Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

REQUEST: Custom Mode Settings for Birding User Mode

Since the release of the K-3, there has been scattered info from users about settings they've used for birding. I'm hoping others out there can share their settings in one thread so that folks like me can put together a user mode for birding.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

11-25-2013, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good call Steve - I'd been meaning to post a generic request for preferred USER settings here for a couple of days, and a bird option would be excellent!
11-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Since the release of the K-3, there has been scattered info from users about settings they've used for birding. I'm hoping others out there can share their settings in one thread so that folks like me can put together a user mode for birding.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
what kind of birds? location? what lens, tripod or no tripod? what can you hand hold with no ibis? bif or stationary? do you shot jpg or raw?, all factors and I'm sure I missed a few. I will put together a few generic settings that I use and post up tomorrow.
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm thinking more of the camera settings that can be stored as a User setting - iso range, focus/metering setup and custom settings to store that are best for long shots of flighty creatures. These other items would help too, of course...

11-25-2013, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've got three. First the common ones.
Awb,
Iso auto 100-3200
Raw, dng.
Shake reduction on, anti alias off
Afc
First frame action in afc, focus priority.
Action in afc continuous, focus priority.
Af on half shutter, af button cancels.
Now the differences
U1, tv mode has afc selected L, with center point selected.
Metering center weighted.
Hold status medium.
U2 tv mode, spot focus and spot metering, hold status off.
U3, same as U1 except tav mode, f8 for my sigma 150-500mm who likes to be stopped down.

All subject to change at my whim.

I have the dials set so that in tv mode I can change the shutter speed and exposure compensation.
11-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I've got three. First the common ones.
Awb,
Iso auto 100-3200
Raw, dng.
Shake reduction on, anti alias off
Afc
First frame action in afc, focus priority.
Action in afc continuous, focus priority.
Af on half shutter, af button cancels.
Now the differences
U1, tv mode has afc selected L, with center point selected.
Metering center weighted.
Hold status medium.
U2 tv mode, spot focus and spot metering, hold status off.
U3, same as U1 except tav mode, f8 for my sigma 150-500mm who likes to be stopped down.

All subject to change at my whim.

I have the dials set so that in tv mode I can change the shutter speed and exposure compensation.
white balance should be sunny or cloudy or shade depending on weather, if you have 20 shots with awb you will end up with all kinds of wb, I leave it on sunny actually 90% of the time, also shake reduction should be off imho can cause problems at higher shutter speeds and when panning i put in on the raw button in case I need it for a stationary slow shutter shot.

i put af on the af button only, shutter is for shutter

course this is just me I guess there is no right or wrong

dt
11-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
These are a great start, thank you!

@tittermary: I'll be shooting with a tripod/gimbal setup using my Bigma for potentially moving birds (Bald Eagles, mainly). I definitely shoot RAW 100%.
11-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Thanks for starting this Steve, I'm very interested in what settings to use for birds.

11-26-2013, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
These are a great start, thank you!

@tittermary: I'll be shooting with a tripod/gimbal setup using my Bigma for potentially moving birds (Bald Eagles, mainly). I definitely shoot RAW 100%.
I would start with auto iso 100 to 6400 ( shot at 6400 is better than no shot!!)
Keep your shutter over 800-1000 if your tracking. (depends on focal length of course )
White balance sunny or whatever you like just not auto.
af-c, center point with sel3 med hold to start, play with this depends subject
aperture at the sweet spot for your lens if its 5.6 or higher sorry get a new lens (just saying) UNLESS its a no action shot but your going to want to keep f8 or lower even then
use the portrait setting, dial in +.7 or +1 exposure comp
use the af button for focus and shutter button for taking the shot (seperate them)
turn off all the in camera correction stuff (I think it slows the camera down) I do use the highlight correction though gives a little more on highlights.
turn sr off but move it the raw button for easy access for no action shots at lower shutter speeds (800 or less- anything over turn it off or if on tripod turn it off)

see how that works for ya