Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
We shall see in a few months when the post software is updated.
Sure hope it doesn't take that long.

11-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #32

Original Poster
I feel I need to clarify my "wow" and "pop" words so that we can all get along and be happy again. I was just wondering what some reactions were when looking at the jpeg images and how you felt the JPEG engine working. Although I've only been shooting for about year, I feel I've already learned a lot in that short time. Please don't mistake me for the kind of person that buys a DSLR and expects miracles. I understand that it takes time with the equipment to master the art. I've already taken 4 photography classes in pursue of knowledge. At the moment I'm only shooting JPEG because I don't have the tools to pp the way I'd like to. I hope this clarifies some things. Thanks again for everyone's input, I know your all trying to help.
11-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I would like to know how people define "wow" & "pop". I really like the images coming out of the K-3. I shoot RAW and I'm still playing around with processing because it is different than the K-5.
11-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Welcome….
I have a K5 for two years and still very happy with the result and the whole Pentax system.
I don't have a K3 yet….but doubt you can go wrong with it.

11-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, for me personally, I'm missing some of the depth to the colors that I'm used to and some overall image clarity, which is a big part of where subject isolation and, yes, "pop" come from.

Of course the K-3 and K-5 are different sensors and there will be some differences in the images they produce, but the unprocessed RAW images I'm seeing thus far from the K-3 just can't compete with those from either of my K-5's. Yes, the detail is there. Sharpness is not an issue. What I'm missing is the "Pentaxiness."

Once again, though, I feel quite certain that a proper camera profile will solve everything. At least IQ-wise. We need some firmware to fix a few camera issues.
11-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The lack of ACR support is a big deal. When I import a bunch of DNG files to ACR, they immediately turn to an odd greenish hue and I have to do a bunch of correcting just to get things back to a normal baseline. But files do have a lot of leeway with processing once you get it "there."

what white balance setting are you using? lr works fine for me
11-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
This is the kind of post I expected. Flippantly suggesting it's the user and their lack of ability to use the camera properly. When I say there's something "not quite there" about my K-3 images, why would you assume that it's something that I don't have set properly? I shoot RAW. As far as image quality goes, there's not really anything different about setting up the K-3 to do that than there is about any other camera. The images also get roughly the same minimal PP that I've used with other bodies. Though I have tried a little more tweaking to get the "pop" to show up.

I've had every Pentax body since the K100D, though I've never bought any of them before ACR supported them, so as a RAW shooter I am in uncharted waters here, but not with the camera usage. I know how to use the camera, I just need LR to provide the proper camera profile. No one is suggesting that the camera does not work well. Do you not read any of the previous posts before you chime in?
do any of these pop for you?? all processed in light room btw, there is nothing wrong with the dng lr profile.

Flickr: tittermary's Photostream

Last edited by tittermary; 11-25-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: addition
11-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The lack of ACR support is a big deal. When I import a bunch of DNG files to ACR, they immediately turn to an odd greenish hue and I have to do a bunch of correcting just to get things back to a normal baseline. But files do have a lot of leeway with processing once you get it "there."

this is nice!!
11-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
do any of these pop for you?? all processed in light room btw

Flickr: tittermary's Photostream
Yes, most of them do. I was just about to tell you that when I saw you had posted as I had already seen many of your images.

What can I say, I'm just not seeing it with my K-3 and LR yet. Then again, gotta believe that you too will like what you see even better with ACR support.
11-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yes, most of them do. I was just about to tell you that when I saw you had posted as I had already seen many of your images.

What can I say, I'm just not seeing it with my K-3 and LR yet. Then again, gotta believe that you too will like what you see even better with ACR support.
thanks

yeah I do think the best is yet to come, I noticed you have really good lens so that shouldn't be an issue, i will say that the jump to 24meg is tough, its very demanding and takes some getting used to as far as technique and any and I do mean any flaw in your lens will be magnified, White balance and exposure are more important (please dont ask me why but it just seems to matter more not sure how come) with the higher meg sensors but in the end the rewards are worth the effort, and a better lr profile wouldn't hurt lol, but I really don't think that's the issue your having.
11-25-2013, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would like to know how people define "wow" & "pop". I really like the images coming out of the K-3. I shoot RAW and I'm still playing around with processing because it is different than the K-5.
I would think that lighting and subject plays a very big role in how much snap crackle & pop there is in any image.
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
thanks

yeah I do think the best is yet to come, I noticed you have really good lens so that shouldn't be an issue, i will say that the jump to 24meg is tough, its very demanding and takes some getting used to as far as technique and any and I do mean any flaw in your lens will be magnified, White balance and exposure are more important (please dont ask me why but it just seems to matter more not sure how come) with the higher meg sensors but in the end the rewards are worth the effort, and a better lr profile wouldn't hurt lol, but I really don't think that's the issue your having.
Well, I have already noticed that proper exposure is indeed more important now, and if I have to start worrying about WB now then that would be a deal breaker on the K-3 for me. I have not been concerned with WB for several years (not pre-shot, anyway), and I shouldn't have to as a RAW shooter. But since all shooting parameters are the same as before, the camera profile simply must be the biggest difference in what I'm seeing.

I'm really not concerned, though. My K-5IIs is only a few months older than my K-3 and is giving me the kind of beautiful results that I'm used to. The type of paid work I do this time of year is not demanding on a camera and definitely doesn't require any of the expanded capabilities of the K-3, so no great sacrifice on my part. I can be patient.
11-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #43
Inactive Account

It's different

I'm still learning to process the images from the K-3. Granted there is no Lightroom profile, but I'm also finding a "less-is-more" approach to the K-3: less sharpening, less color tweaking, less contrast pushing.

The IQ is definitely different than the K-5, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse. The resolution of detail is amazing, though! But as far as processing work, I feel like I did when I got the K-5: still finding the right workflow and settings. I expect the release of Adobe's profile will help to find the sweet spot.
11-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The images I've seen look good but seem a little dull, like you just need to turn up the color vibrance a bit. I still want one, but unfortunately they're out of my price range for now.

The older 16mp sensor has been in circulation for so long its hard to compare the experience of the two.

Nailing a crisp focus is also part the equation, just because it says its focused does not mean it is. I had a K10 once that needed some shimming to really Nail focus and give the kind of IQ that "pops"

Collimation is a subject I need to read up on... Manufacturing tolerances can impact this.

Last edited by jkomp316; 11-26-2013 at 02:54 AM.
11-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went ahead and skipped buying K-5, and bought K-3. Right now I'm still at the point where WOW factor jumps in when shooting with this beast. But, when I put pics at LR, It doens not work so well. It'll take some time. I adore DR, great colors and that sharpness even with my legacy class(see my sign.).

I know it will be great after one get's familiar with new gear and firmware updates comes for camera and software. I did learn to shoot and prosess with my K-7, and that did take looong time, as it did with my *ist DS before that. That -WOW- is coming. I hope tgat it will happen to me too, but for others too. I have already seen great performance by others at here.

Now, excuse me, I need to take my freetime from today and go having fun with my K-3.