Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any NYC-area K-3 owners want to come out and play?

I'm not sure if I should post this query in this sub-forum (focused on the K-3) or in a forum that focuses on meet-ups, but since this sub-forum seems to be a lot more active, I thought I would try it here. I'm wondering if there are some current or soon to be K-3 owners in the NYC area who would like to get together in the next month or so to play with our cameras. I will admit that as a new Pentaxian, as well as a new K-3 owner, I would love to meet (and learn from) more experienced Pentax owners who are putting their new toy through its paces. As a Manhattan resident (I live and work downtown), perhaps what I could bring to the party are some suggestions about locations to shoot (and then warm up afterwards). I also have a friend who does a lot of bird photography in Central Park, and I could pick his brains about the best locations for bird photography in CP in December. Maybe if there's enough interest for a meet-up or two, we could try one in the next couple of weeks and then one after the holidays (so that those who get K-3s as gifts could join the party).

11-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I would, but I hate snow(used to live in Bklyn). You should come out here to the Hearst Castle where it's currently the birthing season of the Elephant Seals right across the street.
11-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting Im fron N.J not to far away
11-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Its funny i lived off the central coast and those elephant seals take over the real estate. There are even signs that say"Do not stare at seals it makes them nervous". Hearst Castle is beautiful place. Every once in awhile you'll see a heard of Zebra and other wildlife there. Central Coast is beautiful in itself but over rated I now live in Prescott Area of Arizona and I love it.

11-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I would, but I hate snow(used to live in Bklyn). You should come out here to the Hearst Castle where it's currently the birthing season of the Elephant Seals right across the street.
Hah! I moved to NYC to get away from the snow (I'm from Canada).
11-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Hey frogoutofwater,
I work downtown and always looking for new places to shoot. Im on the fence about getting the k3 . Im using the k5 these days. Im up for meeting. Send me a msg and well set something up.
11-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Hah! I moved to NYC to get away from the snow (I'm from Canada).
I spent a month in Cold Lake back in '89.
11-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chicomalo Quote
Its funny i lived off the central coast and those elephant seals take over the real estate. There are even signs that say"Do not stare at seals it makes them nervous". Hearst Castle is beautiful place. Every once in awhile you'll see a heard of Zebra and other wildlife there. Central Coast is beautiful in itself but over rated I now live in Prescott Area of Arizona and I love it.
Zebra! Out by the ocean? Riiight. There are Bobcats that try to get Seagulls.

I was able to get within three feet of two pups.

11-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #9

Yes there are Zebras at the property surrounding Hertz Castle?

Its a well known fact that Mr. Hearst who owned Hearts castle had one of the largest private zoos in California. most of the animals were moved but some how a heard of zebras were never caught look it up google it. I lived in the area at one time and would see them occasionally as you drove on highway 1 before you arrived at Hearst castle was a town called Cambria and Hearts castle is located in San Simeon

Most of animals had been placed by 1953, two years after Mr. Hearst’s death, but many animals were permitted to range free on the ranch. In 1958, when the State was given Hearst Castle, there were Rocky Mountain elk, tahr goats, llamas, white fallow deer, zebras, Barbary sheep and sambar deer still on the ranch. Today, few of these animals survive, but often zebra may be seen grazing in the pastures along Highway 1 near the town of San Simeon.

Info located at this site Hearst Castle Private Zoo

Like i said i Lived in the area

Last edited by Chicomalo; 11-27-2013 at 08:48 AM.
12-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

Hi frogoutofwater:
Always happy to see another Pentaxian in the Big Apple. I just bought a K-3 to take with me on a photography workshop to Cuba next week. Still trying to get comfortable with the camera before the trip.
I live on the UES and am a member of several NYC photography meetup groups on Yahoo. Although it's almost a badge of courage to be the only Pentaxian on these shoots, it would be nice to have another Pentaxian along. I'm not a birder, my longest lens is the DA* 50-135, but am open to most any other kinds of shoots. I'm actually hoping to shoot the Frog exhibit at the Museum of Natural History when I get back from my trip, if that's of any interest to you. You could shoot some other frogs out of water(LOL). I'll be back from my trip on the 22nd. Feel free to msg me.
Best....Leo
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leo315 Quote
Hi frogoutofwater:
Always happy to see another Pentaxian in the Big Apple. I just bought a K-3 to take with me on a photography workshop to Cuba next week. Still trying to get comfortable with the camera before the trip.
I live on the UES and am a member of several NYC photography meetup groups on Yahoo. Although it's almost a badge of courage to be the only Pentaxian on these shoots, it would be nice to have another Pentaxian along. I'm not a birder, my longest lens is the DA* 50-135, but am open to most any other kinds of shoots. I'm actually hoping to shoot the Frog exhibit at the Museum of Natural History when I get back from my trip, if that's of any interest to you. You could shoot some other frogs out of water(LOL). I'll be back from my trip on the 22nd. Feel free to msg me.
Best....Leo
Hey Leo, that would be great - and of course I'd love to shoot the frog exhibit. Have a great time in Cuba - who is leading your workshop?
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Hey Leo, that would be great - and of course I'd love to shoot the frog exhibit. Have a great time in Cuba - who is leading your workshop?
Glad you're on board.The workshop is being led by Lorne Resnick. He gave a seminar at the B&H Event Space on travel photography back in 2012. The feedback on his workshops was very positive. In case your interested, I've linked the seminar from youtube.