don't think Lr5 is reading the extra DNG info for zoned WB, certainly can't pick up RAW HDR
To expand this, one reason that a lot of folks may be underwhelmed by K-3 images is that most of us who use Adobe software for developing these images, aren't playing with a full deck (yet) So what is being shown is incomplete on a technical level.

Adobe says that the next version of Lightroom and ACR for Photoshop will include profiles for K-3. I think that matters a lot beyond new WB functionality. But we'll see.

M
11-25-2013, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones feed back. There are many points of views in here that I hadn't thought of originally. I've been into photography for only a year so, I'm a newbie (a very motivated one)and looking for all the help I can get. I value everyones opinion and advice.

Thanks
11-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'll have to admit that I have noticed this lack of "pop" in my K-3 images thus far as well. I was reluctant to post about it because I figured there'd be some backlash. I'm going on the assumption that it's because LR doesn't have the profile yet, and if that's it, then no biggie. Definitely a noticeable and disappointing difference between K-3 images and K-5IIs (or even old K-5) images, though. The camera's performance otherwise is so wonderful that I was reluctant to "back-burner" my K-3 until the LR update is available, but that's what I've done.