Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much do you trust DxO Marks' tests?

Just asking, because according to DxO Marks, the Nikon D7100 edges out the K3 on image quality, although by a small margin and probably imperceptible to a non-robot.

Pentax K-3 Versus competition - DxOMark

11-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Their measurements seem legit. The way they express them, however, can be a pure WTF?! sometimes.
11-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DxOMark don't really measure IQ, it only measure a few parameters of IQ.
For what they are I trust these tests, but they don't tell the whole story.
11-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Very well put. Though I find technical tests entertaining and occasionally educational, their value to me is minimal. I, for one, don't purchase a camera with the intent of its earning a high sensor score from lab tests. My purpose is photography: to make photographs.

M

11-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
DxOMark don't really measure IQ, it only measure a few parameters of IQ.

True.
11-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sometimes we may want to shoot the messenger, but DxO seem reliable and competent.

One criticism of them it is that they probably don't use a large enough sample size for their lens or body tests. It's not always clear whether they test 20 copies of each body or lens and are using the best sample as the basis of their tests, or they use an average, or only use one lens or body per test, with all the issues of sample variation that entails, especially for lenses.
11-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Only trust them when they give pentax the highest score.

11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

DXOMark

I prefer field tests with images. I cannot get my eyes around those weird patterns. Look like test patterns on TV from the 1950's. Probably are. I guess that ages me pretty accurately!

In reviews, I stare and read over and over on auto-focus issues (if any), CA issues, lens performance with full sun hitting the scene, color of images, saturation of images.

BTW, I am somewhat of a newbie of Lens Lust, having recently been attacked by it. So any lens I think I may want, I have to see sample pics, read user accounts, and then I compare to alternate lens choices. The test pattern images seem to my aging eyes just so much techie junk.

Show me field photos, please!

I suppose the DxoMark tests do accurately measure differences in lenses. I cannot see those differences in the tests.

waterfall
11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We take a lot on trust, in terms of the objectivity and rigour of their testing procedures, and sample size is one thing people don't often think about, but which bothers me. You'd hope they would undertake testing of samples over a period of time to avoid batch problems and to comprehend minor software changes etc, but that's probably asking too much for a commercial enterprise to do. If our friend Falk Lumo were to do the same things, I reckon I'd be better assured of at least being told about the scope of testing and any associated caveats, if such were the case. As it is, I have no evidence to not trust DxO for what they produce but, as others have said, it isn't the whole story.
11-26-2013, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Just asking, because according to DxO Marks, the Nikon D7100 edges out the K3 on image quality, although by a small margin and probably imperceptible to a non-robot.

Pentax K-3 Versus competition - DxOMark
Their tests don't factor in resolution, which is something you therefore have to look at on your own. For the most part, their metrics are great but they in no way to they replace field tests IMO

Nobody said the K-3's sensor had to be better than the D7100's- but it seems that the difference is negligible. The K-3 continues to have many advantages over the D7100, and the opposite applies as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2013, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think DXO Mark is very trustworthy. When they say that the D7100 has 0.3 EV more dynamic range at iso 100, I think that is exactly what they measured. However, If you look at the numbers, being able to measure a difference doesn't mean that it will end up being something you can see in the real world. For instance, the "sports iso" score for the D7100 is 1256, while the sports score for the K3 is 1216. I don't believe for an instant that you could tell the difference.

The other thing that becomes apparent looking at the dynamic range graph is that Nikon fudges their iso numbers considerably, while Pentax iso numbers are pretty accurate. At iso 6400 Nikon D7100 measures 4516, while the Pentax K3 measures 6057. It still does appear that the Nikon has a hair more DR throughout the range, but that fudging certainly gives Nikon an added edge at most stated iso points.

I don't think DXO Mark tests for banding and that is one thing the Toshiba sensor seems more prone to do than the Sony sensor, for what it is worth.
11-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Only trust them when they give pentax the highest score
No problem there. That'll happen right after DPR gives Pentax the highest score. For anything.
Both these sites have a clear, unmistakable Canon/Nikon bias. Even when the numbers tell a different story, the 'conclusion'?
Occasionally, either one will use Sony (or occasionally Pentax) to chide Nikon/Canon for not matching the 'little guys' on a given feature. But again, all is forgiven (overlooked, ignored) when the final summary is reached. They pat the unwanted intruder on the head and shoo them away. Grownups only.
Usually it starts with "Despite the slightly higher score of (your choice, Sony, Fuji or Pentax) in this seldom-used (high ISO performance, frame rate, color rendition, detail, handling, body construction, handling, metering accuracy, weather resistance, your choice again) feature, over-all the Canon/Nikon is the clear winner."
And all is normal and right with the world. As they see it.
JMO, YMMV,
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 11-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
11-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A lot of good feedback. My takeaway from the numbers is that the difference in dynamic range and high ISO performance, if accurate, would be too small to be noticeable by the typical humanoid.....
11-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

I do find the DXO measurements very useful, specially the dynamic range, and for those saying they are biased remember the K5 not long was on their list the best APS-C, and right below some FF and medium format bodies
11-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
I do find the DXO measurements very useful, specially the dynamic range, and for those saying they are biased remember the K5 not long was on their list the best APS-C, and right below some FF and medium format bodies
The thing that made the K5 great (and better than other APS-C bodies with regard to dynamic range) was its phenomenal iso 80. For whatever reason, Pentax didn't offer that on the K3, I suppose because it wouldn't have actually improved the dynamic range at all. Still, even back then, I felt that the difference in the measurements between the K5 and the D7000 was not truly significant.