Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So, yeah, some good points here. Lister6520 got the idea correct -- stationary camera and moving subject means motion sickness. So I have found one use for video SR. When the subject is not up-close (I don't have a minimum distance established yet) SR does a good job of keeping the frame still despite minor motion. The closest subject I tried was a lamp across my room and the SR worked properly. The lamp was probably 15 feet away. So the failing seems to be with close subjects and a stationary camera. I agree, too, that SR needs to have input from the gyros. In fact, the gyros should have SR veto power. If they say the camera isn't moving, then SR needs to listen and be inactive. But having SR that tracks a subject could b okay so long as there exist only two planes -- subject and sensor. Adding a third plane -- subject, sensor, and background or foreground -- seems to be difficult for the SR to comprehend.

As for the moire pattern that Erictator noticed, yeah. When I saw that in the video I wanted to take myself out to the barn and beat my butt wit ha switch. I don't know if the AA filter control for the still images applies to video or not, yet. I shoot with the AA filter off, so if that tells the video whether or not to use AA filtering, then the moire pattern is my fault. I suspect that to be the case but will check tonight or tomorrow when I film a video on the Canon A1.

12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm getting better with the K-3's video functions:

12-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And another from this weekend:
12-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
osv
Veteran Member

I've written scripts and done voice-overs for my videos, so I know how difficult it can be to get good narration.

based on that experience, I think that the strongest thing that you have going in those vids is the ability to talk coherently off the cuff like that... there weren't many uh, duh, etc., type of comments.

1) audio level is way too low
2) cut the length by at least half, and lead off with video showing the stabilizer in use(shot from another video camera) because it gets the user interest up enough to stay tuned through the whole clip
3) put stills in the editing timeline, not with screen capture
4) dissolves with your voice talking over itself... always shoot a couple of seconds of preroll before and after you do the actual content, so you have room for those dissolves.
5) turn off autoexposure for those table shots, and bring the light in from an angle where your hands won't get in the way.

hope this helps, keep working at it!!

12-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, OSV. On my rope bipod video, yeah, it's almost a silent movie. My cell phone recorded at near-silent, and I adjusted the rest of the audio to match so that I wouldn't blow out anyone's ears. As for everything else, thank you. I have trouble self-editing sometimes.

I've started using the K-3's manual exposure mode, which has made a huge difference. Thank you for the feedback. I'm working on some of the technical things like double-voice dissolves. Oh, and none of the images were screen captures. I only use stills for still images, but will sometimes grab a shot prior to starting the video and use so that it's identical to the shot I'm fading into.