Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 300 AF speed K3 vs K5II

Hi any tests if the K3 has a faster AF or cont. AF with the DA*300 lens..this is for birding work....
Thanks S

11-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi any tests if the K3 has a faster AF or cont. AF with the DA*300 lens..this is for birding work....
Thanks S
The base AF speed is the same, but for tracking the K-3 is better. It's evolution rather than revolution, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I read somewhere recently - I think it was here - that someone was getting significantly better focusing results with the K-3 - possibly because of the tracking. I can't vouch for this myself because I've stayed with my K-5 IIs for this sports season (and I'm not doing birding).

IIRC someone did much better using the DA*300 vs. e.g. the Sigma 50-500.
11-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It isn't faster, the movement is the same speed. It is a more positive action. Nothing slows a lens down more than hunting for focus. On the K-5 it was always a chore to focus this lens, in my experience at least. Far different with the K-3.

The only time I've noticed the speed of the focus is when close in. For example, there were a bunch of small birds in the trees, from 6 feet to 20 feet away. That focus throw seemed slow. But further out it has less movement to make to cover distance, and it is plenty fast.

11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The time to focus for the DA*300 is the same for both the K3 and K5IIs. However, once focus is achieved the K3 can track better and feels much more confident in focussing. The extra focus points allow more refined focus locations which are an important thing for wildlife photos.

Dale
11-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
The time to focus for the DA*300 is the same for both the K3 and K5IIs. However, once focus is achieved the K3 can track better and feels much more confident in focussing. The extra focus points allow more refined focus locations which are an important thing for wildlife photos.

Dale
how many points do you use when you focus? I normally use only the center,maybe that's why the K5II hunts a bit at long distances? many times I find it better to use MF with birds & open skies
11-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi Shanti:

I have been using 9 point expanded most of the time but have not had time to try all of the AF combinations to really understand which will work best under a particular situation. Since the K3 AF options are greater than previous models it will take a while to figure this out. i have found though that I can focus moe closely on a subject due to having more focus points compared to the K5IIs.

Dale
01-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #8

The focus hunting issue was one of the things that made me give up on Pentax — glad to hear that it has improved a lot — changing to Nikon turned the kettle around, so now maybe 10% is unfocused and the hunting is almost nil. How much this has to do with change of sensor size!