Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
do any of these pop for you?? all processed in light room btw, there is nothing wrong with the dng lr profile.
Flickr: tittermary's Photostream
Your non K-3 (Nikon etc.) shots look better than the K-3 ones on my calibrated monitor. The K-3 profile gamma needs tweaking ...

11-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
what white balance setting are you using? lr works fine for me
When the photos show up with the camera recommended white balance, it is usually way off. It isn't hard to fix with the eye dropper or sometimes even picking Auto, but it isn't right most of the time. I'm glad it is working for you, but it definitely needs more support from Adobe.
11-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #48

The K-3 or the K-5 are technically capable of producing WOW results. I think it is upto the photographer to make it happen.
11-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
The K-3 or the K-5 are technically capable of producing WOW results. I think it is upto the photographer to make it happen.
It has to be said, without my FA Limiteds and K f/1.2 I'd struggle to produce the images I now do (which aren't world class, but for a simpleton like me, not too bad).

So much depends on what is stuck on the front of the camera.

11-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
So much depends on what is stuck on the front of the camera.
...and even more depends on who is stuck behind it
11-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reaction to the K-3 seems similar to the response of NEX users to the NEX 7 when it first came out. Some were thrilled but many, including me, were underwhelmed. In time its strengths and weaknesses were accommodated and users became very happy. The K-3 is in every way a better camera than the NEX-7. We will learn how to work around the high ISO noise issue which, for me, is the only disappointment so far.
11-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
...and even more depends on who is stuck behind it
Not really, not in my case. My shots were utterly terrible until I got the FA Limiteds. They do most of the work. Lightroom does the rest.

11-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
the [apparent] high ISO noise issue
Emphasis is mine Looking at many K-3 test images, including a few of my own now, the K-3 'high ISO issue' is little different from the K-5's.

Even if you use the supplied software (DCU5) to process the RAW's, K-3 high ISO's are very well handled and workable. Plus I can't wait to try Lightroom 5 or DxO 9's new 'Prime' NR engine on the K-3, once they support it.
11-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were to judge my K-5 based on jpg output I'd also say it was inconsistent and lacking "wow." Not that the images can't be good, but often they lack a little. When I look at the RAW images, however, they almost always look better even without editing. I think any camera's jpg engine is going to make some decisions and they're not always for the best. The images I can get with a little novice tweaking in LR4 are far better.

As mentioned, it will take some time for the post-processing software to catch up with the new camera. It will also take a little while for the experts to figure out how to get the most out of the in-camera jpg processing.
11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Your non K-3 (Nikon etc.) shots look better than the K-3 ones on my calibrated monitor. The K-3 profile gamma needs tweaking ...
yeah still working that out, could be me though I am used to processing nikon and fuji and I haven't got the k3 figured out 100%

profile works but it it could be better as some of you have said.
11-26-2013, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #56
Banned

If I'm luckey I will get a print in tomorrow. The size I orderd is 120x80cm (or 47x31,5 inch). If there is any wow in it, I will notice it.
11-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I felt the same way when I rented a K-5 as a K-x user. I was expecting to look at my photos and say "Wow!" but I didn't. About a year after that I bought a K-5 and eventually grew to love it.
I'm thinking my initial response was due to a couple of things. One was differences in controls, so that when shooting in the heat of the moment, I might not be able to adjust the setting I want quickly and may not have had it set in the best way. The other was that I was just running my images through the same process as the K-x, and the K-5 needed slightly different tweaks.
Now I have a K-3 and have felt some of the same feelings when reviewing my photos. I had a couple of high ISO shots early on that seemed very noisy compared to what I was expecting. As I have had it for a few weeks now, I find I need to sharpen less on the K-3 and that helps the noise issue quite a bit.

So if you just apply the exact same preset to a photo that would have worked well for a K-5 image, it may not work as well with a K-3 image. I'm still experimenting with processing, NR, WB, and everything else for the K-3 and am finding the old bag of tricks doesn't always work now. I need some new tricks or to revise some old ones I think.

That being said I have taken some images with the K-3 that I'm quite happy with so my initial buyer's remorse has lessened quite a bit. I'm hopeful I'll continue to get used to it and how to process the images as well as some firmware/software updates to accommodate it that are surely on the way.

FYI, I always shoot RAW so these comments are all based on that.

Here's a photo from Sunday that I like. Taken with the K-3 and DA 18-135 (not my best lens, but probably the best to haul with me skiing)
Processed in LR4. Light wasn't great, but not terrible. Detail came out well I thought.

Last edited by mattb123; 11-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.
01-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #58
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Ron,
Based on most of the posts so far, I'd have to say you either learn much faster, are a much better photographer, or maybe, lucky.
Whatever the reason for your quick success, hang on to it!
Ron
There are two images I made on the first day I owned the K-3 in a post I put up in the newssector. The portrait is #28 image I made with the K-3.

So, do I feel Lucky?

You can find it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/248845-ricoh-imaging-europe-s-s-report-meeting.html
01-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't share images much here (never, actually) but mt impression after a month is I'm just starting to get enough hand control to manage sharp images with the new sensor. On inspection EVERY image suffered from motion blur. I didn't have such problems with the K10 or K-01.
01-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
My shots were utterly terrible until I got the FA Limiteds.
Happy for you! Unfortunate for me, the pixie dust of my 77/1.8 limited stays inside the camera.

Steve